Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)
  • Coffee machine?
  • MrSmith
    Free Member

or that’s really as good as it gets.

it’s very consistent, consistently mediocre.

Paceman
    Free Member

Aerobie Aeropress Espresso makers are fantastic…

Mr Smith… but they don’t make espresso coffee.

Espresso definition:

Espresso is a concentrated beverage brewed by forcing a small amount of nearly boiling water under pressure through finely ground coffee beans.

Have you actually used an Aeropress? This is exactly how it works. Try one, you might be surprised. 😉

hora
    Free Member

If you are localish to me I might sell my nearly new Gaggia Classic.

dantsw13

Convert, I think people try to use a capsule designed for a short espresso to make a long coffee. If I’m making a big coffee, I use 2 pods.

Kryton57

convert – Member
    Is there a knack to Nespresso or an element of skill involved? I’ve had a few cups made for me by proud owners and found them weak, bland and tasteless. A struggle to finish and not be rude to be honest. The only times I’ve drunk such pap was in the States. Just wondered if it was user error (by three different users) or that’s really as good as it gets.

Sounds to me like the settings are wrong. Most machines have an ability for the user to “set” how much water comes through – perhaps its been set accidentally / deliberately to have too much water per measure….

Skill? No. As long as you can put shapes (pods) in holes and press a button.

convert

Yes – both of those explanations sound reasonable. 2 pods for a longer coffee would get expensive though.

Since moving from a cafetiere to espresso at home, my milk orientated drinks are stronger and shorter than before (mostly a flat white/cappuccino/cortado type hybrid in a small traditional sized 4.5oz cappuccino cup or a proper macchiato with just a touch of milk in it and on it) so a Nespresso made too long for the pod used would taste super thin and weak to my taste buds.

dantsw13

As for 5-6 mins for a coffee, it takes me 2 minutes to make 2 lattes for the missus and me. An espresso takes 15 seconds!! And no cleaning!

MrSmith
    Free Member

Have you actually used an Aeropress? This is exactly how it works. Try one, you might be surprised

yes, the upside down method and ‘normal’ and a siphon brewed coffee and a stove top, filter and cafetiere.

they all make coffee, none of them have the pressure required to make a real espresso.

According to the Italian Espresso National Institute and the Specialty Coffee Association of America, an espresso must be made using a precise extraction pressure of 9 bar.

Kryton57

convert – Member
    Yes – both of those explanations sound reasonable. 2 pods for a longer coffee would get expensive though.

Since moving from a cafetiere to espresso at home, my milk orientated drinks are stronger and shorter than before (mostly a flat white/cappuccino/cortado type hybrid in a small traditional sized 4.5oz cappuccino cup or a proper macchiato with just a touch of milk in it and on it) so a Nespresso made too long for the pod used would taste super thin and weak to my taste buds.

You do realise that both the espresso and lungo sizes use standard measures – like the shops? And are you using the Lungo option with the appropriate Lungo pods?

convert

Read above – don’t own one and have little interest in the practicalities of one as never planning on buying – just get given quite dreadful coffee at the houses of those that do and just wondered why it was quite so poor given the “hype” around these machines.

scottyjohn
    Free Member

I have an aeropress after trying a lot of different methods, and I love it. If you use espresso ground coffee and put a lot of pressure on the plunger, you get a first class espresso with crema and all. Best thing I have bought.

Kryton57

convert – Member
    Read above – don’t own one – just get given quite dreadful coffee at the houses of those that do and just wondered why it was quite so poor given the “hype” around these machines.

Fair point. It could be thats those that do aren’t using the machines properly, or you don’t like nespresso. Each to there own of course.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

For that budget I’d be tempted to stick with an Aeropress and a good quality hand grinder, and some great beans from somewhere like Hasbean or Squaremile Roast.

Gaggia classic , a burrr grinder and fresh roasted coffee from happy donkey or others , welcome to the mad house

I wouldn’t touch Happy Donkey with a bargepole. I purchased a (faulty) grinder for my dad’s Christmas from them, 5 months later he is still stuck with a dodgy grinder, lots of arsey emails from them and no option but small claims court to sort them out!

montylikesbeer

I have only bought coffee beans, tampers, tamper mats, measuring glasses and jugs from Happy Donkey, every order was a dream.

