Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Coffee
  • mikey74
    Free Member

Ok, I haven’t drunk coffee for years, except for the odd drunken trip home from London, and I fancy getting some in to have the odd cup occasionally (particularly in the morning if I need a pick-me-up).

So what is a “good” coffee to buy from Sainsburys (or equal and approved shop).

Bear in mind though that as I rarely drink it, the caffeine does have a rather big effect on me.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Taylors’s Lazy Sunday has a low caffiene level…

Sainsbury’s own Italian is very passable, green packet IIRC. I think very low caffeine coffees are often not very nice, just make a smaller slightly weaker cup of good coffee would be my advice.

sefton
    Free Member

hasbean!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mikey74
    Free Member

just make a smaller slightly weaker cup of good coffee would be my advice.

That’s pretty much what I was thinking. Thanks for the suggestions.

ThePinkster

Never understood how anyone can drink coffee. Foul stuff, like Satan’s black jizzum.

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest. Carry on now. 🙂

mikey74
    Free Member

Never understood how anyone can drink coffee. Foul stuff, like Satan’s black jizzum.

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest. Carry on now.

To be honest I’ve always thought it smells far better than it tastes, hence why I haven’t drunk it for years. However, I am willing to give it another go.

rewski
    Free Member

it smells far better than it tastes

there’s an amazing roasting coffee smell on my ride into work, just around the crossroads at the Imperial War Museum and Lambeth North tube, lovely.

Monmouth Coffee is very smooth.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Don’t you need a blend made from a bean thats been shat out by some strange jungle creature ?
    Either that or a nice cup of Gold Blend, two sugars and a squirt of UHT…….

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Buying from Hasbean – what grind for a stove top mocha pot?

BillMC

Percol fairtrade Guatamalan. Waitrose sell it.

mikey74
    Free Member

I assume instant is to be avoided, yes?

gortnell
    Free Member

Lavazza man, that stuff will pick up and ditch you in the next room.

BrickMan

http://shop.squaremilecoffee.com/

I get quite a bit from these guys (know the guy who started it, which helped) and is excellent.

In supermarkets, I really rate tesco’s ‘finest’ columbian supremo beans, for a supermarket job, very very good and only about £3 a bag(a months worth). percol do some good stuff too.

In supermarkets I avoid ALL taylor’s coffee’s, none are that interesting, most are aimed at the 70+ ‘I have no sense of taste’ brigade, and none keep for more than a few days (if you could bare them in the 1st place).

RobHilton
    Free Member

Lavazza man, that stuff will pick up and ditch you in the next room.

Carefully does it! I had a quad espresso this afternoon and I’ve been a gibbering wreck ever since 😳

mikey74
    Free Member

Carefully does it! I had a quad espresso this afternoon and I’ve been a gibbering wreck ever since

That’s normally me after one regular from Cafe Nero, on the rare occasions I drink it. I’ll have to check this Percol stuff out when I’m in Sainsburys on Sunday.

Brickman: I think a guy at work goes there sometimes. I may have to ask him to get me some.

plop_pants
    Free Member

Lavazza/Douwe Egberts blend. Ummmmmmmmmmmm nice.

CHB

Taylors Take it Easy is a reduced caffiene blend. M&S have a 50% caffiene blend too.

snipswhispers
    Free Member

bloke in cafe…”waiter, this coffee tastes like mud”

waiter…”well, it was ground ten minutes ago”

cinnamon_girl

Try Sainsbury’s Premium Blend, available in both filter and cafetiere blends. Currently has a third off so I’ve been stockpiling!

Awaits the wrath of the coffee snobs. 😉

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Coffee – foul stuff, this is what you need:
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eELH0ivexKA[/video]

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Lavazza Oro

ell_tell
    Free Member

Know I will get shot down in flames but I’m enjoying this stuff lately.

chewkw
    Free Member

Don’t fall for the brand(s) or so called premium local fresh roaster(s) as some of them are just full of shite to be frank. Buy whatever gives you the kick and the taste then drink gallons of them …

I used to buy from a local roaster a while back when trendy freshly roaster coffee was not well known and everyone thought that the barista would give them free advice on a court case …

So my local roaster hit the jackpot when drinking freshly roasted coffee started becoming trendy nearly 10 years ago … guess what … they become very trendy too and so too are their coffee beans … they started to roast trendy shite! i.e. some of their beans changed … hhmmm … it tasted poorly … not like what it used to be.

Forward many years later, now I just buy whatever beans that are cheap and good. I recently bought kilos (3) of Portuguese roasted mixed beans (Arabica & Robasta) to give it a try and yes, they tasted rather good too at half the price. More caffeine too with Robasta …

I have stopped buying from my local roaster for several years now because I think I was beginning to look like the character from Harry Enfield sketch “I can see you coming” overpriced character but mostly because the quality has gone … the beans now taste roughly the same. Ever since they stopped selling one of their good beans I stopped buying from them …

🙄

Mr_Mojo
    Free Member

http://www.hands-on-coffee.co.uk

Was at Cornwall show a few weeks ago and these guys had a stand there. They’re based in Cornwall too. Really nice coffee.

stavromuller
    Free Member

Wetherspoon’s do a very nice Lavazza, trouble is if I go there for breakfast I want to stay all day drinking the stuff

drlex
    Free Member

Well played, RTC & CFH!
    I am delighted to make the acquaintance of Chap-Hop; a jolly wheeze, rather.

As to coffee, I’d agree with the sentiments to avoid Taylor’s sub-par offerings if you’re in need of a pick-me-up; if you can’t get freshly-roasted beans, then most of the supermarket’s top end foil-bags are ok. Bizarrely, IKEA have a very cheap (sub £2 for 250g), vacuum-packed “brick”) that’s passable – “Bryggkaffe Mörkrost” . Ask for it in your best Swedish Chef voice…

maxtorque

Get yourself over to see Tony at UK bike skills, learn to ride properly AND find out what is a great cup of coffee………. double win !

😉

mikey74
    Free Member

You will all be ashamed of me: I went to Sainsburys and ended up buying some Percol Rainforest INSTANT coffee, and I have to say it is actually very nice.

Call me a heathen if you will, but I couldn’t be bothered to splash out on a cafettiere as well.

simonlovell999
    Free Member

I usually have lidls own colombian, aldi french or italian blend. Currently on the percol rocket fuel, which does a very good job and tastes good. Think I be getting some of the lavazza caffe expresso

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Coffee’ is closed to new replies.