Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Coffeetrackworld, my coffee has improved a lot with a small outlay.
  • righog
    Free Member

Just bought on of these for £14 ( they are a lot cheaper on E bay). I am sure all you coffee people know all about them already, but this has improved my mornings quite a lot 😀

never had space for bigger machine and I think it looks pretty cool as well.

peterfile
    Free Member

damitamit
    Free Member

What is the 2nd thing peterfile!

righog
    Free Member

Think I will get a small one for camping 😀

Ebay coffee pot

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Picked one up from John Lewis Yesterday. Started my morning much better than usual.

binners

They’re bloody great little things, aren’t they?

peterfile
    Free Member

damitamit, it’s a little ceramic burr grinder which fits perfectly inside the centre of the aeropress 🙂 Only £30 too.

Porlex grinder

IHN

Works for me’n’her:

stavromuller
    Free Member

Mrs S bought a new kettle yesterday and it makes instant coffe taste like liquorice, weird. She’s just gone to change it for another model.

khani
    Free Member

Mrs S bought a new kettle yesterday and it makes instant coffe taste like liquorice

Shirley that’s better than tasting like instant coffee..

Aidy
    Free Member

peterfile – oooh, want one of those, now!

MrSmith
    Free Member

One of these is on the wish list, it shall be mine before the end of the year

dukeduvet

those stove top coffee makers are great.

Except I put mine on the other morning in my ususal half awake state and forgot the water…

righog
    Free Member

IHN.. I was going in to buy a cafetiere ( smashed the previous one) and but saw the stove top thing and bought that instead, the coffee is approximately 8.9 x better from the stove top device.

A Q’ for coffee people….Is the coffee from a full on espresso machine any better than the stove top thingy ? ( a proper name for this would be good as well 🙂 )

righog
    Free Member

Except I put mine on the other morning in my ususal half awake state and forgot the water…

Did you die… I was wondering what would happen, more likely event for me would be forgetting and leaving it on the stove after the weter had boiled to the top section.

hjghg5
    Free Member

I’ve done that, it melted the seal…

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Yup. Did exactly that yesterday morning. If I’d had a cup of coffee beforehand, I would have remembered in the first place.

Did you die…

Yes. But I got better.

st

Yep, seal melts and the inside of the pot becomes charred which in my case tainted coffee made after I swapped the seal.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

A Q’ for coffee people….Is the coffee from a full on espresso machine any better than the stove top thingy ? ( a proper name for this would be good as well )

Moka pot?

And yes it is. With two caveat’s. Expensive coffee is better than cheep coffee, and machines seem to exagerate this (lavarza red now tastes a bit pants). The less hastle factor is more than the better taste, and spending £1 more on the coffee beans makesmore of a difference, as does grinding your own rather than buying them ground.

If you get good coffee, ground properly for stove top, they’re only about 3 bar, esspresso machines are arroudn 10 bar so need a slighly less fine grind, but not as coarse as filter or percolator.

And don’t leave it on the stove untill it gurgles steam through the coffee, that’s very bad for the taste. Keep an eye on it, and take it off the heat as soon as the top looks ‘full’

And get a stainless one (aluminium always tasted funny to me) that does the exact number of shots you need/want, my parents were putting a teaspoon in an 8 cup and making overly complicated filter coffee! It should be measured in then tamped down slightly.

molgrips
    Free Member

A Q’ for coffee people….Is the coffee from a full on espresso machine any better than the stove top thingy ?

Somewhat different. Not really any such thing as ‘better’ when talking about different methods.

Is a cake better than a biscuit?

righog
    Free Member

Thanks TINAS… Good info there, I am already looking for some more exiting coffee’s. The one I bought ( with not much thought) was a 6 cup but I have already noticed the coffee is much better if I only half fill with water.

toby1

I call mine a Bialetti – maybe I’m just a ponce though?

teamslug
    Free Member

I was told to leave the lid open as the condensation drips back into the coffee also use really low heat and grind your own…Percol make a good strong brew. My 6 shot Bialetti gives me a good start in a morning!!

Cougar

We got a stove top thing for Christmas, identical to the OP’s picture.

They’re appropriately named; I was definitely perky later.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Is the coffee really that different to a french press?

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

if you are doing cafetieres you should check out…

http://www.planetarydesign.us/allproducts.html

..stunning bits of kit and amazingly good value too.

and that double shot travel mug, genius!

maccruiskeen

I more frequently remember the water but forget the coffee

mrblobby
    Free Member

It’s a start on the slippery slope into a world of coffee making paraphernalia 🙂

singlecrack
    Free Member

They’re ok on a gas stove ……take bloody ages on an electric stove 😛

crazy-legs

I’ve done that but forgot the coffee (don’t ask, I don’t know how) – on the plus side though everything was very clean once it had had a load of boiling water through it!

coffeeking
    Free Member

Wonder if hotlinking facebook photos works…

My collection in its current form.

righog
    Free Member

I just bought a 2 cup version from my link above for camping bike packing, for £6

sweepy
    Free Member

What do you reckon to that Presseo coffeeking? Ive been thinking of one but they aren’t cheap, I use my aeropress for shots, and enjoy an espresso but most of my coffee is early morning when I assume time and noise might make an electric machine a nuisance (for the mrs, not me, but when she’s unhappy, we’re all unhappy)

coffeeking
    Free Member

I’m really enjoying it to be honest, it seems to make the ideal cup for my tastes but I’ve not tried some of the super-expensive machines some people on here have. It requires a fine grind (if I buy normal ground I re-grind it but I’ve been buying beans for a long time now) but the end result can be tempered to your taste so it’s pretty adaptable. I’m not sure it’d be miles different from an aeropress. Shot size is about 150ml max, which means that for a large mug full it’s a bit on the lean side and needs a second shot, but it’s fast and reliable so far. You get huge leverage with the arm length, they reckon you can generate up to about 9 bar. End result is indistinguishable from a good coffee shop coffee IMO, but the milk frother is a PITA and needs a re-design (I’ll be submitting drawings to them soon, I’m that pee’d off!). I only paid £80 for the whole thing new, so it wasn’t a huge investment in comparison with the RRP!

IF you’re anywhere near Glasgow feel free to drop in for a test 🙂

satchm00
    Free Member

I got a subscription at Christmas for,

https://www.beanandground.co.uk

They send fresh beans every month, i’m renewing when my 3 month sub is up soon. Some fantastic coffees and nice little info guide on where they come from and explain to you how to make the perfect brew depending on the beans!

StefMcDef
    Free Member

I bought a stovetop thing and a new cafetiere after some over enthusiastic plunging put paid to the old cafetiere.

Although the coffee is nicer from the stovetop contraption, the ease of multiple refills from the cafetiere means it sees a lot more use.

sweepy
    Free Member

Thanks CK, sounds like it might be the thing for me, I only drink shots, and i’m very happy with the aeropress but the slide into being a coffee tart is underway I fear 🙂

TooTall
    Free Member

So few people using the good old filter here. Pushing boiling water through strong coffee at high pressure is very nice, but a lot of coffees respond far better to being filtered.

P20

A mate bought me a stove top a few years ago. It does produce nice coffee, certainly a different taste to the cafetiere.
    Here’s hoping that someone buys the coffee machine on our wedding list

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Coffeetrackworld, my coffee has improved a lot with a small outlay.’ is closed to new replies.