Sorry to hear about your grinder issue

growmac

We were given a Senseo machine for Christmas. Initially it was disappointing – the coffee was okay, better than instant, but no reason to turn away from the stove top espresso machine.

We now use coffee from http://www.thecoffeepod.co.uk and it’s transformed it. Sure, probably not quite as good as a decent grinder and machine I’m sure, but really nice, strong, fresh coffee with almost zero hassle. It works out about 13p a cup; I can’t decide if that’s good or expensive? Either way, it’s now getting heavy use rather than sitting ignored. Cheap to buy too.

justatheory
    Free Member

How much you after?

johnhe

I had some Senseo coffee once, and was disappoined too. A hotel I regularly stay in with work has one in the room, so it’s good to hear that there is decent coffee available.

hora
    Free Member

How much you after?

Circa 110?

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I see people recommend the Gaggia Classic. Mine looks similar but it just says “Coffee” on it. Is it essentially the same thing? Bought direct from Gaggia UK recon’d about 8 years ago. It’s bombproof (of course, that’s a kiss of death eh?)

I just buy Lavazza espresso pre ground. Hits the spot for me. Not ventured into burr grinders just not felt the need.

hora
    Free Member

aphex_2k – I had my first Classic at the sametime as you (it didn’t have classic on the body but is the same shape etc). I think maybe they just added decals etc at a later refresh.

My first one LASTED until I tried descaling it and it all went wrong.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I went to Oz for 2 years and left the machine here. I did a couple of flushes with white wine vinegar and water which is probs a huge no-no but it’s still working. The only issue I had was the spout on the portafilter was plastic and crack so replaced with a metal one off ebay. Might go and fire it up now actually.

therag
    Free Member

hora – Member

Where are you? I’m in s.Wales

hora
    Free Member

Manchester -could probably post as have original box.

cinnamon_girl

So … guys … amuse me. You’re offered instant coffee at someone’s house – what do you do?

Thanks. 🙂

hora
    Free Member

A girl invites me back for coffee?

I’d stroke her cat, make a token fuss over it and give her a compliment about her choice of colours/decoration. I’d then point to the pic of her mother on the fireplace and quip is this her older sister?

Then I’d drink the coffee. That is unless we forget the coffee was there..

Rubber_Buccaneer

I usually ask for tea, it’s a safer bet.

crotchrocket
    Free Member

CG> Get me back to your house and ask me?

cinnamon_girl

😆 at the replies, hora’s on top form!

Tend to agree about tea though, although nothing can beat proper tea leaves.

crotchrocket – a bucket of cold water for you! 😉

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

I usually ask for tea, it’s a safer bet.

+1. Instant coffee is vile. Am so fussy when it comes to coffee. Thankfully our coffee machine produces a good espresso 8)

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Ask for tea! In fact I’ve started asking for tea in most places unless I know for a fact they have a decent machine that they know how to use- that includes Starbucks and Costa (though Costa is slight better) these days as it’s pretty poor when you compare it to the good stuff. I also no longer use the Costa franchise we have at work and bought an Aeropress for office use with fresh beans ground every morning.

I’m turning into such a fussy (or snobby depending how you look at it) coffee drinker!

mojo5pro
    Free Member

A girl invites me back for coffee?

I’d then point to the pic of her mother on the fireplace and quip is this her older sister?

Not exactly a compliment to the lady present…much success?

therag
    Free Member

Finally got around to buying a machine, a delonghi 330.
    I’ve made a few average lattes and have lots to learn

Rubber_Buccaneer

Hope you have bought yourself some fresh coffee, it will make far more difference than spending £££££ on the machine.

therag
    Free Member

Not yet, tomorrows dutys include going into Cardiff for the babas game then search for beans and a grinder

FOG

Second the fresh coffee. My son used to be a barrista and he said the 2 main things that made shop coffee better than that made at home were very fresh coffee and very high pressure machines. Now a lot of domestic machines give high pressures but people still keep coffee a long time and expect it to still taste good a month later. I now buy very small quantities of beans and grind them when needed and the improvement is really noticeable. I do have to go down to Pollards every week but thats no hardship!

chipsngravy
    Free Member

+ 1 De’Longhi Magnifica

Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘Coffee machine?’ is closed to new replies.