Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • CO2 safe sealant?
  • ratherbeintobago

What’s the recommended sealant that doesn’t knacker with CO2, or is this a unicorn style issue?

jaketurbo
    Free Member

The muc off stuff is supposedly co2 friendly. Smells alright. No idea how it does with punctures.

Stay away from anything branded ‘Peatys’. Not because it is not co2 friendly… Just because it is shit.

hatter

I use Finishline for this reason, works well but you do need to use a bit more than you would with a latex based sealant like stans as its thicker and you need more to properly coat the tyre.

It also washes off stuff really easily rather than leaving you picked off dried up latex for hours.

I know some people dont rate it but so far it’s been great for me, instantly fixed a hole in a 90 psi road tyre last weekend, very impressed.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    molgrips
    Free Member

Never had an issue with Stan’s and CO2. You have the valve at the top when inflating, no?

ratherbeintobago

I though it was meant to react and go hard?

Haze

Don’t use CO2 so much these days, but when I did I had no issues with either Stans or Orange.

barnun
    Free Member

Joes is co2 friendly, and usually cheap!

hamishthecat

I’m not convinced it’s the CO2 but rather the cold if you don’t inflate with the valve at the top, away from the goop.

I can’t really see what the reaction would be between CO2 and latex.

whitestone
    Free Member

@hamishthecat +1

Probably thermal shock affecting the sealant from the rapidly expanding CO2. A search reveals it may also be due to the dryness of the CO2 affecting the sealant.

hatter

Yes, it’s the rapid cooling rather than the CO2 itself. Accelerates the formation of ‘stanimals’ in latex sealant.

Using a Dynaplug Air system now so better to use something non-latex based if possible.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘CO2 safe sealant?’ is closed to new replies.