Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Cold Feet on a bike …
  • mrmoofo

I have done a few activity sports and never suffered from cold feet … this includes snowboarding and skiing a lot when I lived in CH.
    I have windsurfed for many years … and if anything my feet get too hot ….

We used to go for MTB holidays in the Lake District in november … and I wore some Nike SPDs or walking boots …

But now my feet are getting freezing …. I have an old pair Spec SPD boots … which like many are perforated / mesh tongue. And even when they are dry, my feet get cold …
    Are there any better solutions out there … other than plastic bags ?
    I don’t get on with flats – so clip compatible ….
    Thanks

parkesie
    Free Member

Shimano xm9 or north wave equivalent are toasty warm and water proof decent to walk in aswell.

oldtennisshoes

Size up with thicker or sealskinz socks.

sparkerfix

I use Shimano walking boot type ones with spd. Size up to allow another pair/thicker socks and allow feet to move a little. I use a thin pair and some sealskins.

mrmoofo

I have never really got on with sealskinz …

chakaping
    Free Member

Defeet Woolie Boolie socks and some shoes without mesh.

MadBillMcMad

tight boots will lead to cold feet.

whatever boots you get – Size up & get some good wool walking socks.

I too do not like sealskinz – I think good wool is a much better option.

mrmoofo

Re the mesh … hence the plastic bags suggestion …

chakaping
    Free Member

If you spend a reasonable amount of time riding in winter it’s worth getting a proper pair of winter boots.

If you#re on a tight budget try the plastic bags and report back.

mrmoofo

I might be able to afford some new shoes …. the last 5/10s I bought were 5 years ago
    The current specialized are at least 12 years old
    And the road/ fine weather ones are definitely @ 2007 ….
    Shimano shoes , I remember , as always being at least one size up … is that still the case ?

hodgynd
    Free Member

Take the insoles out ..cut shape out of kitchen foil ..place underneath insole shiny side up ..this will ” reflect” the heat lost from the bottom of your shoe back ..seems to work .

theotherjonv

Of course winter boots, but failing that:

not plastic bags but tin foil wraps over the toes, to reflect heat back.

Roadie overshoes to stop wet getting in too easily.

And most importantly, your feet can’t generate heat, only keep what they have so make sure the blood going in is warm. Ankles make great heat exchangers, so in real cold weather I layer up with a pair of ski socks with the feet cut off under my roubaix tights to insulate my ankles further. I see people in winter boots and 3/4’s and wonder why their boots ‘don’t work’

mrmoofo

Thanks all ….
    Having never suffered from cold feet, it is surprisingly debilitating

swanny853

Agree with the point about cold legs/ankles. If you’re really struggling overtrousers do a wonderful job of keeping the constant fine spray of cold water the wheels tend to pick up at this time of year away. Amazing how much having a bit of an air pocket around your legs keeps your feet warm.

fooman

Cold hands / feet can also be a symptom of your core too getting cold, which will restrict blood flow to your extremities.

moonsaballoon

Plus one for defeet woolie boolie socks , got some for Xmas and am very impressed
    , couple of hours in the snow yesterday with just the socks and five tens and feet stayed pretty warm . 12 quid on wiggle at the moment

slackalice
    Free Member

Also, something I’ve discovered works for me this year is…. layering thinner socks.

As someone of the more athletic, slim, sinuous build, I’ve worn multiple layers for years, yet always suffering with cold feet. Thick socks and MTFU has been my modus operandi, along with winter boots for on and off bike, but still my feet get so painfully cold.

This year, in the absence of any thick socks worth wearing, I popped on two pairs of thin summer socks. It’s a bloody revelation! I work outside too, in work boots and my new layering sock approach has transformed my feet 😀

HTH

anagallis_arvensis

Cheap neoprene overshoes

convert

fossy

Winter boots – one of the best things since dropper posts. I tend to us mine most of the year when it’s muddy and wet as my ‘normal’ MTB shoes have mesh in, so wet soggy feet very quickly.

