Coed y Brenin by rail?

Home Forum Bike Forum Coed y Brenin by rail?

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Coed y Brenin by rail?
  • Ffestiniogg (sp?) is the nearest station I think. Absolutely miles away and even worse to be travelling by train from Brum. It’d probably be quicker to ride there!

Premier Icon nickjb
    Subscriber

It must bee around half way between Ffestiniog and Machynlleth and not very close to either. Machynlleth is easier to get to from Brum but I think you’ll need another form of transport

Premier Icon crazy-legs
    Subscriber

I looked into this years ago and it just didn’t work out (initially we assumed since it was a group of us coming from several different places it’d be easy to get the train, meet at the station and ride to CyB) but it was just impossible, especially with camping kit, clothing, bike spares/tools etc.

Or at least, not impossible but you’d probably have to find a big taxi at the CyB end to get you from the station to the trail.

bigmick25

Nearest station (I think) is Barmouth, BUT its nearly a 4 hr trip from Brum and then a 12 mile ride to CYB from the station.

fungusfinger

Ohh well scratch that one then, cheers fellas.

fungusfinger

What about climach x, from Machynlleth station?

fungusfinger

What about climach x, from Machynlleth station?

traildog

I was going to suggest either changing where you plan to ride – such as riding at Machynlleth (or at Ffestiniog). Or seeing it as an adventure and doing it just because it’s not something you’d do very often.

But yes, I’d ride the trails at Machynlleth if that’s the best station to get to.

fungusfinger

Yes climach x is a possible, I havnt ridden that trail for a few years,whats it like these days? Last time we rode it, it wasnt the best apart from that last descent (my god)that was good so how is the rest now is it woth a trip over? Done nanty before that was pretty good but miles away from the station.hell I may just drive and do both again.

maurizio

Clearly you all need to HTFU 😉

I’ve just been with a group, Barmouth is the closest station lovely seaside town too. Will take you 1hour 30 to cycle to CyB from the station (we were carrying a weeks worth of camping, clothes food and a tool kit so you’ll be fine) and we were on crappy hard tails/rigids/ss

It”ll be a long day but great fun all the way. The trails to CyB are lovely too

Edit: three of us were hungover too :p

fungusfinger

1.5 hours doesnt seem like much, but were hoping on doing a one day turn around, getting early train there late train home no camping.

flatfish

So your not going to pedal to a trail centre where your going to have to pedal a bike?
    Unbelievable!

fungusfinger

Me and a few mates thinkin about a train journey to coed y brenin mtb trails.were coming from the midlands, prob birmingham.How far is the trail head from the closest rail station?

Premier Icon dti
    Subscriber

Climach x with the additional loops from the Dyfi Enduro would be better from Brum.
    http://www.dyfimountainbiking.org.uk/Dyfi_MTB/Welcome.html

Premier Icon BigDummy
    Subscriber

There are direct trains from New Street though, taking about 3.5 hours. Personally I’d hop off at Morfa Mawddach just before Barmouth and come in along the Mawddach estuary. Lovely ride of 13 miles, much of it traffic-free.

So that works out at about 9 – 10 hours travelling to do a loop of CyB.

Which is why those of us without access to a car tend not to ride trail centres very much. 😀

dyls

There is a path called the mawddach trail, which is an old railway so its flat, that goes from Barmouth towards dolgellau and just before dolgellau you can branch off it and take the cycle route 82, which is a minor road, into CyB.

fungusfinger

Flatfish, pedaling a bike is no problem at all, weve done 60 milers before now, time is the issue, we want to get a train early morning get and do 30 miles off road, a few beers then get train home all in one day.whats not to believe (ohh I get it your one of them troll types) but anyway thanks fellas,its looking like a climach x trip, ill drive next time to get my coed y fix.

beicmynydd

Get a but from either the station in Barmouth or Blaenau, the bus stops at the centre ( or used to )

