Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Cold winter rides and warm drinks
  • MSP

Has anyone found anything suitable for carrying a warm drink on long cold winter rides?

duncancallum

I believe the singletrack shop has the very thing you Need

scruff9252

A Carradice saddle pack containing a gilet, a bit of foam mat to sit on (so you don’t get a cold bum), a hat and a flask of coffee.

Thank me later.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jobro
    Free Member

I look forward to some suggestions here as I’ve never found anything keeps coffee hot for very long and that includes Klean Kanteen.

dovebiker

Lifeventure do a small flask that fits in a bottle cage. I have a couple that I’d put in a pair of Alpkit feedpouches on my handlebars for day trips in the Arctic at -20C – still warm after a few hours.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve got a cup holder from PDW that holds something the shape of a takeaway cup on my handlebars. You need a travel mug that matches that shape to go with it though.

There used to be a Trek bottle cage and matching thermal mug for this purpose, it came on that belt drive commuter thing they did – not sure if it’s still available.

*Googles*

Well it appears but but your best bet might be this cage that carries a variety of shapes besides the standard bottle fitting. You could easily get the right shape thermal mug or flask in here:

https://www.cyclemiles.co.uk/shop/brompton-gifts/monkii-cage-bicycle-bottle-cage/#.Y3JA1uzP349

Mister-P
    Free Member

My Elite Deboyo is one of my favourite riding accessories. I often go for a pre-work ride with it full of tea, like my jaunt along the canal towpath this morning. It’s bottle cage size and keeps tea hot for ages, longer than I can ride for. It wasn’t the cheapest but it’s at least 3 years old so it had repaid the initial outlay.

https://www.freewheel.co.uk/elite-deboyo-race-stainless-steel-vacuum-bottle-550-ml-silver-12-hours-thermal-bt60106

ampthill

The lifeventure vacuum mug is ace. Great for hot drinks. During lock down when I was feeling the lack of cafe stops I put a sausage casserole in one and ate it in a rap

With any flask you can keep the temperature up by preheating the flash and ensuring the beverage goes in really hot

https://www.lifeventure.com/products/cookware/thermal-mug

stumpy01

I’ve got a Contigo travel cup that keeps drinks almost too hot. They take ages to cool down.
    I would have thought any decent brand of flask/insulated container would do the job.

As above – pre-heat the flask & make sure the drink going in is hot hot hot.
    You could always wrap it in a tea towel or something as well to keep even more heat in.

MSP

That Elite Deboyo looks just the job.

I would have thought any decent brand of flask/insulated container would do the job.

They would if they fitted securely in a bottle cage, I am guessing that most won’t.

gingerflash

Camelbak Hot Cap.
    Metal insulated thing. We find that the drink stays too hot, if anything. If I want to be able to drink the coffee in the next 3-4 hours, i usually add an ice cube when i make it. Not much danger of your hot drink going cold during a typical winter ride.
    It fits in a normal bottle cage too.

gingerflash

“pre-heat the flask & make sure the drink going in is hot hot hot.”

BTW – my comments do not include this at all. Flask from the cupboard and coffee from a bean-to-cup machine, which is not as hot as from the kettle.

ton

scruff9252
    A Carradice saddle pack containing a gilet, a bit of foam mat to sit on (so you don’t get a cold bum), a hat and a flask of coffee.

Thank me later.

this is my way also. just perfect when a packet of Tunnocks is added to the bag.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

I’m a bit confused what the challenge is. On the very very* rare occasions when I’m going on a long winter ride with no refreshments I take my 35 year old Vango stainless steel flask full of hot drink. Not sure what the issue is.

The only time I’ve actually done this in 5 years was when I did a metric ton off road ride during the Beast from the east in lockdown. Mind numbingly ferociously cold, no cafes, on the go for 7+ hours. Worked a treat.

stumpy01

MSP

They would if they fitted securely in a bottle cage, I am guessing that most won’t.

Ah, I missed that requirement in the OP…..

If that’s how it’s going to be carried, then you aren’t really helping yourself from the off. It’ll feel the full cooling effect of the low temperatures, coupled with a nice helping of forced cooling from the breeze/wind passing over it.
    Much better to stash it in a pack/saddle bag/bar bag or something similar I would have thought if out for an extended period.

jam-bo

i’ve got an earthwell roaster that fits in a standard bottle cage perfectly. single handed flip top lid for sipping on the go. looks nice.

shit at keeping coffee warm though.

slowoldman

I recently got one of these. It fits a cage but I’ve only used it on a walk so far not the bike.

scotroutes

Yeah, the issue here is carrying it on the frame and therefore exposed to the cold air. Even a jersey pocket does better. There are any number of frame/bar bags that will hold a cup insulated or, you know, one of those bag things that you wear on your back?

shedbrewed
    Free Member

OP as others have said, the moment you put the flask in a cage in the wind/weather, it is going to lose heat fast. I use a Stanley sip flask which does fit in a cage, but after 2 hours in the weather it’s at drinkable temperature.
    Singlespeed flask

It’s better carried in the saddle bag and enjoyed warmer, with a sarnie.
    Raleigh flask

butcher

i’ve got an earthwell roaster that fits in a standard bottle cage perfectly.

