Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Coil shock spring weight – between weights
  • dirkpitt74

So done a basic calc on the J-Tech calculator and I’m smack in the middle of 450-500lbs at 475lbs.

So which spring rate should I go for?

Bike is a 2017 Nukeproof Mega 275 and a Marzocchi Bomber CR Shock.

First foray into coil shocks so not sure which way to go.

Thanks

Onzadog
    Free Member

Did you use your naked weight or kitted up weight? How much sag does the calculator plan for and what does the manufacturer recommended?

Hucker, or trail rider? If it were me, I’d round up and use zero preload rather than down and have to add preload.

teethgrinder

I think Ohlins do springs in 23lb increments. But I’d just go 500lb.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    dirkpitt74

Thanks.

Kitted up weight, sag is 30% according to Marzocchi.

Trail rider mainly with the occasional huck lol

timbog160

I used to be the same and I went up, which I found better. Since lockdown I’m no longer between weights though (ahem!😀)…

dirkpitt74

@timbog160 I think that’s the problem I’ve had too lol

riklegge

I tend to round up. I find the extra sensitivity of coils means I’m less concerned about getting the sag to exactly 30% or whatever.

singlespeedstu

EXT do springs in 25lbs increments.

endomick
    Free Member

2017 mega is pre metric 2.5 stroke so getting perfect spring rate might be tricky, don’t go 450, if you can get 475/480 happy days if not its 500 and ride harder n faster 😀

argee

Do you want something that’s firmer in the top half of the stroke or not, i’d always go for the heavier spring, as i like jumps and stuff with heavy landings, but if it was just trail stuff all the time and wanting a slightly more supple shock, i’d probably go down one, it’s all trade offs to be fair, you can also put a little more preload on the lighter spring.

squirrelking
    Free Member

This is rather serendipitous as I was having the same questions regarding my YT Tues, 235lb for plush or 250 for firm according to TF (so a 225 or 250 spring).

ayjaydoubleyou

Same situation, I went up.

4 rides in at this point so don’t know if I’m right or wrong.

Thoughts:
    1-My bike has a low BB and comparatively low travel, so it rather sit higher (less sag) and have more travel available to use. Also I think I am reducing bottom out potential vs lighter spring + preload.
    2-Despite my current fitness drive, I am unlikely to drop 5 kilos. (Hoping to gain some muscle and lose some fat though). Much more likely to temporarily add 5kg of camelback for an all day lakes/Scotland/alps epic.

kiwijohn

The orange Fox springs come in a 475lb. Not cheap though. I’m looking for one for my Banshee.

kelvin

25lbs here or there makes little difference. How accurate do you think these spring ratings are?

stevede
    Free Member

Sprindex do an adjustable coil which might be worth a look if you’re fluctuating weight and loading up a camelbak on occasions.

LAT

How accurate do you think these spring ratings are?

but if it is out in the same direction that you rounded, it will be even more out!

round up is my preference

the00
    Free Member

30%sounds like a lot of sag. I’d definitely go firmer.

benpinnick

Plenty of springs that will fit. Cane creek and nuke proof are two. The CC will fit straight on while the nuke proof uses spacers (supplied I think) which is no bad thing as it helps prevent rattles.

poah
    Free Member

buy a cheap steel coil and see what you think. Spring calculators can be really bad depending on the bike.

lardman
    Free Member

The great thing about coils, is hat you never have to think about them from ride to ride, you just jump on and pedal.

the bad thing about coils is they can take some trial end error to get right to start with.

I’ve found spring weighting’s to be pretty spurious and vary from brand to brand. I’d go up a few pounds, not down as coil springs are more linear than air equivalents and 30% sag is plenty for a spring.

RickDraper
    Free Member

How accurate do you think these spring ratings are?

From the springs I have tested some are very accurate, some are wildly inaccurate. RS, Ohlins, EXT/SAR and Cane Creek are some of the best.

kelvin

round up is my preference

Agreed.

mattbee

Go for the higher one and stick a few weights in your camelback …

andyrm
    Free Member

My advice as someone who’s been between rates is to go up, and use a spring bearing like the J Tech ones, I found it makes up for any early stroke sensitivity losses from the higher spring rate. Nukeproof SLS springs seem to measure really accurate on dyno too.

Northwind

IME calculators are wrong more ofteh than they’re right. I’ve literally once in my life had a spring calculator or bike manufacturer recommend too stiff a spring for me, and most times it’s been too soft

So just based on that I’d always go up.

squirrelking
    Free Member

30%sounds like a lot of sag.

Not for a DH bike.

dirkpitt74

30% sag is recommended by Marzocchi in the manual:

Will look at the spring bearing too 👍

the00
    Free Member

Yeah, but that shock can be bolted to hundreds of different models of frame. There is nothing different about the shock around that part of the stroke. From the shocks point of view the performance will be the same at 20% stroke and at 40% stroke. More important is what is recommended for the bike. I haven’t looked it up for your Mega… 25% – 30% is common for similar bikes. But you can run whatever you like.

Seeing as the Mega works with air shocks, which will always be more progressive than a coil, I would strongly suggest that it would be unwise to aim for the upper limit of suggested sag.

All of this informs my opinion to round up in spring rate.

Do you already own the bike and know how it rides with a different shock?

endomick
    Free Member

I’ve always ran my megas inbetween 25%-30% sag, coil and air, I find the bb a little too low which is why I run 165mm cranks and oneup alloy flats, I’ve also found 10mm longer fork air shaft improves the ride on older megas for more aggressive or bike park riding.

dirkpitt74

Do you already own the bike and know how it rides with a different shock?

Yes I’ve had the bike for 3 years – ridden with the standard Monarch Plus and an upgraded Debonair version.

the00
    Free Member

What sag do you run with that shock? Do you like it like that? Why are you changing to a coil?

dirkpitt74

@the00

What sag do you run with that shock? Do you like it like that? Why are you changing to a coil?

Usually run around 30 on the air shock, never really bottomed it out either so seem so work ok.

Mainly just because I fancied trying a coil shock and I got this one for a bargain.

the00
    Free Member

Cool. Well I doubt you’ll notice the difference between 30% sag and 28-or-whatever-% sag from a 500lbs/in spring. You will notice the difference between air to coil spring, and because of the progressive nature of your old air shock, the coil will feel ‘softer’.
    I think all advice above has tended on the firmer rather than the softer side

Northwind

What size of spring is it? There’s a fair chance someone’ll have some in their spares mountain

kelvin

30% sag is recommended by Marzocchi in the manual

Ideal shock sag depends on the frame. So that can only be a very rough bit of advice. What does the frame’s designer say? Email them.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Coil shock spring weight – between weights’ is closed to new replies.