Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • “collecting” fresh phesants
  • saladdodger
    Free Member

I fancy some fresh phesant and there is loads arround here in devon

So time for a bit of poaching 😈

Any tips snares etc excluding a 12 bore cos they are a bit loud

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Snares are nasty, cruel implements.

Shoot them. Learn to do it properly.

Kill it and gril it.

markenduro
    Free Member

Car, run em over, it tenderises them as well:0
    Best casorroled with carrots and onions, it keeps the meat nice and moist.
    Skinning them is also a lot faster than plucking.

geoffj

All you need to know about pheasant poaching.

IIRC something about sticky cones and raisins with hairs through them – its been a while since I read t mind (30 years?).

silverside
    Free Member

lol @ geoffj… class book tho

SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

There’s loads around here too. Shame, given the countries heritage, that I’m not allowed to use this:

🙁

markenduro
    Free Member

Not really a shame is it, you and weapons is a mix that scares the life out of me. Stick to the kerbstones…
    Are you out on Sat?

SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

Yes mate. My fitness is so low, I feel too knackered if I ride the morning, to catch up with you guys in the afternoon. Gotta start and motivate myself a bit more though – intended going to the gym tonight, but that didn’t happen.

I really wanna shoot something with that bow damnit!

🙁

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Steve, whereabouts are you? I know of several folks out around my country pad who are more than happy to have people turn up and bag a few bunnies with a bow….! Tough shooting, mind you.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Tut tut tut – poaching.

saladdodger
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    Snares are nasty, cruel implements.

Shoot them. Learn to do it properly

Sod the animal welfare I want to eat em, on the same score a quick kill is better

My understanding of poaching means blowing the cute little birdies to bits is alot obvious

STB nice toy btw

SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

I’m in the Midlands Captain. Bow hunting is illegal here, unlike the US where they’re happy to bag a Grizzly with one.

Bow is a bit of a white elephant. I had a real, if not very powerfull bow when I was a kid, and had great fun with it – it would fire an arrow probably 2/3 of a field. This thing will fire across about 3 fields, and you struggle to find the arrows again, so it’s fairly unusable except for firing at a target. I went to an archery club a few times, but they weren’t my cup of tea.

Jamz
    Free Member

You’re about 3 weeks too late mate; otherwise I would have come and shot a couple for you.

I think the best bet would be to ‘accidently’ run one over next time you see one in the car. Just don’t let it go under the wheels otherwise your only option will be pheasant pancakes.

BTW, poaching is illegal hunting so you probably just want to hunt them.

SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

Didn’t shoot these with my bow unfortunately:

halfbee
    Free Member

The seasons closed – leave them alone to do what birds do in the spring.

PePPeR

I’ll follow halfbee, leave them alone its their breeding season now, let them get on with it and try again in November.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

go and speak to the landowner and ask how much, they normally sell them off cheap after too many get shot

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘“collecting” fresh phesants’ is closed to new replies.