Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Coil Fork Options
  • johnw1984
    Free Member

So I’ve just ordered a coil shock for my Intense Spider and want to also try a coil on the front.

Not looking to spend loads (although best laid plans and all that!). Had an idea of getting a set of cheap second hand Pikes and fitting the TF coil conversion.

Pre 2018 boost Pikes (27.5) seem a bit thin on the ground and there’s not many second hand coil boost forks knocking about.

Any other ideas or options I should look at? MRP or Cane Creek Helm spring to mind, but I think they might be a bit too expensive.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Bought a new mrp ribbon. Only got 2 rides in it but so far I’ve been very impressed.

johnw1984
    Free Member

I’ve had a look at the Ribbon, but they’re about £850. I think I might be getting a half decent Christmas bonus, but I don’t know if It’ll stretch to that 🙂

I’m not ruling it out to be honest, but even something like a second hand Lyrik set to 150mm and a decent coil conversion on it would be cool. The other issue I’m running into when looking at second hand forks is the steerer length.

I need around 200mm of steerer to make it work.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    BearBack
    Free Member

what fork do you have now?

johnw1984
    Free Member

Fox 34 Performance Grip. It’s a decent enough fork, but at 140-150mm it doesn’t feel that sure footed at my weight.

Looks like there’s isn’t a coil option for the 34, but even then, I’d like something a little stiffer.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Crc have the ribbon for £764.

I wouldn’t describe it as stiff though. There is a little flex, which I don’t mind, but I’m 105 kg in kit. It’s about the same as a pike I reckon.

johnw1984
    Free Member

I noticed that price on Wiggle too (in the right travel and 27.5)… Hope they’ve still got it 3 weeks from now as I’ll be tempted at that price.

I’m about 98kg kitted up (hoping to lose a bit though) and found the 29er Pike I used to have on the Hightower/Pace to be quite a bit stiffer and better tracking that the 34 I currently have.

Also tempted by a second hand Lyrik at 150mm travel then fitting a Vorsprung or a Push coil to it.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

These https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MRP-Ribbon-29er-Fork-FOX-Rockshox-DVO/333385045017?hash=item4d9f4c1419:g:wmgAAOSwwRRdvq68 or similar plus a coil conversion (£14o) and coil (£35ish) would be cheaper than Wiggle by nearly £200. Travel change is easy!

andyrm
    Free Member

I’m a year in on a Ribbon Coil. Can’t recommend it enough, having come off a 36RC2.

I’m 77kg and it’s stiff enough for me, but big thing is the ridiculously supple travel and way better midstroke.

johnw1984
    Free Member

That link is for a 29er (I’m on 27.5) 🙁 Would have been an idea though.

The MRP is a top contender, but it’s kinda stretching the budget!

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Andyrm, what spring are you running? What about settings and ride style?

Sorry about the wrong wheel size..

BearBack
    Free Member

Why not just go air 36?
    Plenty of bikes running air front and coil rear. Even the 40 is air sprung.

Kamakazie

Do you need boost?
    If not, a 2nd hand Marz 350 is hard to beat. I went from a 350 Ti to a Ribbon Coil and I don’t think the Marz was lacking at all. I think it was probably a bit stiffer but not as adjustable.

If boost then there’s nothing better for the money than the Ribbon.

orangespyderman

I have a Helm Coil on my Jeffsy and it’s a very very nice fork indeed. Set to 150mm travel.

johnw1984
    Free Member

I’d have a 36 air, but I really just want to try a coil out to see if I like it. I could get something like that and have a coil conversion done further down the line?

It does need to be boost as my wheel is boost. I can’t be arsed farting around with adapters 🙂

Helm is on the list if I can find one cheap enough too.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

I had a 36 air which I’ve converted to coil as it was very stictiony which got worse when it got cold (I’m about 11st)   PUSH coil conversion made all the difference.

johnw1984
    Free Member

That’s good to hear. I’ll keep an eye out for some 150mm Fox 36 too. If I start adding the expense of reducing the travel on longer forks, it doesn’t work out as good value.

andyrm
    Free Member

I had a 36 air which I’ve converted to coil as it was very stictiony which got worse when it got cold (I’m about 11st)

That’s exactly what I found with mine too – and it needed lots of tlc to keep it running nicely.

Andyrm, what spring are you running? What about settings and ride style?

I’m running a M spring in a 160mm 29er on a mulleted Stumpy Evo S3. 2-3 clicks of compression, ramp control fully open.

I’d describe my ride style as pretty aggressive, point & shoot, plow rather than pop.

johnw1984
    Free Member

After another search, it looks like there’s plenty of second hand Yari knocking around. Could buy a cheap one and send it off for a Smashpot or Push ACS coil and even upgrade the damper at a later date?

Anyone had experience with this (especially the FAST Yari’Up damper)?

seb84

Has anyone run a coil fork with an air shock? Any issues?

Gotama
    Free Member

After another search, it looks like there’s plenty of second hand Yari knocking around. Could buy a cheap one and send it off for a Smashpot or Push ACS coil and even upgrade the damper at a later date?

This is what I’m tempted to do. Had a brief ride on a vorsprung coil and it seemed incredibly supple off the top. They do potentially need some faffing to get them to that set and forget position so maybe worth getting someone like TF to fit. There’s a review from aj barlas on nsmb where he describes playing around with the shim stack and compression although I dare say he’s probably more particular than most.

Interested to hear comparisons between push and vorsprung.

johnw1984
    Free Member

I’m liking the idea of a second hand Yari or Rev now. Yeah, I’d like TF to fit it and sort it out before I get my mitts on it too 🙂

mashr

ohnw1984

Subscriber

Anyone had experience with this (especially the FAST Yari’Up damper)?

Factor in a new damper from the start if you’re doing that. It can’t keep up with the air spring let alone a coil

johnw1984
    Free Member

I used to have a Yari and found it pretty decent, then again it was a couple of years ago and I’m a bit faster and riding rougher stuff at speed.

Maybe I should do the damper first then coil after? When I posted it, I was waiting for someone to mention it 🙂

Kamakazie

Has anyone run a coil fork with an air shock? Any issues?

On my current and previous bike.
    What issues would there be?

Some frames don’t work well with coil shocks but that doesn’t mean you can’t benefit from the fork.

johnw1984
    Free Member

I was advised against a coil when I was contemplating it for my Hightower, that’s why I went for the DB IL Air instead. The plan was to convert the Pike to coil before I sold the frame.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Coil Fork Options’ is closed to new replies.