Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Cold Feet Help
  • crazyjenkins01

Ok this is bugging me now.

Had a ride with a work mate this morning, only a little rain luckily and actually pretty warm but massive puddles everywhere. Sealskinz didnt keep it out for long (I should have worn the knee lengths!) although I don’t mind wet feet.

However, I struggle with cold feet at the best of times. With a lake in my shoes AND my socks my feet are ice within minutes.

Was thinking of trying over shoes to try and keep the water out, meaning warmer feet (maybe!). But £50 for the only flat pedal ones I’ve found, Endura MT500, seems like a big wedge for something that might not work, get shredded by the pins eventually. EDIT: Apparently dont go above a size 9 either!

So STW hive mind, any other suggestions for keeping feet feeling a bit less like blocks of ice in the wet weather?

Cheers

shedbrewed
    Free Member

I put my shoes on the radiator before I go out. I ride clipless so a big Spatz neoprene oversock helps with the warmth. Nice boot socks help too, but not longer than the oversocks or they’ll wick the water into your shoe.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Neoprene socks work wonders with my PX Das Boot MTB boots.

zerocool

Size up you shoes so there’s more space for the thicker layers. That way your feet will be less squashed and it won’t impede the circulation.

Also make sure your core and legs are warm and insulated.

And that you’re fueled enough

oceanskipper

I tried all sorts to try and keep my feet warm in the recent cold snap. Ended up just shelling out for some Lake winter boots – really pleased with them. Been out in -5 wind chill and my feet didn’t even notice. Hands however need another solution. I’ve got Sealskinz gloves but at -5 they only work for 60 mins or so.

scaredypants

you need some gaiters to keep the water out of the tops of your socks – the cut-off wrists of marigold gloves work fine

… and maybe some bigger shoes to fit a second pr of socks under your waterproofs

cloggy

German paratroop boots and Giant flat pedals. Total cost under £70. Toasty

crazyjenkins01

Thanks for the input all. Normally the sealskinz are great, just not today! Main issue is the water in the shoe just sucking the heat from my feet, hence thinking of over shoes. This happens even when the sealskinz do their job

cloggy

I used to do two day mountainbike endurance events. Sealskins were great at keeping the water in. The top teams used thick socks and thin plastic bags

Fat-boy-fat

I suffer similarly. I used to use neoprene overshoes and they did help massively but I got annoyed with them flopping all over the place if I had to get off and walk off road. I tried many different types (including Endura MT500) but never found a pair that properly worked off road. Went for Shimano trail boots with electric heated insoles and, while OK, didn’t really cut the mustard.

Finally bit the bullet and bought some Bontrager old man winter boots with a thick neoprene inner sock and a properly waterproof outer. Better than the Shimano hiking boot but still needs a bit more warmth at properly -10°C.

Solved by the weather getting better and back to non silly temperatires!

BearBack
    Free Member

Are you wearing shorts and kneewarmers or trousers?

Your claves are a massive heatsink and if these are cold the there’s no saving feet that start down the frigid path.

I can manage wet feet with trousers and warm feet, but if I’m in shorts/kneewarmers and even if its dry but cold, my feet suffer way worse.

paton
    Free Member

Causes of cold feet can be Diabetes, Anemia, Stress anxiety etc

https://www.anxietycentre.com/anxiety-symptoms/cold-hands-and-feet.shtml

but

crazyjenkins01

@bearback, yesterday was shorts and knee pads. Does it when I wear trousers too, just not as badly. might have to keep to trousers for a while to help then.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Cold Feet Help’ is closed to new replies.