Premier Icon nickjb
    Subscriber

CyB is probably out, maybe worth starting a new thread for ‘what trails by train?’ for some other ideas. You could certainly get to the Bristol trails easily. Fast train and a short ride but They aren’t exactly epic.

fungusfinger

Someone mentioned buses, something about bike racks on the roof, any truth in it?seems like a great idea but ive never seen a bus with a bikr rack before.

fungusfinger

Yeah your prob right, I normally drive but always find myself in these loverly country villages after a great days riding, we find a great little pub and im limited to one beer cuz im the sap doing the driving.think I will start a new thread”Great riding by train, with a nice pub at the end”

Premier Icon nickjb
    Subscriber

Someone mentioned buses, something about bike racks on the roof, any truth in it?

The Brecon Bus from Cardiff has a bike trailer. It’s aimed letting people ride around the Brecon Beacons then get the bus home but I’ve used it to get to Brecon then Ride the Taff Trail back to Cardiff. You could probably use it to get to the the new Bike Park Wales. Pretty sure it stops fairly close by.

matther01

You could do cadair idris mountain just across from barmouth…doing that next week.

iolo

Doesn’t one drive? Just hire a van and chuck everybody in. I promise you it will be a lot cheaper and a lot easier.

Premier Icon merynella
    Subscriber

No, one doesn’t drive, one just wants to ride one’s bike.

fungusfinger

Yes guys I do drive but as the previous posts say I fancied a ride with a few or five pint after, not wanting to crash or get in trouble with Johnnie law man, was looking for good riding with a train ride home back to Brum.

Houns

Betws y Coed? About 3.5 hours by train?

Premier Icon Pickers
    Subscriber

Does it have to be Wales?
    Quick check on trainline shows just over 2 hours to Kendal in the Lakes – good selection of trains for early starts and late returns. Is there a bike carrying service on the buses up there?

joemarshall

from Betws, you can do Penmachno and Marin trails in one day. Very decent long ride if you do both, and I understand you can link them off road.

flatfish

fungusfinger – Member
    Flatfish, pedaling a bike is no problem at all, weve done 60 milers before now, time is the issue, we want to get a train early morning get and do 30 miles off road, a few beers then get train home all in one day.whats not to believe (ohh I get it your one of them troll types) but anyway thanks fellas,its looking like a climach x trip, ill drive next time to get my coed y fix.

Why don’t you drive then, making it quicker then get home and then go to the pub near everybody’s house.
    Why does it have to be a welsh pub?
    Why not ride closer to home?
    Why a trail centre?

CyB is all right but I wouldn’t spend half a day getting there to ride for 3 hours then half a day getting back.
    As pickers says get to Kendal/oxenholme and change to Windermere and ride some real trails?

fungusfinger

Some cracking options fellas thanks a lot, I’ve never done any lakes riding, its one my list now after a youtube search.thanks again.

Premier Icon nickdavies
    Subscriber

You could always sack the train off, ride at birminghams trail centre in Sandwell valley, and spend the 8hours travelling time saved getting very drunk?

🙂

Premier Icon Speshpaul
    Subscriber

just an idea (it might not be new to you) the long mynd Train to shrewsbury ride out to eastridge over to the stiperstones, then the Mynd. when you have finsihed head to marshbrook -beer-train

Premier Icon valleydaddy
    Subscriber

why not come to Bike Park Wales opens on the 24th, all get train to Cardiff then to Merthyr, 10 min spin and you are there 😀

Perfect

Raouligan

It’s what you make of it I think, peaks is a day ride for me from London, early start for the ten miles to St Pancras 21/2 hours on the train ride in the hills then repeat coming back usually hope by about 8pm.

I’m neither that fit or committed, but it’s just dead easy, and cheap if you book in advance, I’ve had travel costs of £20 for that journey which seems to be a bargain ;0)

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Coed y Brenin by rail?’ is closed to new replies.