Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Coffee via V60 – yawn…
  • Kryton57

My coffee takes an age to drip through even at course grind, and the coffee is always lukewarm and the funnel = 1 mug. I’m thinking of going back to Cafetière.

Method:

a) Filter paper in, rinse and let drip through / warm. Empty.
    b) Add coffee and moisten to bloom
    c) Fill funnel with water, wait 9 mins
    d) drink not vey hot coffee.

What can I change / improve to get multiple cups of hot coffee?

Rubber_Buccaneer

I got one free from somewhere so tried it and thought the same. Happier with an Aeropress as it has a better filter than a cafetière and is quick to use and rinse.

scruffythefirst
    Free Member

The two STW approved answers are likely to be

Gaggia classic or Bung it in the microwave

spannermonkey

Aeropress 👍

matt_outandabout

Why wait 9 mins?

I wop coffee into filter, splash of hot water to moisten grounds, then 30 seconds later fill the filter. As soon as it’s dripped through, job jobbed.

I find some filter papers are really slow. I stick to cheaper ones now
    I use the plastic V70, it’s loses less heat.

petefromearth

There’s different filters which give you longer/shorter brew times. I wouldn’t go too coarse on the grind.

The James Hoffman vids are worth a look if you’ve not already seen them

johnnystorm

Nine minutes!? Mines made and drunk in less time using a v60!

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

I think about 2.5 mins is how long it’s supposed to take, for a double shot, so something isn’t right.

I’ve used Pact ‘pre-ground for espresso machines’ bags which worked well, for me. The Pact V60 grind didn’t work at all well. Which goes to show something I suppose.

Leaving grind aside, cos it’s obvious, I can’t really think of any other variables … you have definitely got everything lined up so that the coffee can drip freely into the jug, have you?

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

oh hang on – you’re not putting the whole mug’s worth of water into the funnel are you? I don’t think you can be cos of volumes … but if you are, that might explain why it’s taking so long … (as opposed to making an espresso’s worth of coffee, then adding that to a mug of hot water for an americano, say, i mean ..?)

Kryton57

you have definitely got everything lined up so that the coffee can drip freely into the jug, have you?

Yep, and I have the plastic one but was too grumpy / uncaffinated in the mornings to think of putting the V60 straight on the cup.

So I sat through 10 mins of James Hoffman, and I think I can surmise that my pour after to the bloom is wrong, in that I just blast a mugful straight out of the hot tap to the top of the V60. Definitely seems that the whole thing get clogged by coffee.

@dorset_knob
    – wouldn’t that make a weak coffee?

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

wouldn’t that make a weak coffee?

no

I just followed the instructions that came in the box with the dripper, and my understanding wasn’t that I should run a mug’s worth of hot tap water into the dripper 🙂

did you get one of the funny-spouted pouring things too? they have a useful single- and double-shot measuring guide on them

TiRed

Aeropress. Or heat the filter and wet the paper. And dilute with hot water.

Kryton57

did you get one of the funny-spouted pouring things too? they have a useful single- and double-shot measuring guide on them

No….

For clarity I do have an aeropress. What I’m looking for is a large container full of hot coffee for – for example – me to sit at my desk and keep pouring during tomorrow’s “all hands” call…

Thanks for the V60 tips though, I’ll try the espresso method direct to cup in the morning.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

I suspect that if you added a double-espresso’s worth of just-boiled water to the grind you’re using, it would come through far too quickly.

So you use a finer grind, and get a nicer shot, which you add to hot water, for a quick, hot and tasty coffee 🙂

well unless i’ve been doing it completely wrong that is, and this is singletrack, so I await judgement

thenorthwind

@Dorset_Knob
    If it’s working for you, you’re not doing it wrong… But having said that, I’ve never heard of trying to use a v60 to make espresso-style coffee – surely it’s not strong enough to dilute unless you like your coffee particularly weak?

