Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Code RSCs and fade..
  • Premier Icon philstone

In the market for some new brakes as I’m fed up of the Shimano Wandering bite point feature…

I had some Guide RSC’s a few years ago when they first came out, which lasted about 3 runs in the French Alps before fading themselves out to cr*p.. How much more fade resistant are the Code RSC’s? Has anyone else had fade issues on the Guides and gone to Codes and had no issues?

Thanks

Premier Icon nickdavies

Hammer my guide rsc all over the alps big long descents and I don’t stop a lot. The only time I’ve ever had any issues is when I’ve been in need of bleeding them.

Ace brakes, best of the bunch imo. Run OEM pads and bleed them well and you shouldn’t suffer fade. Codes should fare a bit better but more expensive and heavier, and I don’t think it’s an issue with guides unless you’re really racing hard and long.

Premier Icon lewzz10

Strange you had issues after multiple runs in alps, if you’re going to overheat the brakes it’ll be during any run as I’d expect them to be back to ambient by the time you’ve got back to the top. Maybe a pad issue rather than brakes themselves? Or a bad bleed showing itself after repeated use. Rotor size has a big effect too, you’re not running 160s and expecting them to stay cool are you?

Not had experience with Guide or Code RSCs but had Guide Rs for a while, and despite their many other shortcomings I never had issues with them fading on uplifted riding. Going from everyone I know who has them though, Codes are excellent and have made the Guides/G2 pretty irrelevant unless you’re a weenie.

Premier Icon philstone

Nope, always on 200 rotors. I’m probably slightly harder on my rear brake than I should be, but its not been an issue for my Shimano brakes in the past.

Either way, still not convinced by Guides – one of my friends who is not slow at all – has also faded Guides out as well as having the piston bind once we got to the bottom of Les Arcs – he ended up taking the front wheel out and wheeling most of the way from the valley floor to the funi.. Once we got back up to 1600 it had sorted it self out.

Premier Icon joebristol

I’ve moved from Guide R’s to Code R’s and at first I thought there wasn’t a huge difference. Then I got back on my other bike that has Guides and they felt a bit weedy in comparison.

I’ve never been to the alps but I’ve used the Codes at BPW / Antur / coming down Snowdon etc and they’ve been nothing but consistent and confidence inspiring.

For the riding you describe I’d definitely go Codes not Guides.

Premier Icon edward2000
    Free Member

Using Code RSCs on my bike. Handled Verbier (which is very steep) with no fuss at all whilst the people who I was riding with all moaned about their Guide brakes. Only used Sram pads also.

Premier Icon nuke

Code RSC in Davos this year for a week with 2 other guys also on Code RSC. We were on a mix of SRAM pads & Superstar Kevlar. No issues at all, loads of power & no fade and we were doing a lot of descending!

Premier Icon razorrazoo
    Free Member

My Guide Rs lasted about 2 runs in the Alps before giving in. Bought an emergency set of Code Rs, which were consistently good for the rest of the trip. Guides were fine in the UK, but both shops I went in to ask about bleeding in Morzine said they’d do them but not to expect a change in performance as warm weather and long runs often caused problems with the internals. If my new bike doesn’t come with Codes I’ll be swapping the ones that I bought over.

Premier Icon ifindoubtflatout
    Free Member

I’m running Guide RS with Guide RE (Code) calipers….. No fade here. I find that if you need to keep on top of piston lubing with Sram brakes more than others…. But that gives me something to do on these dark nights.

Premier Icon TrailriderJim

I’ve ended up fitting Ultimate aluminium caliper pistons, floating rotors and Fibrax pads to my Guide Rs to fix the issues. Also filed down the plastic plunger mech in both levers. A lot of upgrading and could have just bought new brakes but love how accessible and fixable they are, compared with Shimano.

Premier Icon DickBarton

Never had problems with the Guide RS that I had (but didn’t go to Alps, but the brakes get used a fair bit.
    Now on Code RSC and they are excellent. 200mm rotor on front and a 180mm rear.

Premier Icon Hob Nob
    Free Member

No issues with Guides in the Alps but I’m not a big braker or dragged of them. Have some hybrid Codes these days & if you are managing to get them to fade, you probably need to learn to brake!

Premier Icon julians
    Free Member

I’ve got code rsc and they just don’t fade ever.

Every other brake I’ve had has faded when pushed hard on a big descent (alps, finale, madeira, malaga etc) but the codes are bullet proof. Others brakes I’ve used (and caused to fade) are hope e4, shimano xt, various avids, maguras.

Premier Icon philstone

Thanks to those who have gone from Guides to Codes – that’s really helpful.

As for those who suggest Guides are fine and need to learn to brake – possibly yes, but my friend who also had problems has top 5 Strava times on segments in Les Arcs – some of which are quicker than some EWS pro’s. Don’t think he needs to learn how to brake! 🙂

Premier Icon oikeith

I had Guide R’s to start with, found them great to start or right after a bleed but then they’d lose the nice feel over time. Then picked up some Guide RS levers, these felt nicer than the Guide R’s a more powerful and distinct bite point, but would suffer the same issues as the Guide R’s in going soft over time.

Picked up some Code RSC’s specifically as I was going to Morzine and didn’t want any issues with my brakes and they didnt skip a beat, I can tell the brakes got hot as my Ice Tech rotars have a heat marks on the amrs under the braking surface!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.