Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)
  • Colleagues allowed to leave because it's snowing and you have to stay….DISCUSS
  • uplink
    Free Member

look at it this way

Every other day you're home before them

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I expect I will have fun going home this afternoon, and tomorrow not be able to get out of my road until I've spent the morning digging snow*. By the evening I expect they will have cleared the main roads over the Mendip.

Very likely to be bid writing at home tomorrow then.

*I need a decent shovel

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I'd like to wager that if you could survey everyone who doesn't 'make it in' or that 'has to go home early' that most of them would be salaried workers

See, us hourly paid lot simply don't get paid if we don't get in.
    So I'd imagine most of us will get in through pretty much anything tomorrow……..

(It's forcast to dump on us very heavily tonight. I'll be riding the 7 miles to work in the morning, I shall report back on my findings tomorrow if I remember… 🙂 )

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bigyinn
    Free Member

Whilst we're all ranting.

Can someone explain why people are allowed to work from home if they live within an hours travel of the office?
    Most of the wasters here (read sales dept.) get to work from home when it suits them. Sorry, but if they are within 30miles of the office they should be made to come in to the office.
    I could quite easily work from home and do my work with no issue whatsoever, but its not permitted for support staff (even though it would save me £200+ a month).
    Bitter and jealous i am. Grrr.

Milkie
    Free Member

I've made it known that everyone is expected, the snow is no excuse, unless the schools are closed and they have kids to look after. I live the furthest away at 4 miles.

Would love a snow day, snowmen/tobogganing, friends get snow days when the buses aren't running! Gits!

rOcKeTdOg

at work, people who live near enough to walk home have to stay, i don't so i left, current conditions meant it took 10 mins less time than normal to get home, hoping for more snow tonight so i can stay off tomorrow!

markgraylish
    Free Member

I used to live and work in Lytham St Annes.

One of my colleagues used to commute in from somewhere on the moors above Oldham every single day, irrespective of how much snow (60 miles each way). Yet another colleague who lived less than a mile away didn't make it into work on the one day that Lytham had snow because (and I quote) she didn't have the right shoes for walking to work FFS!!

stilltortoise
    Free Member

When I was a little lad I remember sitting on the bonnet of my Dad's car as he "drove" over Long Hill (Buxton) through mucho white stuff. My brother and sister were pushing and digging. We could have walked home quicker but in those days people went out in the car prepared for snow – chains, shovels, big coats etc. Now few people bother and there's many more cars on the road. Cue recipe for disaster.

That said, as someone who can easily work from home, I don't make too much effort to get on the road if heavy snow is on its way.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

bigyinn I sympathise with the inequality/stupidity of it.

My parter 100% home-works (web content manager and book editor) and it has significant problems. I could not do what she does.

But I could do 50% of my job BETTER in peaceful surroundings at home, and save money, road-space, parking-space and the environment. But face-time is considered the normal way of supervising people.

I think employers need to wise up about using proper management e.g. goal setting, checking, communication; and technology, e.g. laptops, broadband, telecons, VPN, Skype, Twitter; to support more home-working for office-type work.

chewkw
    Free Member

Ask for an increment as you are the one working.

allthepies
    Free Member

Get over it already.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

We had this last feb when it snowed. 5 full timers (inc 2 out of 3 directors) made it into work out of 20, all the freelancers did, including one who lives in Brighton (although he was an hour late). We had one girl who lived less than 1/2 a mile away say she couldn't make it – we offered to send a car to get her and she still refused. She got a right bollocking.

All those who didn't get in were made to take it as a days holiday. Fair play I feel.

darrell
    Free Member

nothing like this would happen here in Norway. bunch of **** skivers in the UK

bonj
    Free Member

It could be said that if you're driving then it's immoral going to work, because you're blocking up the roads for people for whom it's more essential that they get to work.
    People don't understand the meaning of 'only drive if you have to'. They consider that their journey is essential, even though it is only essential TO THEM. The employers are to blame just as much (if not more) than the staff, for making people take it out of their holidays etc.

