Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)
  • Colleagues allowed to leave because it's snowing and you have to stay….DISCUSS
  • monkey_boy
    Free Member

I'm going to sound a right Victor Meldrew now but anyway…

I happen to live 3 miles from work, others in the office live about 8-10 miles away but they live on 'higher ground' apparently having much thicker deposits of snow, the same people have been let go early so they can make their way home. All leaving with grins on their faces I like to add…

I can understand if you do live in these areas and if you have to pick up kids etc…. BUT

Should they have to…

A – Work these hours back

B – Take the time off as holidays

C – Have the hours off taken out of their salary.

D – ?

Because it is not exactly fair that I have to sit here, answer the phones and take calls for the missing collegues…

I'm sure I'm not the only one, I could bet you a virtual tenner aswell If one of the above was implemented in here the people would think twice about leaving.

Smee
    Free Member

Chimp.

twinklydave

People here are allowed to go – but have to take it as holiday/flexi leave. I get the sneaking suspicion that people will be 'forgetting' to add it to their holiday records though…

I can pretty much guarantee I'll be the only one in tomorrow as I only live 4 miles away and will therefore be to blame for everything that goes wrong 😕

iDave
    Free Member

Fair? Who invited fair to the party?

poisonspider
    Free Member

Is your Boss one of those who's gone early? Rank has its privilidges after all.

I'd record all the additional hours you have put in whilst your colleagues have left early and ask for them off at some other time to ride your bike. That's only fair. It depends on how much of a tool your Boss is.

IanMunro
    Free Member

DT78
    Free Member

Have a thought for your teamleader/manager who will be hauled over hot coals for why nothing has been delivered for the best part of december/january.

People claiming to 'work from home' here….

May as well write January off as well if the forecasts are to be believed

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

FFS – snow isn't an excuse to have time off for free. Your colleagues risk not being to make it home, you don't appear to have the same risk.

I walked to work because I can. No-one else has come in as they all have longer drives. I ain't complaining cos that is the way it is.

wors

ask for an extra 1/2 day holiday in lieu.

Dickyboy

just think of all that time they waste day in day out having to travel that much further everyday to work normally…. & then stop your bl..dy whining

retro83
    Free Member

wee in shoes, poo in desk drawers etc

ton

sat here by my self
    sent the drivers home, one lives other side of bradford, one lives in penistone, we are in leeds.
    sent my lad and bro in law home cos his car is stuck from this morning.
    i rode in, it took me 5 mins longer than usual, i will ride home .

MTFU…………. 😉

davidrussell
    Free Member

time must be made up. simples.

uplink
    Free Member

grow up

oldgit
    Free Member

Don't worry Victor, they'll be the first against the wall come the revolution.
    Like I said in a previous post, don't take a job you can't turn up for.

Now I'm going to punch myself in my own head for asking this, but how do they cope elsewhere. I mean this winter weather could last err erm well all winter what with your actual global warming and all that.

TooTall
    Free Member

M(onkey)TFU

Life isn't fair. It is the way of the world. Just be glad for their good fortune rather than wallowing in your own pool of pity. Karma will sort it all out eventually.

Lardy_biker
    Free Member

MTFU

Its just a bit of snow, you watch the South deal with this in the propper manner tomos……..

Day off for me (in london) i think.

oldgit
    Free Member

I've made myself all angry now.
    I mean FFS winter weather arriving in the winter who'd have thunk it.
    Don't people consider this when chosing where they live and work?

odannyboy
    Free Member

put your feet up, make a cuppa and get on the internet…oh you are!… 😉

gazman
    Free Member

i would love to be in your situation but as a self employed builder i`m **** like most of the others just grin and bear it man,

hora
    Free Member

put your feet up, make a cuppa and get on the internet…oh you are

+1. Then………Move further out for next year?

mudshark
    Free Member

I can work at home just as well as in the office but my OM wants me to be in – I've got a nasty cyst on my bum too.

cp

our place is closing early so everyone has the time off. i think it should be a case of if some people go early, they make the time up/use holiday.

skidartist
    Free Member

I've got a nasty cyst on my bum too.

I've got post traumatic stress disorder, its just come on in the last minute or two

Skyliner
    Free Member

I have no choice (OR DO I) I've been told if work is shut tomorrow I HAVE to take it as holiday. But I'm perfectly capable of walking in and carrying out my contractual duties!!

Notter
    Free Member

You know they've all really gone to the pub don't you?
    😉

timc
    Free Member

dont do anywork & go on the singletrack forum…

grunty
    Free Member

Work do have the right to shut the office/factory and make you take it as holiday, but I belive notice must be given (same as you would give notice for a holiday request) that they are doing it. I don't think it can be an inpromptu thing.

satsoma
    Free Member

Employees here have been told they either take it as holiday, unpaid leave or they have to make up every single last minute.

I'm going to struggle in/drink tea and browse the internet all day, I'm not wasting a day's holiday just to sit at home on my tod!

fubar
    Free Member

Employer being pleasant to employees (Except you) shocker!

Life isn't fair…you might get your bit of good luck before you die…or you might not.

p.s. grin on my face…sofa is very comfy…off for a cuppa and a bit of xbox

uplink
    Free Member

I have no choice (OR DO I) I've been told if work is shut tomorrow I HAVE to take it as holiday

depends on your terms & conditions
    Do they allow the company to tell you when to take holiday?

DrJ

Think how good you will look in year-end appraisals 🙂

scruff
    Free Member

My boss has effed off and left the local workers here. They are worried about getting home, I am looking forward to skidding about on my 700x28c commuter.

miketually
    Free Member

Arre all your colleagues teachers? Apparently, the whole world has got to work and it's just teachers who are not in.

mudshark
    Free Member

I have no choice (OR DO I)

There's no 'I' in 'Team'…. 😉

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Life's an absolute shitter.

br
    Free Member

But there is ME!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I can see where Monkey Boy is coming from! there will always be people in certain jobs who will also take the pi** and claim they can't get to work when you know full well that others from that area have! in this situation then it's right they are forced to take annual leave/TOIL or RDIL. Sod it, I'll struggle to work as I certainly won't want to be out playing with snowballs! But hey karma will work itself out have you never seen My Name is Earl!??

monkey_boy
    Free Member

bloody hell how many replies…

ive come down off my horse now after 3 mince pies and numerous cups of coffee…

irony is the snow stopped falling an hour ago!

mudshark
    Free Member

I thought about what I'd do if I was a manager…and decided that the fairest thing is to say that those that can't get in don't have to take it as holiday but they are expected to make up the time by working late or whatever suits. I think no-one wins or loses this way….

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘Colleagues allowed to leave because it's snowing and you have to stay….DISCUSS’ is closed to new replies.