Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • Coffee-which one am bestest?
  • oli82
    Free Member

I find lavazza is easy to make espresso w crema – I seem to struggle with other supremarket in-house stuff.

Does grinding beans to get fresh really taste lots different then? I have a feeling I’ve got a bit of a blender I could bodge…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

A BLENDER?!?!?!?!?!?! OMG 😯

bruneep

*sits down with a nice cup of tea to await the niche-tastic one-upmanship that occurs with these coffee threads*

Hi

*savours the coffee*

Get my beans from local shop Macbeans

Blender 😯 Mmmm are you trolling

TooTall
    Free Member

oli – step away from the bodge!

poppa
    Free Member

I find lavazza is easy to make espresso w crema – I seem to struggle with other supremarket in-house stuff.

Are you using finely ground stuff (marked espresso) or coffee intended for cafetiéres? I have no problems getting crema from supermarket coffee, which is odd.

thomthumb
    Free Member

where is Dr P and his cat shit coffee?

oli82
    Free Member

the blender claims to have an attachment for doing breadcrumbs – similar right? 😛

MrSmith
    Free Member

just use a plastic bag and a rolling pin instead of a proper grinder.

andyl
    Free Member

trailmonkey – Member
    if it’s an espresso machine then it’s got to be Lavazza coffee

+1 for Lavazza.

Try some and see if you like it.

I do like Illy though but have not compared the 2 back to back, normally have Illy when out and Lavazza at home to keep things different.

I keep trying other makes with fancy names and claims but something is just right about Lavazza and Illy.

PS nice choice of machine. Quite depressing how the capsule machines have taken over the shelves in the shops these days.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Lavazza all the way here! Lavazza Rossa (in the red packet)

Used to be an Illy but its just too expensive since Costco stopped stocking it…

mattbee

Grabbed some Lavazza preground from the shop across the road last night as I had to use the machine.It seems a nice coffee but a little ‘weak’. Mind you on the machine there’s only one setting for strength with preground as opposed to 5 or 6 for beans. (It is ESAM 5600 btw. WIfe has a friend who works for manufacturer, I saw the price online and nearly spat out my newly made coffee!)
    I’m off to hunt out various beans this afternoon, any recommendations for shops in Portsmouth area? Looking forward to feeding a new ‘addiction’…..

BigJohn

If anybody is thinking of getting a grinder (and I staunchly maintained for years that Lavazza ground was good enough until I bit the bullet and realised I was plain wrong) may I recommend the Iberital MC2from Happy Donkey.

It’s good because it grinds the beans directly into your filter in a measured dose so it’s even less faff than using ground out of a tin. And at £114 it’s a steal for a proper burr grinder.

MrSmith
    Free Member

you have to add vat to that (and maybe shipping?)still a good price.
    if you are short on space the ascaso i-mini is good too in either stainless or black.

popstar
    Free Member

I buy from Whittards of Chelsea coffee beans of different choice, wouldn’t recommend buying bigger packs over week’s suply as beans have to be fresh. Also, for extra ooomph consider adding a bit of syrup instead of brown sugar ( caramel, hazelnut, amaretto etc ).

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Syrup’s great for coffee. I like hazelnut.

poppa
    Free Member

Syrup???!?!?!?! 🙄

MrSmith
    Free Member

syrup? like adding coca-cola to single malt.

popstar
    Free Member

If you haven’t tried it … there saying goes. Not suggesting adding Rybeena squash am I ? Well if you go far into niche of drinking fine coffee, one must experiment. High street coffee brands off supermarkets shelf? You must be joking me!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Amaretto is lovely added to a good espresso.

MrSmith
    Free Member

or grappa if it’s not good enough to drink on it’s own.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Vanilla syrup and a small spoon of double cream really brings out the flavour of a single estate arabica.

MrSmith
    Free Member

squirty cream, hundreds and thousands and chocolate sauce helps bring out the subtle flavours of a freshly ground single estate Yirgacheffe.

poppa
    Free Member

Like makeup on a beautiful lady, or barbeque sauce on asparagus.

popstar
    Free Member

MrSmith, I bet you are a fine coffee connoisseur!

andyl
    Free Member

Caramel syrup.

Also perfect for adding into Oreo cookie milkshakes 🙂

Machines that grind or can take pre-ground are the best. We have a Jura machine at Uni which is great. But it takes a beating (lots of coffee addicted academics and post grads/docs).

Nice place round the corner that roasts beans too so you can go in and have a chat about what you like and let him recommend something to try.

Innes
    Free Member

After reading this thread I decided to get some better coffee. I went to a Deli in town and asked for espresso beans ground for an espresso machine. The coffee had next to no smell, and I could of ground better with that suggestion of a rolling pin and plastic bag.

I decided to order some decent stuff, so I ordered a couple of packs of coffee from Highland Coffees.

I have had some of their coffee before and it was really good. I made a mistake in my order so I phoned up, they were very helpful and sorted it out and said they were roasting tomorrow and would send it out tomorrow afternoon, so it should be nice and fresh.

Innes

ransos
    Free Member

I tried buying beans from a local roaster, but prefer Sainsbury’s espresso beans. This may make me a philistine, but it shows that personal preference is what counts. I do find a grinder to be essential though – unless you drink a fair amount, pre-ground will have gone stale before you finish the packet.

grahamb
    Free Member

if you are short on space the ascaso i-mini is good too in either stainless or black.

I have an 250W I-Mini. If all you’re grinding for is espresso & shelf space is tight then it’s an excellent machine. (It needed a minor bit of work with the Dremmel. The grinds back up the chute partly due to a burr on the bottom of the chute & partly because the basket is too close to the chute. It seems to be a known problem with them, but was easily fixed. 😀

MrSmith
    Free Member

said they were roasting tomorrow and would send it out tomorrow afternoon, so it should be nice and fresh.

i prefer to let the beans finish de-gassing before grinding, 3-4 days is usually enough.

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Coffee-which one am bestest?’ is closed to new replies.