Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Coil recon won't get full travel – must be the damper?
  • dannyh
    Free Member

I’ve serviced my coil recons a couple of times, but now they will not go to full travel 130mm. They used to. The coil is a red spring and I am 13 stone, so I should be getting full travel I think. The forks are plush, and the rebound is set fairly slow, so I think I either have too much oil in the motion control damper or the wrong weight oil. But I was very careful to use the correct weight oil!

Anyone got any other theories before I get the 24mm socket out?

legend
    Free Member

Undo the top cap from the spring side then see if you can get full travel. If not then I’d just pour out small amounts from the oil to see if that makes a difference

dannyh
    Free Member

Cheers for the advice. I just pulled the damper out a couple of times, wiped down to remove a small amount of oil and reinstalled. I can now get about four inches of travel just bouncing on the fork in the garden. Should mean I will get full travel if I hit something really hard, so about right, then.

I did notice that the piece that opens and closes the aperture at the bottom of the damper (when the adjuster is turned) waggles a little bit independently of the adjuster. I have made sure it was fully open when it went back in. I have also not bothered to put the adjuster cap back on. I never lock the fork anyway, and don’t want to close the damper via the adjuster then not be able to reopen it fully without having to get the damper out.

I might see if motion control dampers can be bought separately.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Coil recon won't get full travel – must be the damper?’ is closed to new replies.