Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Coldest night of the year so far, who else is in the Freezing Commute Smug Club?
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

4.5 mile run pre work, was 1deg, but felt shit loads colder, for the first couple of miles anyway. No as dodgy as cycling on icy roads, and warm up quicker too.

s1m0n
    Free Member

21km, mainly offroad in -4C (according to my Garmin). Liked crunching through the ice.
    Took a while for my thumbs to warm up though.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Motorcycle commute for me as per usual. Interesting to note that windchill isn’t as low as I’d expect only -12’C
    Much preferred it to the wet sleety ride back home though.

zippykona

I taped up the vents on my helmet last night.
    This morning’s ride in was lush.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

1 mile from the station to home this morning, it was -3 and very greasy on the roads.

DezB
    Free Member

First day I’ve needed the fleece headband and (lovely) softshell underjacket (don’t know it’s official name, but it’s niiice!) Can’t have been much below zero here though. Cos nearer the equator.
    Hope the rain holds off at goin home time, cos that will be cold n nasty

robgclarkson
    Free Member

checking in… -4 this morning, there’s an old lad on security who is always amazed i ride in no matter what the weather, so this morning he was even more full of praise, makes me feel good anyway

highlandman
    Free Member

Also, cold air is denser than warmer air, plus more clothes = more drag so no surprise that we’re a bit slower.

matt_outandabout

Day off, so the ‘commute’ was an icy wander up Meall na h-lolaire and Meall Odhar with mrs_oab.
    🏔️🌨️☀️☀️☀️☀️

P-Jay
    Free Member

Nah, but I did go for a night ride last night. Holy Tap Dancing Christ it was cold.

MoreCashThanDash

Day off here, but can I backdate my smugness to a -3 commute I did at the end of September? Let’s just say I hadn’t been prepared for it to that cold on that particular morning.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Anyone else find they slow down massively in the cold? For me it seems to be about a 2mph drop in average speed when it gets below about 5 degrees

Yep. I did wonder if it was just me so I’m glad to hear it’s not.

prawny

I quit last week, just not feeling safe in this weather.

Anyone want to buy some barely used winter boots and continue Nordic spikes?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Missed the cold snap the last two mornings, rain tonight and all tomorrow has raised the temp to approx +6C feels like +3C for the 0600 commute in.

So the Marathon Cross stay on, with the Gradval spike tyres on standby.

cdoc
    Free Member

Shorts, tshirt and a fleece this morning, was a bit dithering at the start, though!

Your brain is also sending the ‘er this isn’t right’ signals

Yeah, my brain must have a different assessment of ‘weird’. The winter days or torrential rain are the times that I can ride harder, faster and further. Can’t ride for shit and lose all stamina at anything over 22C, though.

Brainflex

And there I was complaining that it was +32C on my ride home yesterday!

squirrelking
    Free Member

I was due to do it but an outer link popping off 10 mins from home finished that.

bigjim

lovely frozen commute in Copenhagen this morning, apparently they clear the cycle paths (which are on almost every road) before the roads here so looking forward to whatever the literally Baltic weather brings

scotroutes

Cold?

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Coldest night of the year so far, who else is in the Freezing Commute Smug Club?’ is closed to new replies.