Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Clutch failed on SRAM mech, easy fix ?
  • kimbers

My NX mech has gone all floppy

Worth trying to fix or do I just warranty it & sell replacement to buy shimano?

Was new on bike 11months ago, was hoping that SRAM would prove me wrong as I like the operation, but every SRAM mech dies on me , this one’s not even been ridden that hard.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Replace with a  GX11? Had great life out of mine.

But if it’s in warranty just get it swapped out, doubt it will shift for much 2nd hand

SirHC

Send it back, see what they say.

The 11 speed mechs had an adjustable clutch after a bit of modification, shame it infringed on shimano’s patent.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

SRAM Bullshit Bingo!

Had my GX 11sp for 3 years no problems 3000+miles – still got an old 9sp XO that is 10yrs old still works fine and a 4 yo XO 10spd so either you are v unlucky or you twatted it off something.

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

all floppy

Doesn’t sound good.

My Shimano stuff: three small bolts keep a small plastic cover in place. I take this cover off every 6 months or so and slap some pm600 grease onto the mechanism.

The is a small adjustment screw … very small rotations have a huge effect. On my 150/150 bike I added more friction this way. With Shimano: better keep the clutch ON when having the plastic cover off. Otherwise the stuff / clutch parts might fall off… – appears that the plastic cover keeps the stuff in place when the clutch is “open”.

NX similar?

No idea – but guess so.

escrs
    Free Member

Sram 2.1 clutch mechs are not adjustable, the earlier 2.0 ones were but Sram changed the design

More info here

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/sram-type-21-clutch-adjustment/

My last GX clutch lost some of the clutch resistance after a year and kept dropping chains, bought a new one and compared how the new felt against the old as was surprised by how much the old one had worn

My shimano Deore 10 speed clutch mech on my hybrid is great, fully adjustable which Ive had to do once in 3 years

SirHC

They are adjustable once you’ve pulled the pin out

GIve the torx key a nudge backwards and forwards, use a pair of flush cuts to pull the pin out. Done a couple of dozen mechs now!

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

My shimano Deore 10 speed clutch mech on my hybrid is great, fully adjustable which Ive had to do once in 3 years

Bit of sidetrack… but bang for the buck and quality of deore m6000 stuff is hard to beat.

kimbers

I couldn’t find any pin ?

It’s a type 3

Anyway spoke to shop, they are going to sort ASAP ( tho I guess depends on SRAM as to time)

Curse you SRAM wanted to try out my new wheels!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Clutch failed on SRAM mech, easy fix ?’ is closed to new replies.