Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Codeine V's Nukeproof Mega 290.. comparing apples to bananas?
  • scary_carey
    Free Member

I currently have a Codeine which I’ve been over the moon with but of late I’ve been having my head turned by the Mega 290. My Codeine has off-set shock bushes, a 1.5 degree slackset and a 160mm Pike so the head angle and bottom bracket is quite similar to that of the Mega. I’m just wondering if the extra 20mm of rear travel and a slightly longer wheel base of the Mega will be make it feel that much different to my Codeine with its “geo mods”
    If the voices of STW were to convince me that I need the Mega, I’d just get the frame and lash everything off the Codeine on to it and flog the Codeine frame.
    Thoughts….?
    Mark

chakaping
    Free Member

Reach will be a good bit longer on the Mega?

And the chainstays are unusually long at 450mm. Do you have any strong feelings about chainstay length? I like mine about 430mm, personally.

I see the Codeine is 440mm, so I guess the Mega’ll be a bit harder to get round turns.

tall_martin

https://dirtmountainbike.com/bike-reviews/trail-enduro-bikes/nukeproof-mega-290.html

I was thinking about the mega, but went for an Orange Four as I already have a bike bike 🙂

Northwind

The Mega is a beast tbh, I did a couple of testrides because a mate was planning to get one. I have a Remedy 29 which I love but it’s definitely a rival.

I wrote the codeine off early mostly because of its sizing, even the large doesn’t have the reach I like though it does have a decent (claimed) wheelbase. (have to say I’m not quite convinced about the claimed wb, it’s hard to see where it comes from with short chainstays and tiny reach…)

Whether you buy into the “bigger is better” thing- for a bike like this, I do- is another question. What surprised me though is that the Mega still functions really well as a trailbike, anyone can build a big mad bike but not all of them will still be decent around glentress red or similiar.

ahwiles
    Free Member

Oh what the heck, why not chip in?

The ‘right now’ trend for longer, and longer reach, makes sense if you want to ride really fast, all the time, everywhere. But calm down for a moment, sit up and enjoy the views for a few seconds, and you’ll lose of lot a front wheel grip, you’ll go straight on at the next corner, and die horribly.

Or, with the hyperbole turned down a little, if longer is better, then it’s only better under certain circumstances, which may or may not be of benefit to you, all things considered.

You can access many of the benefits of a longer reach (and avoid many of the downsides) by using a longer stem…

And of course, if longer is still better, then it’s only if the bike still fits you.

(Standing by for furious flaming)

Northwind

ahwiles – Member

Or, with the hyperbole turned down a little, if longer is better, then it’s only better under certain circumstances, which may or may not be of benefit to you, all things considered.

Probably fair to assume that if someone’s considering buying one of the hardest hitting #enduro 29ers on the market, then they want it to excel at those circumstances. Likewise if they’ve put 160mm forks in a codeine.

chestrockwell

They aren’t even necessarily longer when you consider stem length has shortened quicker than top tubes have lengthened.

thepodge
    Free Member

In contrast to adam’s views above I’ve found moving to much longer bikes has improved my cornering no end, I think the extra room has let me weight the front without feeling I’m over the bars too much.

scary_carey
    Free Member

You’re on point there Northwind – When I bought the Codeine the Mega 290 was just a twinkle in the designers eye so wasn’t even an option – Hence me trying to turn the Codeine into a hard hitting #enduro 29er 😀 If the 290 had been around the Codeine wouldn’t have got a look in!
    As mentioned the Codeine is rather short in the reach…. especially with a 35mm stem! I’ve just put a 50mm stem on to try and emulate the longer reach of the Mega and see how that feels.
    I still have a 2011 Mega which has also been a brilliant bike so I’m more than curious to see if its big brother is a much fun.
    At the end of the day I don’t know who I’m trying to kid – I’ve got it in my head now that I want one and it’s my 40th next year so guess what I’m going to treat myself to hehehe
    Thanks for the input folks, more than helpful as ever 😀

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Codeine V's Nukeproof Mega 290.. comparing apples to bananas?’ is closed to new replies.