clutch mech with 9 speed – does it really work?

Home Forum Bike Forum clutch mech with 9 speed – does it really work?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • clutch mech with 9 speed – does it really work?
  • passtherizla

got a mate using a 10 speed zee mech on a 9 speed cassette using x5 9 speed shifter.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

Every post sounds like it’s possible but you need the right combo (SRAM/Shimano highbred?) if you start chasing that you could be better off with a new drivetrain if you shop around.
    Still lost the chain with a SRAM type 2 over the weekend though, they are not magic just a bit better.

scruff

Sram 9spd shifter, Shimano 10spd clutch+ mech with a 5.5-6mm spacer under the cable. Its on my DH bike and works very well. Not as crisp shifting as all new matching kit but pretty good considering its a fudge. Getting bang on would involve getting the spacer perfect thickness.

http://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=148662

AndyPaice

I want to run a clutch mech on my 9 speed set up as there’s plenty left in the drive train and I can’t fit a chain device easily.

I’ve done a google search on it and lots of conflicting answers come up. Also tried searching on here and just get classifieds.

I have 9 speed sram shifters and Ideally would like to use a sram x9 mech so it’s compatible if I do move up to full 10 speed set up.
    Some reports suggest that a 10 spd shimano mech works with a spacer block on the cable clamp.

Anyone got a definite answer on this?

ta

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

I’ve got 3 bikes set up with X9 9-speed shifters and assorted Shimano 10-speed rear mechs, with the addition of a wee 6mm spacer I machined up . Works a charm- very positive/chunky shifts which you might or might not like, feels almost exactly like 10-speed Saint in fact. But works perfectly.

This is the only variant I know to work. Some folks on teh internets claim it works fine without the spacer, but I tried that, it doesn’t- I guess if you’re used to terrible shifting, skipping gears it might seem alright.

Some folks also say 10-speed SRAM on 9-speed SRAM works fine. I doubt that very much, never seen it actually done, it’s always “I heard” or “a mate”.

scruff

Only problem I had was stopping the cable / spacer twisting when tightening it up. I filed a little groove in the (6mm) spacer which helped but still used needle nose pliers to hold the spacer straight.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

If you make the spacer a 12mm x12mm square, it’ll sit perfectly on the mech and doesn’t twist. Yep, groove is needed to get it to work cleanly. Basically all about replicating the original setup.

Mind you, all you actually need is a wee stack of washers but it depends what you’re happy with. I wanted OEM function basically.

passtherizla

I even have a picture, admittedly its a bad picture.

[/url] Untitled by passtherizla, on Flickr[/img]

sam123

I got this working great with no spacers etc.

I’m running x7 shifter which is probably from about 2010, zee rear mech and a 11-32 cassette.

Shifts perfectly and its actually better than the x9 derailuer it replaced

Premier Icon Speeder
    Subscriber

It works no problem but is better with a spacer.

Premier Icon hot_fiat
    Subscriber

Where does the spacer go? Got any piccies?

Forget that I used google.

AndyPaice

thanks for the replies 🙂

I’ve got x7 shifters and an XT 11-34 cassette I think. Would the zee mech work with 22/36 up front and the 11-34 cassette? Zee cage looks very short even on the 11-34 specific model. Are the Zee mechs single front ring only?

sam123

Yeah, Zee is single ring only. You will be better of with an SLX or XT if you want to run dual rings

AndyPaice

Thanks for the help guys, got an SLX med cage clutch mech and with a 5.7mm spacer it’s working very nicely with my x7 shifters 🙂 Chain retention and noise is a lot better than with the X9 standard mech.

You can feel the lever on the shifter is noticably ‘heavier’ with the clutch engaged but very accurate changes and no chain slap

I butchered a shimano 160mm rear brake mount for the spacer as the mech clamp bolt fits perfectly through the bolt hole in the mech adaptor without engaging the threads. only a little filing needed to get it the correct thickness and dimensions.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘clutch mech with 9 speed – does it really work?’ is closed to new replies.