Cockpit help!

Home Forum Bike Forum Cockpit help!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Cockpit help!
  • halo25

After a bit of set up advice on my stereo – I rode a merida over the weekend (161) that was too small and loved the feel of it.

Getting back on the stereo finding its highlighting that I think I have a set up issue.

Basically I get the following symptoms;

• Twitchy – I seem to wander badly when going uphill
    • Difficult to pop front end up going down
    • Severe arm pump with numb little fingers!

The arm pump is the worst thing, I think I have a death grip which doesn’t help, but was quite relaxed on the Merida.

I have so far reduced the stem to a 50mm – bars are carbon Easton havens with a very small rise.

I was going to think about the following;

• Moving seat forward a little
    • Checking brakes for angle and moving them inboard a bit
    • Potential to go to a 20m rise bar?
    • Maybe reducing stem down to 30mm

Is there anything I should look for in particular – I am 6ft 2 if that helps!

I think the bars are 740mm as well, which feels ok but totally open to suggestions here as its getting really frustrating.

belugabob

Depending on the brake/shifter combination that you are using, you could try swapping the brake and shifters round, so that the brakes are nearer to the stem than the shifters.
    This positions the brake lever so that you only need to use one finger to operate them, leaving the others free to (more comfortably) grips the bars.
    It is a matter of preference, but it made a massive difference to me, so might be worth a try.

This, and tweaking the rotation angle of the brakes and shifters is simple (and free) to do

STATO

Twitchy – I seem to wander badly when going uphill

Maybe reducing stem down to 30mm

Yes, speeding up the steering is the way to stop twitchyness 🙄

Premier Icon stewartc
    Subscriber

Twitchy – I seem to wander badly when going uphill

Have you tried dropping the stem down one spacer, this certainly help me on my Mach6?

Severe arm pump with numb little fingers!

As above, I’d bet on that being due to the set-up of the controls rather than the fit of the bike.

halo25

@ STATO – The front end is wandering/twitchy UP not down, which feels like my elbows are locked out too much. When I get up off my seat heading down I can move forwards thus offsetting the problem.

Thanks others for the suggestions – will try that first see how I get on.

I think a riser bar is in order too – going to see if I can borrow a couple to try.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Cockpit help!’ is closed to new replies.