Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Coed Y Brenin – which trails to ride for a big day out?
  • stick_man

It’s been about 7 years since I last rode CYB, apart from a quick visit this year to ride the excellent new skills section with my kids.

Lots of new trails to chose from by the look of it! Any recommendations or ones to avoid? Planning to spend a whole day there next weekend.

Ta.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d ride the Beast and then if you want more do the Tawr across the road.

You’ll have done almost the whole lot then.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Do them all.

Actually doing them all isn’t anything like as much as you’d think. They’ve been very sneaky with the trails and make it seem like they’ve got much more than they have by giving subsets of certain trails names of their own.

I think Twyr (or whatever the Red Bull is called these days) and The Beast used to cover pretty much everything of note.

You could add the Afon to that, but it’s not great compared to the other routes.
    The Minor Taur is additional, and is great for what it is.

But I think the MBR and Dragon’s back are just subsets of the Beast/

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

We did the Beast & Tawr together last month. Easy enough for a day, although on the Beast we did the road shortcut near the cafe, as I didn’t really fancy another 8km of boring fire road to get to the fun bit.

It was a good day out. Just over 50km all in with a decent amount of climbing. Beast first though IMO.

singletracksurfer

You can mix n match the trails to avoid most of the double track and do most of the single tracks in one not to big ride. It was in MBUK a little while back,made up of the beast and the bull (if I remember correctly). do the beast with a couple of diversions, to the southern point then cross the road to join the tawr (bull).

discoduck
    Free Member

Is it 8K from the Cafe to the Adams Family Bits 😯

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

No

johnnygooner
    Free Member

All of them! Ride the Minotaur out and back. Only a blue trail but ride it with as much speed as you can muster and its nice and swoopy and flows well. Then ride The Beast in its entirety. I’d even say include the big fire road slog to the east. Worth it for the views IMO. I include ‘Dreamtime’ which is the section immediately after you hit the tarmaced road. Cross over it instead of turning left then at the bottom turn right along the fire/dirt road. It eventually hits the same tarmac road you crossed over. It’ll come clear as soon as you look at a map. The first part is a sharp climb but reasonably short. Then follow the standard Beast waymarked trail. Tea and cake then Tawr over the road. Great day out. Hell I might even do it myself!!!

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Ride the Minotaur out and back. …. ride it with as much speed as you can muster and its nice and swoopy and flows well

Can I suggest you don’t ride it with as much speed as you can muster. The Minor Taur is a classic kids trail suitable for 3 year olds and above. I think it would be best to leave the high speed runs for other trails with less chance of crashing into Minors.

from the forestry website:

It’s a great fun introduction to mountain biking for a wide range of ages and abilities and is unique in that it can be used by riders with a disability using adaptive mountain bikes.

But I agree with the suggestion to do the Beast though.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Coed Y Brenin – which trails to ride for a big day out?’ is closed to new replies.