Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Coders (And other techies) of the North West, your advice please
  • chambord
    Free Member

I’m currently 2 years in to a Computer Science PhD, but some recent news has changed my situation drastically, and I don’t think I’ll be able to finish.

Where does one look for techy jobs (Programming related) in the North West? I know of cwjobs, can anyone recommend other websites or agencies? I’m currently in the process of setting up a meeting with the Uni careers dept.

I don’t have much industrial experience (I did a year internship 3 years ago programming in a research lab). I do think I’m of reasonable ability – I got a decent 1st in my degree and I’ve helped on courses teaching undergrads C, algorithms, graphics etc for the last two years. I’m not massively confident and I’m put off by a lot of the jobs I’ve seen as although I know I could learn it, I am not skilled in Java, JS, PHP, ruby and all that jazz – I’ve always used C and C++ but there doesn’t seem to be much of that going in the NW.

Any advice? Thanks.

oldnpastit

Can you relocate?

robware
    Free Member

I’ve seen loads going in and around Manchester, which is where I’m now starting to look. But I’m on the C# side of things. There’s a fair amount of PHP, and PHP is super easy especially if you have C++ under your belt. You could probably find an entry job in PHP fairly easily, especially in the Manchester area.

This may not seem like helpful advice, but I started on PHP. It’s a very easy platform to start a programming career on.

For what it’s worth, my experience tells me that academic programming and real world programming are very different beasts, so if it’s your first taste of commercial programming you’ll probably want to go in at a low level what ever you do.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    allthegear
    Free Member

Go speak with the people at http://www.ctidigital.com. They are a really good bunch of people I’d be proud to work with and I wouldn’t be surprised if they could recognise your talents and situation and work out something that works for you both.

Tell them I sent you.

Rachel

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Coders (And other techies) of the North West, your advice please’ is closed to new replies.