Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Cold Brewed Coffee
  • singlespeedstu

Anyone make cold brewed coffee at home?

What method do you use?

chvck
    Free Member

I use a Hario pot (https://www.hario.co.uk/cold-brew-coffee-pot-medium), just a jug with a filter really.

I use a lot more coffee than I expected I’d need to (I read a few things saying to use 60g, I use around 30 probably). I just stick it in with water and put in the fridge for at least 12 hours.

I find that the quality of the coffee is somewhat amplified by cold brew, at least not great coffee is pretty bad as cold brew.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

I just use a big cafetière. Leave it in the fridge overnight, press it in the morning and job done

davidr

I use a 5:1 water/coffee ratio and put it all in a big French press jug for about 18 hours or so in the fridge (covered with cling film). Plunge is it in the morning then filter through a V60 filter paper to remove any residue.

spooky_b329

Educate me,  do you drink this cold or reheat?

toby1

Best drunk cold in my experience, reheating would change the nature of it. Part of the science of cold brew is that no heat changes the acids in the coffee, giving different flavours.

I may sound like a coffee tool talking like this, but it’s just simple science applied to some beans and water really 🙂

Best part of cold brew is that no fancy equipment is needed, filters water, optional ice and beans are the most important elements, I’ve even used kitchen towel as a filter before!

singlespeedstu

Like the look of that pot.

Save making a mess trying to strain it.

singlespeedstu

OK first go with this and it’s not great.

Put 80g course ground in the Hario pot and filled with water as per instructions.

Left in fridge for 12 hours and it tastes very watery.

Any ideas what I’m doing wrong?

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

More coffee?  I just use a French Press, and the first couple of attempts I had were watery too, so ended up putting what seemed an unreasonable amount in to get it up to scratch.  Can’t live without the stuff now…

rossburton
    Free Member

I can endorse that pot, fill it up in the evening and the next morning you have a pot of chilled coffee.  Obviously that was a far more tempting proposition a few months ago.

Quality of coffee really makes a difference, and so does the grind.  If you’re lucky you’ve a local coffee bean place that can grind appropriately and recommend beans that work well.

cinnamon_girl

Using cold spring water?

bigyinn
    Free Member

That all sounds utterly pretentious.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I find that the quality of the coffee is somewhat amplified by cold brew, at least not great coffee is pretty bad as cold brew.

So awesome coffee wil be utterly life-changing?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Still refusing to put the heating on in the studio.  This means that my Azera tends to go really cold before even half-finished.  Does that count if I refuse to microwave it three times during the slow course of depletion??  I prefer  to not rush a good thing.

globalti
    Free Member

I thought cold stale coffee was meant to be massively bad for cholesterol levels?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Its great for hipster points though.

singlespeedstu

It’s also good for people that like cafine but don’t like hot drinks…

Asking these questions for mrsstu

She’s about as far removed from a hipster as its possible to be.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Using cold spring water?

bottled water will make a difference to the taste especially if your tap water is below par (most of the U.K.)

tesco’s ashbeck spring is ideal for coffee making as it has the right amount of dissolved solids (120ppm) and acidity and at £110 for 5 litres so cheap. its not what the name ‘spring’ suggests though, its tap water put through an industrial reverse osmosis machine which strips everything out and then puts the desired minerals back in. basically what coffee shops do for their coffee machines on a smaller scale.

is that a snobby/poncey/****/geeky enough answer for you?

i like cold brew in the summer especially with good quality fruity African beans, the pre made stuff is a bit hit and miss imho though i like the Sandows and the fresh daily made stuff in good cafe’s. the cans of nitro cold brew are not to my liking though.

Jakester
    Free Member

and at £110 for 5 litres so cheap

Peak STW! 🙂

(I know it’s a typo…)

ransos
    Free Member

I smoke mine on the woodburner before putting it into the cupholder in my Audi.

convert

Going to have to try this now. The thought does make me flinch though – nothing worse that a full mouthful of cold coffee that you expected to be hot and lost track of time.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Might give it a bash with Nescafe red label instant.

chvck
    Free Member

Any ideas what I’m doing wrong?

Leave it longer and/or more coffee. I usually drink it part diluted with water.

toby1

Might give it a bash with Nescafe red label instant

Now you are just showing off!

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

Cold brewed coffee tastes awful, waste of good coffee which could be drunk as espresso. Yuck

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Cold Brewed Coffee’ is closed to new replies.