If you don’t want the outlay, MTB overshoes (just that bit tougher than road ones) but don’t expect to be walking far !

5thElefant
    Free Member

Cheap neoprene overshoes

This.

molgrips
    Free Member

Are there any better solutions out there

Back in the day there wasn’t, but then someone (Shimano) realised we needed different shoes for winter, and the winter shoe industry was born. Loads available – personally I like the look of the Specialized ones with the sealed ankle cuff.

Much better solution than overshoes and expensive socks imo.

mrmoofo

TBH, I have been out in shorts then with thermal leggings …. so overtrousers etc may be the real answer. I am not convinced that my core is getting cold, as I am sweating like a pig going up all … obviously coming down hill the wind chill hits ….
    And my legs are not as warm as they are used to getting ….
    Love the idea of the last boots – but I feel for my hack up the S Downs and back they may be overkill!

Fat-boy-fat

I’ve got a pair of Shimano xm9 boots (after many years of mt91 use). They’re ok ish with a thick pair of smartwool socks but I find I still get cold toes.

As a result, I recently bought a pair of happyhotfeet electric heated insoles from sport pursuit.

They seem to be doing the job. I was out in -7C temperatures at Glentress the other day and my toes were ok for the ride. A wee bit chilled at one point but ok on the whole. This is compared to a similar ride a month ago without the insoles where my toes were icy.

jam-bo

personally I like the look of the Specialized ones with the sealed ankle cuff.

If you mean the defrosters, It’s not sealed. At all. If the water is higher than the cuff or runs down your leg it ends up in the boot.

richmars

Another overshoe wearer here. Not just for when it’s wet.

elliott-20
    Free Member

2 pairs of thinner merino socks (Aldi), sandwich bag between the layers with some added tin foil. The only thing that actually takes the edge off the cold for me.

Wooly Bollies don’t even begin to warm my toes up.

anagallis_arvensis

Seriously just buy these and dont waste you cash on winter boots.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLPXOSH/planet-x-neoprene-overshoes

bruneep

Yeah I wasted my cash 🙄 on the OMW boots I linked to above, without a doubt they are the best winter boots I’ve ever had, no more cold or wet feet!

ransos
    Free Member

Northwave boots, hiking socks, leg warmers. Kept my toes toasty the other day for three hours of sub zero riding in the snow. As above, size up so you have room for thicker socks.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve worn both overshoes and boots. Boots are better.

anagallis_arvensis

I’ve worn both overshoes and boots. Boots are better.

No doubt but one will cost £150+ and the other £15

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

shinton
    Free Member

The Madison Merino Deep Winter socks have worked for me. One of the guys at Twelve 50 bikes in Frodsham suffers from cold feet and swears by them. Only cost £8.99

molgrips
    Free Member

No doubt but one will cost £150+ and the other £15

Indeed but if boots are better it’s not a waste, is it? If you have the money.

chakaping
    Free Member

You can certainly spend £150 on a pair of winter boots if you want, but let’s not pretend you have to pay that much.

The Madison Merino Deep Winter socks have worked for me. One of the guys at Twelve 50 bikes in Frodsham suffers from cold feet and swears by them. Only cost £8.99

noted, thanks.

molgrips
    Free Member

Didn’t think I was pretending that. I just said they were much better, which IMO they are. Much more expensive of course, but take your pick.

Prior to that, no amount of warm socks and plastic bags would stop cold numb toes for me – and I’m a very warm blooded person generally. At the time, I hadn’t tried overshoes. I now have overshoes that I use when commuting in the wet when it’s too warm for boots and I don’t want my shoes wet. Overshoes are very warm but a faff to use, bulky and something’s always annoying me; and I’d expect them to get knackered up whilst walking on rough ground. But they are warm.

chakaping
    Free Member

I didn’t say you were molgrips, I was responding to the comment you quoted.

anagallis_arvensis

Not sure you’ll get winter boots for much less than £150 but tbh it was just 10 times more than the £15 overshoes.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Cold Feet on a bike …’ is closed to new replies.