Coed y Brenin or Bike Park Wales, conditions?

Home Forum Bike Forum Coed y Brenin or Bike Park Wales, conditions?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Coed y Brenin or Bike Park Wales, conditions?
  • Premier Icon jkomo
    Subscriber

Going to one or other on Tuesday, but how are they riding? I’m not getting out much on the mountain bike, so I want this to count. Plus I’m taking a friend who has never done anything more than FOD, and for a five hour round trip, I don’t fancy a mud bath.

creamegg

Bike park Wales was fine yesterday.some trails- mainly blacks, were a bit muddy but on the whole it was fine. CYB will be fine too but the trails hold more water so expect loads of puddles

chojin

Was at BPW yesterday, a lot of the blacks were virtually unrunnable (for mere mortals on trail bikes at least). The rest of the trails were brilliant considering!

alsoran

Bpw not looking good at all and quite dangerous in places due to the stone surface being laid upon what is now mud. Go for cyb i reckon.

Premier Icon jkomo
    Subscriber

Ok, thanks

Premier Icon jkomo
    Subscriber

Any updates would be useful, still planning on going to CYB tomorrow.

beiciwr64

Any updates would be useful, still planning on going to CYB tomorrow

The Ranger at CYB usually has updates on FB,he’s on twitter as well.

nunuboogie

CYB was great fun over the weekend, lots of puddles so expect wet feet.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

CYB weathers well, it can be wet but it’s usually the good wet.

Yep, as above, CYB usually rides very well in the wet. However, if it’s really wet, I’d suggest NYA as another option. OK, so not as much opportunity to shred the gnat, but lovely riding in all weather!

BPW should ride OK in the wet for the most part, on the armoured sections at least. Some of the more “natural” bits will be a clagfest, I’d imagine.

Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg
    Subscriber

Was at CYB yesterday, lots of big puddles, a few trails resembling streams but all totally rideable. More sheltered than Penmacno (v windy on Saturday)

CFH, isn’t NYA shut due to tree felling for disease atm?

Premier Icon jkomo
    Subscriber

Fantastic, cheers all.
    That ranger Facebook link is very handy.

Premier Icon jkomo
    Subscriber

Oh I forgot, is the cafe half way round still open?
    Need to gauge how much water and food to take.

I done uplift at BPW, managed 11 runs, blacks were a bit muddy in places like coming out of the trees on dai hard, rest were spot on. I ride a trail bike.

People who have said otherwise must not live in South Wales.

RD, no idea, haven’t been up there for an age. Was just thinking more from experience of wet days in that part of the world, and for that NYA was always a favourite!

Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg
    Subscriber

Looks like it’s open but with possible disruption
    http://www.forestry.gov.uk/bwlchnantyrarian

rusty90

From the NYA newsletter :

Can I go mountain biking or horse riding in Bwlch Nant yr Arian whilst the larch trees are being felled?
    No, unfortunately all the mountain bike and horse riding trails will be closed for approximately three months from October 2013

Premier Icon jkomo
    Subscriber

Just back back from CYB.
    After a three hour drive in beautiful blue skies, it absolutely pissed down when we got there, and was on and off rain all day.
    It seemed to make no difference to the trail, even the rock gardens were okay. They really aren’t joking when they say it is all weather. I found it better than Cannock in the dry.
    We had a really great day. I had assumed wrongly that I would be flying up the climbs, but had clearly repressed the memory of those never ending ups.
    Tried out my new kit, Montane ‘dyno’ kept me dry in the rain but also wasn’t too sweaty, so really pleased.
    Smorgasbord tyres were grippy, had no pinch flats and just seemed the best tyres I’ve used. (Not that I’ve used many).
    Sealskin socks did well, but by the end my feet were sloshing around but at least were warm.
    And wearing base layer on my legs, under shorts and knee pads kept legs warm enough but more importantly stopped my knee pads from rubbing my knee caps raw.
    A perfect day all round, I had really forgotten how awesome CYB is.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Coed y Brenin or Bike Park Wales, conditions?’ is closed to new replies.