Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Codeine 29er vs Jeffsey (or similar) ?
  • Blackflag
    Free Member

Ive found myself reaching for my old 26 Cotic Soul a lot recently and concluded that its because i find my Codeine a bit heavy and draggy on rides. But when in the peaks and im pointing downhill i really miss the Codeine on the rough stuff.

Ive sort of concluded that if i had a similar, but lighter, bike such as a Jeffsey CF than id be a lot happier. Its highly likely that this train of thought is bollox though and the two bikes would be far too similar for any change to have been worthwhile (let alone the expense). Would there be much difference?

My Codeine weighs about 34lbs in the real world.

chakaping
    Free Member

Sound reasoning. Get it ordered.

Blackflag
    Free Member

^^ ha ha

orangespyderman

I’ve never ridden a Codeine, but I love my Jeffsy CF 29er a lot. It climbs better than I’d ever hoped it would (and I leave the shock in Open practically all the time) but is astonishingly capable when you point it down the hill. Took it to the Alps this summer and it was a hoot.

Flog the Codeine and get yourself one.

russyh
    Free Member

Pretty sure my Jeffsy was about (forum scales) 28lbsish…With Sixc cranks beign the only mod… After the 2nd ride i change to tyres that were heavier as i could not get on with the Onza.

I absolutely love the bike, I have raised the fork travel to 150mm and fit offset bushes. I am likely to remove the offset bushes shortly, Just ordered a Luftkappe and after my house move im ordering a coil shock.

The only bike i have enjoyed riding anywhere near as much was my old Spitfire. But out of the box the Jeffsy is superb and i’m hoping with my next round of mods its goign to be even better.

chakaping
    Free Member

Hey, I was serious, flog them both and get a Jeffsy.

orangespyderman

i could not get on with the Onza

Blimey, yeah, budget for tyres. The stock ones are dire. Only thing that lets the bike down, imho.

renton
    Free Member

What’s the build on the Codeine.

Mine is a large and I don’t find it that much of a drag.

roverpig

Dropping from 34lb to 28lb is significant in terms of bike weight, but it’s presumably only a 2-3% reduction in overall weight. You could possibly make a larger difference in climbing speed by fitting faster tyres to the Codeine, or look at losing the weight from somewhere other than the bike frame. But new bikes are always a good idea.

ogden
    Free Member

If you can afford a new bike and want a new bike, get a new bike 😀

Blackflag
    Free Member

Codeine is standard build from on one. Pikes, x1, roam 30 wheels and rev post. CCDB shock. YT put the CF Pro at 28lbs in small without pedals so i think its same to round that to 30 with pedals and a size large using real world weights.

Goldigger
    Free Member

Jeffsy… I can hear it calling your name.
    Is it me or is this an oranges and apples comparison?
    If I was looking for a new bike this would be top of the list along with a canyon spectral…but that’s just me.
    (Spectral isn’t a 29er)

bigbloke
    Free Member

Haven’t YT got a £400 off discount currently celebrating Gwinns success?. I had a Jeffsy it was very nice and a very versatile bike. Get one…now

renton
    Free Member

I’ve just re weighed my large codeine as I’ve made it tubeless.

Came out under 32 lbs.

poah
    Free Member

transition sentinal

gibbonarms
    Free Member

My large Codeine is 30.5lb with a ccdb air, reverb and pedals.

It’s a heavy frame, about a pound heavier than my large orange alpine five.

I’d stick with the codeine if you get on with the geometry and upgrade to carbon wheels and crank to shed some weight.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Codeine 29er vs Jeffsey (or similar) ?’ is closed to new replies.