Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Collective Noun?
  • ronjeremy
    Free Member

Evening all, just back from a cheeky mid week road ride and I popped into see some friends on the way home, whilst having a cup of tea, talk turned to cycling and cycling culture/lifestyle, (both girls aren’t cyclists) and I tried to explain the enjoyment of riding with freinds, and they then tried to define what you would call a group of cyclists, the highlights (?) being A Rash, and An Irritant. So is there an actually collective noun to define us and if not how would you describe a group of cyclist other than as a group of cyclists?

RoterStern
    Free Member

a peleton?

benjag
    Free Member

only for the road riders!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

a faff of mountainbikers

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Good call there TJ, I like ‘faff’ I did think fettle, but wasn’t sure if it sounded right.

thepurist

Surely you need a different noun for each category:

A gnarr of downhillers
    A mince of XCers
    A beard of singlespeeders
    A stoke of freeriders
    A roll of 29ers

fadda

I have a collective noun for ramblers – a “Chunter”…

boxfish
    Free Member

It’s a “tut” of ramblers, surely?

How about a knobble of mountain bikers?

votchy
    Free Member

a bimble of mtb’ers

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Okay winning so far are ‘faff’ and ‘bimble’ any others, and no it’s not going to be a CTBM sticker fest competition, but then again…..

tazzymtb

surely that should be a “meander” of singlespeeders

TheFlyingOx

A magnificence of …

jimjam
    Free Member

ron jeremy
    whilst having a cup of tea, talk turned to cycling and cycling culture/lifestyle, (both girls aren’t cyclists) and they then tried to define what you would call a group of cyclists, the highlights (?) being A Rash, and An Irritant.

I take it at this stage you smashed the cup on the floor and made a dirty protest on the table?

Anyway, I’ll go with ….
    A moan of roadies.
    A waffle of single speeders.
    A mince of XC racers.
    A rabble of DH’ers.
    A shamble of weekend warriors.

And if I tried typing the collective noun for brompton riders I might be banned.

tazzymtb

Forum
    Using
    Cyclists
    With
    I
    T
    Skills

I think the acronym is quite fitting 😀

lucien

I’m not going any where near this thread now the MODS will be alerted 😳

Macavity
    Free Member

Psychosis
    Psychosis is a condition that affects a person’s mind and causes changes to the way that they think, feel and behave. A person who experiences psychosis may be unable to distinguish between reality and their imagination.

richmtb

a “ruckus” of mountain bikers

epicyclo

A drone of STWers?

Andy-R

I always use a “Scutch” – I’ll come home after a ride and my wife will ask if I saw anyone else while I was out and I’ll say “I saw a whole scutch of them up in the plantation”.

Same as somebody being described as having a scutch of kids…..

neninja
    Free Member

If it’s our group on a Sunday mtb ride it would be a ‘shower’ of mountain bikers

If it’s the local roadie club who insist in riding 4 abreast on single width country lanes round here it would be a ‘bell-end’ of roadies

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Collective Noun?’ is closed to new replies.