But then I’m an espresso/Aeropress guy and have never really got on with pourovers, it’s not the style of coffee I like, so maybe I’m doing it wrong.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

unless you like your coffee particularly weak

how very dare you

normally i drink an americano made with a double-shot from my Sage Barista Express, but use a V60 on holiday, and probably don’t add as much water as I would at home … it’s not as strong, defo, but it’s not weak

.. but the ‘2 cups’ measure on the ‘kettle’ certainly wouldn’t make a couple of mugs without topping up …

Ioneonic

The  Melitta Look IV Therm Timer is perfect for multiple hot cups. Thermal flask so it doesn’t stew and coffee stays hot for at least 4 hours. I don’t use my aeropress or v60 at home any more.

matt_outandabout

you’re not putting the whole mug’s worth of water into the funnel are you? I don’t think you can be cos of volumes

You can if you’ve big equipment.

😎

kimura54321

@kryton57 – Which grinder are you using, as some produce oodles of fines even at coarser settings? Blade grinders for example give both boulders and dust, loads of clogging. Not sure how you can get 9 minutes 🤔

I use the water straight off the boil to be honest, light roast coffees really need it.

Loads of V60 nonsense but I like these two. You can do ~700ml two pour batches with an 02 size V60. Up to 1l or so with a size 03.

James Hoffmann – bloom with twice coffee weight to water for 45 seconds, pour one about 60% of the water in by 1:30 and swirl, wait a bit and put in the remaining 40% by about 3:00. Final swirl and a total drawdown

Scott Rao – single pour with almost espresso fine – bloom 3x weight coffee wait ~45 seconds and then do a single pour and swirl. Can’t scale the volume easily.

Kryton57

This one, it is a burr grinder: https://www.delonghi.com/en-gb/kg79-kg-series-grinder/p/KG79

I also think I’ve got the bloom wrong with not enough water, I’m kinda making the coffee “damp” and I wonder whether I’m creating a sludge.

kimura54321

In case you “need a bigger boat” ☕️🪣 Benefits from a really good preheat though

Hario V60 Glass Coffee Dripper Black – Size 03

kimura54321

@kryton57 – That should be OK enough. How about trying maximum coarseness next time and seeing if you get under 5mins?

With the bloom you are looking for an evenly wetted sludge, it’s preparing it for the next pour to help the flow be more even. I usually give it a gentle stir with a teaspoon whilst doing that, after 45 seconds all the liquid has gone for me in most cases.

Two pour recipes are a lot more forgiving, especially with more entry level grinders and normal kettles.

Kryton57

Yeah maybe I need a bigger dripper to fill up my jug, and use the current one for “one cup”. So tomorrow I’ll try more water on the bloom and the Scott Mao stir and see what happens.

continuity
    Free Member

Also how has nobody noticed that Kryton has said he’s just using water from the hot tap.

WATER FROM THE HOT TAP? WHAT ARE YOU, A **** MONSTER?

continuity
    Free Member

You can do 500ml in a 02 size hario filter / v60 easily. For that’ one of the 2-3 pour methods is fine.

For a single cup up to 300ml, a pulsed 10sec pour is going to get you a more even extraction.

Kryton57

Lol. We don’t have a kettle…

continuity
    Free Member

There would appear to be a relatively simple solution to that problem.

Your coffee tastes like crap because you’re drinking water that is sat festering from a hot water tank and released not hot enough to actually extract any flavour from your beans.

This is like the coffee equivalent of trying to ride your bike without tyres on and complaining about the ride.

igm

He’s a Quooker man isn’t he?

Kryton57

Success!

I used the v60 over the mug and the Hario jug as an interim vessel to slow the pour, introducing more water on the bloom and a gentle stir after the pour. 2.5 minutes, and a decent coffee IMHO.

prettygreenparrot

Congratulations.

matt_outandabout

tetrode
    Free Member

I think I can surmise that my pour after to the bloom is wrong, in that I just blast a mugful straight out of the hot tap to the top of the V60.

How did you watch the James Hoffmann video on the perfect V60 method and not realise that this is absolutely, collossally the wrong way to do it. You just blast a mugful straight out of the hot tap???? That’s utterly ridiculous.

The whole reason the V60 is a great way to do coffee is because you have complete control over the pour. It’s called POUR over for a reason, not BLAST WITH THE HOT TAP.

Edit: Oh ok you watched the Hoffmann video after doing your method, that makes more sense. But STILL!

petefromearth

That Scott Rao video is great, not quite the charismatic delivery of James Hoffman but a much better explanation of what the bloom is for

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.