Same. It’s luke warm after a couple hours riding in winter. Thermos flask can stay hot all day tucked away in a bag. Depends what level of convenience you want.

paule
    Free Member

Chillys style bottles seem pretty good to me, and are a decent fit (apparently they’re 2mm bigger in diameter than a standard bike bottle) in a bottle cage. No rattling if you put a thin layer of old inner tube on the outside. Drinks are still good and hot after a couple of hours, and pleasantly warm after a full day.

fazzini

Contigo. From Tesco and dirt cheap when purchased.

kuman
    Free Member

Kleen Kanteen Flask in Restrap Stem Bag – fits perfectly.

Kleen Kanteen 355ml

thenorthwind

@shedbrewed Might I ask what that lovely bicycle is? Custom frame?

dyna-ti

Riders from yesteryear carried a primus paraffin stove with them on their jaunts, and would tuck down behind a dry stone wall to brew up.

jam-bo

Yeah, the issue here is carrying it on the frame and therefore exposed to the cold air.

no, it’s shit in a bag too.

IHN

On the very very* rare occasions when I’m going on a long winter ride with no refreshments I take my 35 year old Vango stainless steel flask full of hot drink. Not sure what the issue is.

Same here. Mine’s not even branded, it came in a set of two, a big’un and a little’un, from the petrol station about 20 years ago for, I think, a tenner.

john_l
    Free Member

Wizard Works Voila stem bag is a bit wider than the Restrap one. Fits a flask nicely.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

I use a SIGG flask ( think I picked it up for a £5 in Cotswolds a few years back)
    Thrown in the camelback or taken on Hikes, its always kept drinks hot
    https://sigg.com/uk/thermo-flask-hot-cold-white-0-3l/?gclid=CjwKCAiA68ebBhB-EiwALVC-NrZyhnjOkNdW-VvjwrLwyX3OPJhVuH1fGqj0I_Re4ElPcfL2qvCdqRoCs24QAvD_BwE

nedrapier

This has worked for me. Bought it for the bike, checked it in the cage for snugness (snug in a SS King Cage) but only used it walking. Don’t know what people’s expectations are from keeping coffee hot, but it’s plenty hot enough after long enough for me.

I make my coffee with a drip filter with water taken off before boiling, so it’s not scalding when it goes in. On the other hand, I prewarm the flask and don’t add milk.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

@thenorthwind I’m presuming you mean the pinklespeed, not the magnificent Raleigh of heft?
    Shopping

The pink one was a custom rough stuff frame and fork built by Richard Evans of RG Evans, Colchester. There is more of a thread on here somewhere but I’ll be damned if I can find it. I’m on a 60” gear as it gets used for lumpy stuff here in wales.
    Nano adventures

Pinklespeed

The rear bag is a Chough Stuff 9l
    Chough stuff bag

thenorthwind

That’s the one. Very nice!

shedbrewed
    Free Member

@thenorthwind Thanks. Richard is making a new fork for me to accommodate wider tyres; originally I specified 50mm clearance and the rear is fine but the fork would be tight. There was some grumbles here about my white tape and saddle but they are aging nicely now to beige. Have another bonus Raleigh pic too.
    Bush bivvy

BadlyWiredDog

GSI Microlite flasks are good ime, in that they keep drinks warm but are also decently lightweight, unlike a lot of the stuff out there. I mostly use it for walking/mountaineering though. If it’s cold enough for a hot drink on a bike ride, I’m generally not stopping.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

If anyone is after a new flask Sportspersuit have a sale on
    https://www.sportpursuit.com/sales/sigg-nov22?sp_nav=4_ExclusiveSales_AllSales_Sigg

stevious

I have a Yeti rambler that keeps my coffee warm whilst in a bottle cage. So far been ok for a couple of hours – I haven’t had the chance to try it for longer or in really cold temps though. I do like the fact that I can operate it one handed* and drink while I’m on the bike if I want to. Stopping for a coffee is great, but so is finding the right stretch of road to get into bimble mode and cruise along with a drink.

*this will almost certainy change when the thicker gloves come into play, mind.

Squirrel

+1 for the LifeVenture thermal mug. Fits very securely in a standard cage. As said, keeps hot for a good few hours if pre-heated. Lots of cool colours, replacement parts available at a very reasonable price. And they’re on offer on LifeVenture’s site with free postage atm.
    (Can’t do links any more 😐)

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.