I should add that i'm probably being fairly hypocritical, 'cos if i was on hourly pay, then i would try to get in if i thought it was physically possible and not dangerous
    BUT i'm one of the lucky ones, i can work from home (and am going to tomorrow), I'll probably in fact get MORE done, as i won't be being talked to at.

Kahurangi

Northumberland – don't think anyone in our office has been absent and blamed it on the snow. Some have been delayed and some have stayed over at someone else's as their house is inaccessible!

cheers_drive

nothing like this would happen here in Norway. bunch of **** skivers in the UK

That's because your roads / cars / transport system are designed for this type of weather which you get every year. Here it is a rare occurrence so we're not set up for it.

We were sent home at 3ish after it started snowing heavily. I work for a fairly large employer (1000ish people in a rural location which forces most people to do a 1hr commute from various large towns and cities in the South West. We were told to expect the site to be closed tomorrow but we must work from home which because I have a workstation instead of a laptop involved me lugging all of the equipment down to my car before I could leave.
    It suits me if I can't go in as I'll get much more done at home in half the time enabling me to go for a snow ride 😀

luke
    Free Member

No snow here, but if we do get some, then I expect about 10% of the staff to turn up tommorow.
    The boss appreciates people who put in the effort, so I know it will be worth my while getting to work, whatever the weather.

alwyn
    Free Member

Pah… I'm still cycling to and from work in Glasgow, snow's no excuse!

kennyp
    Free Member

If you choose to live so far from your place of work (I know, I can here the "it's the only job I can get complaints already; no it isn't) that you have travel problems then that's too bad. The time should either be made up or you take a holiday. It's not fair on the ones who make the effort to get in.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

"The boss appreciates people who put in the effort,"

herein lies the problem…

If you turn up you appear to be making an effort when in fact you're surfing singletrackworld all day. Or may being distracted by pointless meetings and enquiries.

Stay at home and do a day's work in the morning, then ride in the afternoon. win win

Top.Dog
    Free Member

My wife works at a local school, which was closed today and will be closed again tomorrow.

It's only 10 mins walk from the house so she can easily make the trip on foot. As the school is closed, she will not be paid (unlike the salaried teachers)

bag of shite loosing two days pay at this time of year

owenfackrell
    Free Member

oldgit – Member
    Now I'm going to punch myself in my own head for asking this, but how do they cope elsewhere. I mean this winter weather could last err erm well all winter what with your actual global warming and all that.

I know that in New york they have a snow day and shut the entire city but everyone is expected to make up the time.

mountainposture

All of my staff turned up for work today – eventually. Some of them took a long time to get in travelling through hazardous conditions of various sorts. For those who travel the furthest we keep an eye on conditions and send them home early if we think it will make their journeys safer and their lives just a little bit less unpleasant. We had enough to close the place so that was all that was required. None of them was taking the rip or making demands but were frankly concerned about their journeys.

I'm lucky, I live a ten minute walk from work and I am happy to stay to cover if someone else can't make it or is worried about their journey. I'd rather do a bit more myself and have everyone safe. The staff who went early today will make it up somehow but it might not necessarily be in time. There's more ways to make the working world go round.

RichPenny
    Free Member

face-time is considered the normal way of supervising people.

?

No snow here in Salisbury yet, and not really seen any horrendous conditions yet this winter. I'll ride in regardless, 10 miles in and 5 home, or 10 if the snow is fun and I fancy off road 🙂 Bring it on…

I think some people won't make it in, but I don't think they'd be paid. I'm happy for them if they want time off, but I love my job and I'm **** busy, so I'm happy for me too 🙂

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

face time

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

See Mountainposture has a sensible approach. If you start telling people if they can't get in then those skivvers will take the pee already. As for people with children who's schools get shut, they should be made to take leave as well. Oh well I'll be making the 18 mile trip to work come hell or high water just means preparing better and leaving earlier. As for those who "can't get off the driveway" well don't park there he snows been forecast for a while 😉

rOcKeTdOg

looking out of the window i should have parked 4 miles away then 🙁

public transport for me tomorrow i think, don't want to block emergency services on the roads tomorrow

zaskar
    Free Member

It's not fair but if they manage to get home does that mean when it snows they can't come to work and you have to?

