• This topic has 12 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by GEDA.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Clutch Mech Problems
  • RealMan
    Free Member

Got an XT clutch mech that has been great, but all of a sudden the switch didn’t do anything (it was really easy to turn between the on and off positions, and didn’t affect the tension at all).

I took it apart and tightened up the tension screw thing as tight as it would go, and now there is resistance switching the clutch switch to the on position, but still there’s no more tension in the mech than that of a normal mech.

It looks to me like the band that goes around the clutch isn’t actually providing any friction, even when tightened by the cam thing. Had a look on the internet but can’t find anything similar, it seems quite weird.

Mech still works perfectly as a normal mech, but it’s just really annoying to have to go back to the noise of chain slap, so would really appreciate any ideas.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Clean and grease the clutch

RealMan
    Free Member

Tried that, no real difference. I think there’s a tiny bit more resistance with the switch in the on position, but nothing like it should be.

robarnold
    Free Member

Same issue with an XTR, just had it replaced under warranty by Madison

RealMan
    Free Member

Just found out what was wrong, it was the tiny metal bit that adjusts the tension had sheared at a corner behind the clutch (so tricky to notice).

passtherizla
    Free Member

Does that mean a warranty job?

jonk

My XT has recently done the same – the small metal cage has broken and i need to take it back to the shop as the bike is only 5 months old.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Haha bizarre mine has done exactly the same tonight freakish! The cam has just literally shearded off the backin it was attached too

My xtr one previous run mint for 2 full years before selling for a medium cage xt one, 5 weeks in and out of no where this happens

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

Anyone having problems with the Sram clutch mechs or is it just the superior, better designed, better made, more reliable Shimano stuff that’s falling apart?

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

kimbers – Member
    biscuit powered……..

http://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-shifters-derailleurs-cranks/x-9-type-2-derailleur-problems-807541.html

Quickly skimmed that and I think it’s just some people wrecking their drivetrain by using the wrong cage length or chain length.

I’ve got no axe to grind, I have Sram X9 on one bike and Shimano XT/XTR on the other and there’s nothing really to choose between them. Just tired of Shimano fanbois everywhere and thought I’d put the cat amongst the pigeons a bit (OK, some might call it ‘trolling’)

patriotpro
    Free Member

I’ve had SRAM and Shimano and prefer the functionality of SRAM on some stuff and Shimano with others.

Shimano lasts better than SRAM though ime…

GEDA
    Free Member

The really thin bit of metal that tensions everything up does seem to be a bad design. I fixed mine by packing the space behind the cam with bits of plastic.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Clutch Mech Problems’ is closed to new replies.