Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Cobblestones (Cobb content)
  • jaminb
    Free Member

Where do you buy them from?

GO Outdoors are restricted to one pack per person collection only

Amazon – £35 for 6 stones with postage

Everywhere else sold out

thanks

Kahurangi

link (i was intrigued and OP provided no context)

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15903925/cobb-cobblestones-x6-15903925

as they’re things to burn they might have limitation on postage hence the lack of online availability.

Drac

There seems to be a shortage this year. I’ve 2 boxes leftover from last year, the problem is I’ve no idea where they or the cobb are.

the-muffin-man

You are knackered basically – we used to sell Cobb BBQs at a company I worked for and if COBB GB haven’t got them in stock (which I see they haven’t) then nowhere has as they are the sole importers. You could try calling your local garden centres?

FuzzyWuzzy

Maybe try an Alternative

euain

Cobb claim they will be back in stock in September. They’ve been out of stock all summer. There seems to have been some interruption in the supply (I’m sure I read somewhere some approval/certification was needed) and that Amazon supplier seems to be the only one with them (and is charging 2-3x normal price).

There are a few others that look like Cobblestones but they have pretty rubbish reviews. I’ve been using old-school charcoal in my Cobb this year – it works OK but nothing like as convenient or fast as the Cobblestones.

I didn’t realise Go Outdoors had them.. might try to get hold of some.

In reply to the original question – I normally buy them from Lakeland (or their Amazon shop) but they don’t even appear on the site now.

Drac

The Australian heat beads are supposed to be pretty good.

convert

Do you need the ready in 2 mins aspect of the cobblestones for how your are using it. Got to confess I’ve gone off cobblestones unless they are really needed. A pain to light, seem to taste/smell a bit funky and blooming expensive even when not in short supply. 8 good quality briquettes work a treat. Those Australian heat beads things or any other good quality standard ones. Sure a bit messier and slower but a tiny fraction of the cost, and still have all the cool wall and flexibility of the Cobb. Not quite as hot too which to me give a bit more cooking control.

euain

Pain to light? I just hold a lighter to them for 10s and they catch – couple of minutes later the smoke stops and they’re good to go. Can’t see how it could be easier.

It’s always a good way to make friends when you have the bacon cooking 5 minutes after waking in the morning :).

I’ve been using heat beads over the summer (saving my last Cobblestone for when it’s needed). They work well enough and I’ll use a mixture depending on how fast we need the food when I can get some more.

jaminb
    Free Member

Thanks all – will give the Heatbeads ago but I am not sure I will get that charcoal flavour with coal!

If I am using normal charcoal – is there any point in using the Cobb oven over the BBQ (other than the cool wall)

convert

Pain to light? I just hold a lighter to them for 10s and they catch – couple of minutes later the smoke stops and they’re good to go. Can’t see how it could be easier.

Yep. Pain to light. They changed supplier 4 or 5 years ago because the old ones were proving almost impossible to light. More recent ones are better but still not as good as they used to be when it was first launched. A bit of a breeze and they are harder to light than they should be.

convert

Thanks all – will give the Heatbeads ago but I am not sure I will get that charcoal flavour with coal!

If I am using normal charcoal – is there any point in using the Cobb oven over the BBQ (other than the cool wall)

I ‘think’ heat beads are just charcoal. Cobblestones are made of coconut husks and an accelerant so more likely to taste good with the beads.

Still like the Cobb when used with briquettes. Particularly like using the most either with beer in to keep stuff moist or wrapped veggies that steam there.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Cobb claim they will be back in stock in September.

I bought a Cobb after recommendations on here (from G.O.) & the guy said they wouldn’t have any stones in till at least September.

8 good quality briquettes work a treat.

This. I’m only using the Cobb when away in the tin tent anyway & ain’t in a hurry to get tea ready!
    Got 10 mackerel off Seaham pier the other week & oak smoked them on the Cobb using 5 briquettes, I just sat & savoured the smell while having beers. Lovely.
    I’m happy enough not to even bother with Cobblestones.

Drac

Heat beads aren’t just charcoal they’re a combination of fuels so they burn hotter and longer.

andyl
    Free Member

Made from Coconut husk

Surely can’t be sustainable having to import them?

ElShalimo

Try BBQworld.co.uk for those Heat Beads – they are very good.

We bought Cobblestones from them a while ago but from memory the last set we got was from Lakeland.co.uk

euain

Revisiting this to say Cobblestones appear to be back in stock at Cobb. Hopefully I have some on the way 🙂

Fill your boots…

jaminb
    Free Member

thanks Euain – 3 twin packs at £87 seems a little excessive but free postage!

nealglover
    Free Member

It’s not 3 twin packs.
    It’s it’s 3 x the two packs of 6 option.
    36 stones in total
    £2.40 each ?

spooky_b329

Andyl, I know your comment was a few months ago, but importing a waste product as cobblestones, versus charcoal of which independent testing shows a lot of it is derived from tropical/sub-tropical species of tree, also imported into the EU. I’d rather import husk than import charcoal if I had doubts that I was supporting deforestation.

The big plus of the cobblestones for me is I can light my Cobb at the same time as friends light a traditional BBQ, stick a big joint of meat in there, and it’s normally fully cooked in the time it takes for the traditional to light, die down and then cook the usual BBQ food.

jaminb
    Free Member

sorry not the price seamed excessive – the quantity I have ordered!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Cobblestones (Cobb content)’ is closed to new replies.