Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Cold war bunker in Cornwall for sale, hell yeah.šŸ‘
  • Poopscoop

Guide price of Ā£25k.

As well as the Beeb link, check out the actual for sale ad, particularly the diagram of the chamber itself!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-55759872

https://www.primelocation.com/for-sale/commercial/details/57416358

orena45

Itā€™s an ā€˜islandā€™ tho as thereā€™s no right of access/easement across adjoining land apparently.

Youā€™d basically have to parachute in each time!

Cougar

I like the concept of it, if it were a doer-upper underground house instead of a one-room hole in the ground. Itā€™s a lot of money to have to poo in a bucket.

Poopscoop

orena45

Hell yeah, even cooler!

Cougar
    I like the concept of it, if it were a doer-upper underground house instead of a one-room hole in the ground. Itā€™s a lot of money to have to poo in a bucket.

Itā€™s probably built into granite, so given the right tools you could extend it. Knowā€™s going to know?šŸ˜

Klunk
    Free Member

there was one just like that in the village where I grew up, it was really pokey and not very well hidden being right beside a public footpath.

dyna-ti

Probably still on Warsaw pact targeting computers. I doubt theyā€™ve updated the info, so if it all does kick off, you could be getting a surprise visitor šŸ˜Æ

thols2

access to this land is via right of way along a rustic vehicular track.

squirrelking
    Free Member

My old team leader runs one in far better nick. Those old ROC outposts are shit tbh, very badly built and prone to dampness, flooding or in one rather unfortunate case the land around it subsiding leaving an exposed load of brick walls. Some may be good for a bikepacking adventure but not anywhere near a town, those ones tend to be properly done in.

Hundreds around the country:

https://www.subbrit.org.uk/categories/nuclear-monitoring-posts/

Poopscoop

^^Great link that!

Turns out there are a few near me.

This one in Hoo (Kent) was in such good condition they removed all the interior fittings to go into a museum.

nickjb
    Free Member

Iā€™ve visited a few of the local ones. Quite interesting slice of history. It would be a cool thing to have in your garden, Iā€™m not sure what you would do with one miles away. Its a great location but only 0.15 acres and you never get permission to build anything more. A regional seal of government would better. The one in Devon is good, great location, sometimes get used as an art gallery.

Wally

Radon gas?

squirrelking
    Free Member

Just looking at more of sub-brit, itā€™s been quite a while since I visited but itā€™s missing so much! None of the Glasgow rail tunnels, Z berths or such are on there.

dirtyboy

Iā€™ve been in a few of these, one nr Hereford and one in Aberporth

brant
    Free Member

One on Pole Hill up by Bridestones above Tod.

orena45

access to this land is via right of way along a rustic vehicular track.

There is a right of way adjacent, but according to the local knowledgable FB ā€˜explorersā€™ group, the selling info isnā€™t quite correct and the bunker owner doesnā€™t own the land between it and the RoW, with no easement for access.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Its at least Ā£10k too much even with a right of access.

FFJA
    Free Member

Thereā€™s one of those behind my parents house in Grinton in Swaledale, used to have quite a bit of stuff inside it. Very damp and smelly tho! Itā€™s sunk into whats thought to be some sort if prehistoric burial mound so who knows what was tipped away as they dug the hole!
    Handy for the local fire crew to do confined space training, but I wouldnā€™t fancy living in one!

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

This one in York has a bungalow built on top of it, now with an access hatch into it!

https://www.subbrit.org.uk/sites/fulford-2nd-site-roc-post/

zilog6128

Thereā€™s one near me on Woodland Trust land which I cycle past on one of my regular loops. Often sit & have lunch on it as itā€™s on top of a hill and has a nice view. A chap I know who runs the local history group has the keys for it! They open it up once a year normally for Heritage Day.

there is actually a very small toilet room too, but yeah itā€™s still a bucket šŸ¤£

zilog6128

Hundreds around the country:

over 1000 in England/Wales and over 400 in Scotland according to that link! Very interesting. I was aware of a couple locally but there are loads near me!

fingerbang
    Free Member

You go right past the Bolton by bowland one on the way to gisburn forest

Need to use a T bar key to get in though

If it was back when hanging round with mates smoking weed then these would be great for a Dutch oven (the good kind)

charliedontsurf

There is one near the square and compass in Dorset. the chap paid Ā£3k about 15 years ago, He occasionally has bunker parties on the patch of land. They are cold eerie spaces. At Ā£25kā€¦. I think I would rather have a camper van.

downshep

Loving the optimism of having one in Garelochhead, midway between Faslane and Coulport. Doubt theyā€™d be warning anyone of anything from that one!

jam-bo

Could probably rent it out on AirBnB for Ā£1000+ A week in summer.

jim25

orena45

Hell yeah, even cooler!

But how would you get out?!

paton
    Free Member

tillydog
    Free Member

Doubt theyā€™d be warning anyone of anything from that one!

As I understood it, the purpose of these wasnā€™t so much about warning of an impending attack as to provide data on the extent of any nuclear attack after the event ā€“ i.e. feeding back local radiation levels, etc. to The Powers That Be.

Edit: As in the video above!

jam-bo
    IHN

Hah, I KNEW it!

https://www.subbrit.org.uk/sites/poynton-roc-post/

When I was a kid, living in Poynton, I said that was a nuclear bunker and all my family laughed at me. Well, screw you sisters!

toby

I heard that one I looked at next to Folkestone is back up for sale too. Iā€™ll admit that I semi-seriously considered it once. Itā€™s a bigger space than a van that many manage to live in, never very hot or very cold. Cost of getting utilities to it and the practicality of getting it up to the standard youā€™d be able to apply for change of use permission put me right off, though. (Edit to add: also the idea of local scrotes piling heavy crap on the hatch while I was inside put me right offā€¦)

Apparently very popular with mobile phone companies as theyā€™re often small, reasonably priced plots of land in positions with excellent positioning on high ground for a mast.

Harry_the_Spider

Looking at the map thereā€™s one in Heaton Park just up the road from me. Hidden under the absolutely gigantic communications tower.

mattbee

Used to be a centre in Fort Southwick on Portsdown Hill just North or Portsmouth where ROC posts would report back to.
    There was a huge glass panel with an outline map of the South of the country on it with the posts marked on it, in a big room with lecture theatre type seating. Presumably this would be used to indicate which posts had reported back and allow them to work out the damage, so to speak.
    This centre was originally located in a WW2 era bunker 120ft underneath the fort (Codename Nim, used as a communications hub by the Navy controlling the Atlantic convoys and D Day shipping movements) but moved up into the fort as the bunker started to get too damp.
    Unfortunately as part of ā€˜renevationā€™ works a few years ago the owners of the fort allowed the room to become heavily water damaged and the ceiling collapsed, taking out the map and other fittings. Absolutely no connection to the fact that they were in the way of potential development into apartmentsā€¦

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ā€˜Cold war bunker in Cornwall for sale, hell yeah.šŸ‘ā€™ is closed to new replies.