• This topic has 11 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Aidy.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Coleman duel fuel twin burner for family camping
  • TheBrick
    Free Member

I have a old calor gas twin stove plus grill for family camping. I find the big bottle bulky and that it is not that powerful. I have a single coleman petrol burner for solo dirt bag trips so thinking of the twin burner to replace the calor gas stove. Is this stupid? or genius?

jamiea
    Free Member

My old Explorer Scout Unit had a 3 burner jobbie with a griddle pan sourced from Canada. Excellent bit of kit. I’d be worried about using my petrol MSR stove around kids, but the Coleman is much less like a space shuttle at launch!

squirrelking
    Free Member

I brought them up on another thread recently and was heartily congratulated! I love mine, if you have the single burner I don’t need to say too much about reliability and operation, the only thing is it doesn’t perform quite as well with both burners on due to pressure drop but not anything drastic, I look at the second burner as more of a secondary for simmering. I can still boil a kettle on the second ring whilst whatever cooks on the first (or vice versa as per priorities) though.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I replied in agreement to squirrelling on that thread, I’ll do the same here.

Great bit of kit if used within its limitations. There is at least one person on here that claims it’s unusable because you have to fiddle with it when using both burners so take that as you will. (You operate the second burner using both knobs)

Del

Having bought the twin first, then picked up a single afterwards, I’d just get a couple of singles and some sort of wind shield. If you have a problem with a pump or something you’re down two rings on the twin. The twin also isn’t the most compact thing in the world (I realise we’re talking about car camping here but still) either. The single also seems a lot quicker to boil even compared to running one ring on the twin.

Controversial perhaps!

joshvegas
    Free Member

I don’t think it’s too controversial I can see the arguments. But the case format is quite handy. And it’s a very stable set up if you like a massive cast iron pan.

I quite like a primus stove as well.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Interesting note about using two rings, not really an issue to me.

Another interesting point about getting a second single burner but I do like the case format for pack ability and the stability especially as my other half loves to use a wok for everything!

Thanks for the thoughts!

molgrips
    Free Member

There is at least one person on here that claims it’s unusable because you have to fiddle with it when using both burners so take that as you will. (You operate the second burner using both knobs)

Me, possibly. I’ve complained about it before. The second burner is operated off the first one if you are trying to simmer two things you are constantly adjusting knobs, it’s a massive ball-ache. Unless they’ve changed it? I got rid of mine. I’d rather have two single Coleman stoves.

It also rattles like a m*****f***** in the back of the car.

Mister-P
    Free Member

This reminds me, I have one in the cellar that hasn’t been used in years. I should probably get rid of it.

dyna-ti

Currently one on ebay- nearly new. Retail at £200, so probably make at least a good saving , or for a song if if youre lucky.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/374243690827?hash=item5722a9894b:g:bcIAAOSwOQdjF7GO

jamiea
    Free Member

It also rattles like a m*****f***** in the back of the car.

Shirley nothing the judicious use of some old tea towels would solve?

Aidy
    Free Member

Coleman dual burners are great. The only thing is to make sure that everyone who’s likely to want to light it is happy with/competent enough to do so. I’ve seen people try to cook on a clearly unprimed stove with fumes billowing out of the open secondary hob…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.