Crazy.

Worse than smokers going out for 3 hrs a day for ciggs!

Sue_W
    Free Member

mmm … so if you tell people they either must come in or have to take it as (a) holiday (if they coincidently have some left to take at that particular point) or (b) make up the time (if they have the type of work that allows them to do that). For those that can't do (a) or (b) then you have to lose a day's pay. After all, you've 'choosen' to live too far away from where you work. For my partner (a) and (b) aren't an option – so this morning he biked down the mountainside, to his van which is parked low down, struggled in bad weather to get to his job which is 40 miles away. Had to leave at 1pm as the weather conditions in north wales had got so bad. Therefore loses pay, and possibly won't be able to get in tomorrow either. He's not a skiver, and didn't 'chose' to have a job so far away. He used to work only 5 miles from home but the company went bust, and this was the nearest alternative job he could find – with a mortgage to pay we don't have luxury of waiting around for a job closer to home to come up.

So, is it fair that he needs to either risk an accident / injury struggling to get to work, or has to lose pay becuase he can't get in, when he always does as much as he possibly can to get there and work the hours required (as opposed to all those people who can get in and then sit around talking or surfing t'internet).

Northwind

I'm commuting 3 miles by mountain bike so short of fire and brimstone I can get to work and back, no probs. So, I'll happily stay at work when other people are facing difficult and possibly dangerous commutes, to me it's only reasonable. And in return, I get plus points and general gratitude.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

wow didn't think this would provoke such discussion…

it is hard one..

i actually got loads of work done today without the rest of the freaks in.

its just the excitment and look of glee in their faces as the first flake of snow drops down and they start hatching their escape plans…. its like they have a god given right to go home

by the way i have no chance of taking the day off, the boss is a family member. maybe thats why i take it a bit more personally i guess.

i reckon the best solution is that the itme you leave is noted and then added up till the end of the normal working day, then you have to work this back during the year, if yuo dont it is taken out of your annual leave.

and as ive said i bet you a million pounds the 'offenders' will work the full day

hey ho!

Ed2001
    Free Member

"rest of the freaks" you really aren't a team player are you monkey_boy which maybe the reason everyone else went home and left you to "man the fort"

dangriff
    Free Member

Where I work, people will come and go as they please if they want to worry about the weather. I guarantee that all will make the time up. No one watches or comments, but loyalty and commitment are rewarded when pay reviews and promotions are concerned.

crazy-legs

I'd say that if the person elcts to "work from home" or have a snow day then it should be taken as holiday or unpaid leave, if the person gets sent home from work by management then it's a day off with no penalties!

Northwind

That doesn't make much sense… If people can't get to work at all the weather's probably worse than if they get to work then get sent home, so what you're saying is give people the day off when it's just a bit snowy but make them take a holiday when it's really snowy.

The trouble, is pisstakers, as ever. There's always someone out to take advantage. To me this means the solution is to treat people like adults, but if you catch them on the make, destroy them utterly. A couple of years ago, people local to my office said "We can't make it in", so when I turned up from 10 miles away, by motorbike, the boss wasn't too pleased with them. But by the same token, after that, if I phone in and say I can't make it, they know it's legit. Just the same as illness etc.

jam-bo

I'd like to wager that if you could survey everyone who doesn't 'make it in' or that 'has to go home early' that most of them would be salaried workers

swings and roundabouts. This 'salaried' worker does plenty of hours I'm not paid for…

MrOvershoot

jam bo – Member

swings and roundabouts. This 'salaried' worker does plenty of hours I'm not paid for…

Same as you mate & I stayed on 3 hours last night as the roads were gridlocked so I just waited till the traffic died down, got home 1/4 hour after some of my staff who had left 3 hours before me, and my journey is longer!

stealthcat

I reckon my company got it about right last year. Anyone who turned up on the worst day got a "snow day" to be taken when it suited them. Anyone who didn't turn up when most of the staff had made it in had it deducted from their flexi time.

With the net result that only one person hasn't made it in our department today…

Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘Colleagues allowed to leave because it's snowing and you have to stay….DISCUSS’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts