Coils on Tracer's…..

Home Forum Bike Forum Coils on Tracer's…..

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Coils on Tracer's…..
  • Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

Hi – just wondered if there are any Tracer VP owners that can comment; I’ve recently added a Pushed Van R to my Tracer an am experiencing (in this dry weather) near hardtail chatter/rattle/bumps over small gravel/stones/pebbles type single track.

The shock is great elsewhere giving me 90% travel through general singletrack indicating its setup correctly.

It could be the spring preload – or is this common with VPP / Coil combination?

Ta

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

Bump.

C’mon, I want to know how to make my initial Travel less harsh – would sticking the same shock in 6″ mode help?

Swalsey

This is purely a guess: adjust the pre-load perhaps? Coils generally have better small bump sensitivity.

If it is chattery on high speed hits, perhaps you need more rebound damping winding on.

You could also call Mojo – very helpful chaps there 🙂

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

Swalsey – I’m assuming you mean “less” preload – issue with that is I’m only about .5 turn from contact with the spring.

Rebound is already quite slow giving a really comfortable, controlling feel on anything else (I’d probably have to bunny hop to get the wheel disconnect from the ground its that good).

Thats why I wondered whether its was a symptom of the VPP – but I dont remeber feeling is on my previous 5.5 with air…..

AndyA

Maybe try quickening the rebound? Could be that with the trails being so dry you’re riding faster. Plus the ground is harder, making bumpy ground feel harsher.

Lighter spring?

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

I’m 12st and the spring is 450 – bang on according to TfT’s and Fox’s calculators….

As mentioned I get 90% travel on singletrack so a lighter spring wont do me any favours.

Again – is really a question of is this Tracer/vpp -esque

Dino

Too much crompression tune??
    Try it in 6 inch mode as the rear wheel will have a bit more leverage over the shock ( worth a shot as it’s quick and free) also the tracer has a higher leverage ratio than the blur lt if memory serves me correctly with a slight rise at the beginning of travel and falls away through the travel,
    if ure only running 1/2 turn pre load it’s un likely to be spring more likely compression on the shock

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

Dino – I think you’re on to something. I’ve remembered now that whilst discussing the Push with TfT I did ask for “Trail firm”. with the limited adjustment on the Van R I’m guessing they would have upped the compression tune as you say, which is why on bigger bumps/roots it opens up nicely.

Could be good news for racing though, if only it was several lbs lighter….. 🙂

Will give 6″ a go as you say, Cheers.

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

Dino – to explain the “leverage ratio / slight rise” in laymens terms – you mean its harder to get through the intial part of the stroke, then opens up more right?

Dino

Yep spot 😛
    plenty of stuff on Intese forum of MTBR

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Coils on Tracer's…..’ is closed to new replies.