Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Coin collections…. Where to off load?
  • alpin

My sister and I have inherited a massive coin collection. A mish mash of commemorative coins from various commonwealth countries (in great nick), some gold ones, lots of stuff prior to decimalisaton plus other random stuff.

I’m lost.

I don’t need nor have the space for them all.

Will take out a few that I like the look of. The rest we will seek. But where to start?

Premier Icon richmars
    Subscriber

I’ll swap you for my late FIL’s stamp collection, currently taking up what used to be the spare bedroom. At least you can melt coins down.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Try a local auctioneer. Don’t expect to get rich.

alpin

Proof sets from just about every year since the 70s from just about every Commonwealth country. Shed loads of New Zealand sets, which is odd as my uncle never went there.

Loads of commemorative coins from various places I’ve never heard of.

Gold Kruger Rands by the dozen…quite a few British gold sovereigns.

Commemorative sets from Charles & Diana, Fergi & Pervy, 2012 Olympics, du about every Commonwealth Games that have taken place.

When he told he that he was gifting it to my sister and I, I thought it was going to be a load of old roman or European coins.

Now I know who why those ads are in the back of the weekend supplements in newspapers…. And I never knew who bought stuff like that until now…..

alanl

I’ll swap you for my late FIL’s stamp collection, currently taking up what used to be the spare bedroom. At least you can melt coins down

I’ve been given a few ‘stamp books’.
    They are worth nothing. Even old penny blacks and reds are not worth selling.
    It is only very rare ones that are worth anythung.
    The bubble in stamps burst around 1980.

neilnevill

The gold sovereigns and Rands are worth their weight, a sovereign is about £200 i think.

alpin

Any offers?…..
    25£ Falklands Fergi and Prince Peado

alpin

Any Arsenal fans…?

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

If you turn this into a classified post they’ll only be one outcome.

Premier Icon rogermoore
    Subscriber

If you get the dremel out and make Fergie look like Epstein it’ll give you £20 for it. Will probably use it next time I’m in Woking Pizza Express.
    RM.

Premier Icon Rich_s
    Subscriber

I’m currently working through my dad’s coin and stamp collection. I’ve ploughed through several pages of stamp albums and found that they are individually worth less than the square root of cock all. 1p each plus postage mostly!

Also got tons of 1st day covers to get through, but I’m hopeful some might reach the dizzying heights of a fiver each.

Sold some £5 coin ornaments before Xmas for £6… hate to think what he paid for them.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

1p each plus postage mostly!

Ironic.

Premier Icon martinhutch
    Subscriber

You might get lucky and have a few 50s in there.🙂

Premier Icon StirlingCrispin
    Subscriber

I feel your pain.

My dad left a mass of mint stamps in display envelopes. They are worth the face value,  and nothing more, so my sister now uses them. Always fun to get a card from her.

Coins – you could try a coin shop or equivalent but we just gave my dad’s coins to my son. He’s now got a very impressive collection for an 11-yr old and often gets them out to show his friends.

I’ll give you postage for yours plus a tenner for charity.

As an aside: there’s a really cool coin shop opposite the British Museum. H insisted we went in and he asked about Zimbabwean trillion dollar notes and Korean notes – which he then bought with his pocket money. The young lad behind the counter then have him a quick history, with examples,  of coinage. Was a brilliant hour.

Premier Icon dove1
    Subscriber

The sovereigns and Krugerrands can be sold as bullion but the KR’s will attract capital gains tax.

The majority of commemorative coins are not worth much. Face value if you are lucky.

Premier Icon Dickyboy
    Subscriber

Check the mint on the sovereigns, some 19th century ones are worth way more than others.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.