Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Clyde Walkway – New Lanark to Strathclyde Park
  • perchypanther
    Free Member

Anybody ridden this on a bike recently?

I ride down in the Clyde Valley a fair bit but have never actually ventured along the Clyde Walkway for any great distance beyond the Garrion Bridge.

Having watched Countryfile on telly last night ( which was all about the Clyde Valley) it occurred to me that taking the bike on the train to Lanark and riding back along the Clyde Walkway might be a nice, pleasant wee bimble.

Any unrideable bits? Is it worth the train fare?

Any thoughts appreciated….

festivebonce
    Free Member

I rode this about a month ago – on my ‘gravel bike’ – from Partick. Quite a few wooden walkways and lots of steps – that I had to walk – as you approach the end. The majority of the route is flat. It was very steep and boggy in places however – think they had recently re route around some private property. The route marking is poor the further south
    a you go. I lost the route near Motherwell and had to ride through some very ‘unscenic’ potholed streets. Major roadworks about halfway meant you cannot ride into Strathclyde Park from Partick – unless that’s all finished now. They have a minibus you can phone to take you and the bike round the dual carriageway roundabout thing – for free.

It was quite adventure overall – but I wouldn’t ride it again. I would suggest an adventure bike or short travel hardtail. Train home was about fifteen quid I think.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Only planning on doing the Lanark to Motherwell bit …. i’ve seen enough of urban Glasgow to last me a lifetime.

Hardtail or, more likely, fatbike.

Sanny
    Free Member

Well worth doing. I’ve ridden it on both my cross bike and the fat bike. The Raith inter change works is a pain in the butt and has been for some time.

At Motherwell, the signage is vague but riding back from Lanark, you should find navigation easy.

You could add in Tinto Hill if you want to have a hill added to the mix. 😀

Cheers

perchypanther
    Free Member

Thanks

Just looking for a wee change for a quick hour or two from home instead of riding round in circles from the door.

I can jump on a train to Lanark from Wishaw for a couple of quid and be there in 20 minutes and I reckon the 15 or so miles back should only take 1 and a half hours-ish .

Ideal for a sunny summers evening.

iainc

don’t forget your bucky carryoot 🙂

perchypanther
    Free Member

That’ll be getting tanned on the train. 😆

Once pissed, I’ll be able to fall off my bike with panache thus emulating one of my MTB idols…….

I will wear elbow and knee pads for safety obviously.

iainc

😆

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Clyde Walkway – New Lanark to Strathclyde Park’ is closed to new replies.