Viewing 14 posts - 81 through 94 (of 94 total)
  • club politics when it gets personal – UPDATE
  • surfer
    Free Member

Its quite disappointing the general “whats in it for me” attitude of many rather than “what can I give back”
    As per my previous post clubs can be a bit like taxation. As an older member I am too old to change so dont get benefits from coaching (much) and I seldom need transport or help with entry fees etc but I do occasionally help those that do and I am at the top end of the subscriptions scale so I pay the most. This means kids and those less well off can benefit from reduced subs

Instead of thinking up innovative ways to bypass paying club subs maybe you should think about supporting the sport you all love so much and helping clubs to increase participation and access.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Surfer, half the posts here aren’t self serving, they’re questioning whether club membership is required to increase participation. Politics, elitism, cliques all exist in (some) clubs and serve to deter new members. After a 20 year hiatus I’ve returned to road riding. Everything I’ve heard about the local club (and being totally blanked by an entire group when riding in opposite direction) reinforces all my negative stereotypes of road clubs, so I haven’t joined and ride alone or with a couple of like minded mates. Accessible is exactly what they don’t appear to be.

surfer
    Free Member

Surfer, half the posts here aren’t self serving,

I was referring to the other half

they’re questioning whether club membership is required to increase participation

I dont know if many are interested in increasing “participation” more how can I get what I want without joining a club.
    I would never tell anyone to join a club and fortunately for me I dont need to be in one as running requires little infrastructure however I want the next generation to enjoy the support/coaching and camaraderie that I have enjoyed. Clubs got most sports to the participation level that we see know we should support them and work to rid them of some of the personalities that we all agree should be barred!

Sue_W
    Free Member

Surfer +1

Clubs certainly present their challenges but also have many benefits. Sometimes it reminds me of an extended family – occasional rows, some personalities that are a bit ‘challenging’, but a huge amount of support and activities.

Do we need clubs? Personally, I think yes. When I started road cycling I’d see lots of others out riding, but stopping them in the road to say ‘hi, can I join you for a ride’ would have been a bit weird! Being part of an established club means that I have access to a regular group ride (at a level which suits me), a whole range of events from TT’s, to races, to Audaxes, support, encouragement, advice, and lots of friendly banter (plus I now know where all the best cafes are 🙂 )

But I also now give back a lot – I organise the regular intermediate Saturday rides, promote women’s cycling opportunities, volunteer to marshal at club TT’s and races, and for my sins am on the club committee.

Could all that happen without a club? No. Are clubs perfect? No. But they are a great way of providing a massive amount to the cycling community, are open to all (you don’t have to be someone’s mate to know what’s going on and take part), and are fun, friendly places.

Just remember to give as well as to take 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

pjt201 – Member

@clubber

Hmm, I find the club you talk of to be entirely unfriendly and the committee (all two of them who have access to the club group email) to be entirely self serving. Also the kit is gopping nah, not really!

😉

Your subs have just gone up by a factor of 10x. That’ll learn you…

surfer
    Free Member

I organise the regular intermediate Saturday rides, promote women’s cycling opportunities, volunteer to marshal at club TT’s and races, and for my sins am on the club committee.

I am in awe 😯

D0NK

Instead of thinking up innovative ways to bypass paying club subs

Not sure if I was included in that, but I wasn’t doing that, someone seemed to suggest that clubs effectively were the gatekeepers of racing and I was questioning it. Sounds like it isn’t the case. I think from the start my posts were broadly positive about clubs.

Sue_W
    Free Member

surfer – I don’t do much, there are many, many people who put a lot more into the club than I do, especially all of the ‘boring’ behind-the-scenes stuff – everything from admin to risk assessments for TT’s etc etc!

If nothing else, I am now far more aware of the huge contribution a minority of club members make so that the majority of us can enjoy riding our bikes 🙂

Sometimes it does get a bit difficult when so many people join the club and think that paying a few quid ‘entitles’ them to have everything then provided without any help from them. Getting volunteers to help with events can sometimes a be a bit like trying to get blood out of a stone! But anyone who does volunteer usually finds it really enjoyable, and certainly builds friendships within the club.

surfer
    Free Member

Not sure if I was included in that, but I wasn’t doing that, someone seemed to suggest that clubs effectively were the gatekeepers of racing and I was questioning it. Sounds like it isn’t the case. I think from the start my posts were broadly positive about clubs

No DONK I wasnt having a pop at you.

I did suggest that clubs were extremely important in running as there are a number of events that are more easily accesible via clubs such as regional cross country races then the Northern/inter counties and National XC races. I am not sure if the last few are club only but given that they only exist due to the hard work of those clubs that organise and marshal at them then they should be.
    Certain road relays (which are some of the most competitive events in the calendar) are club only however you can turn up a couple of times a year in Sutton park and see some the greatest athletes in the world rubbing shoulders with old club members like me then thats a great thing in my book.

stever
    Free Member

In my other sport, running, I did my own thing for years before taking the plunge. I thought I was unclubbable, but can honestly say that I’ve got involved in all sorts of stuff I wouldn’t otherwise have done, made some good friends and had a blast. Some of my favourite things are better in a club – internal champs, cross country leagues (you can run as a guest), British fell relays, etc. Organising a race takes a bit of time, but when you see 2000 people excited on the start line and elated/knackered at the finish, it’s nice to have been a part of it.

surfer
    Free Member

Getting volunteers to help with events can sometimes a be a bit like trying to get blood out of a stone!

I was the Vets captain for a few years and gave up out of frustration. I dont have the patience.

fasthaggis

If nothing else, I am now far more aware of the huge contribution a minority of club members make so that the majority of us can enjoy riding our bikes

Absolutely Sue 🙂

Once you have organised or helped run a race you really appreciate how much goes on behind the scenes when you do an event.

pjt201
    Free Member

Your subs have just gone up by a factor of 10x. That’ll learn you…

Not sure I can afford that, might have to tender my resignation…

Oh, and I take part of it back. The kit is a bit gopping, but then I always thought that was partly the point of it…

clubber
    Free Member

It’s hard to take yourself too seriously while wearing it – that was definitely deliberate…

Viewing 14 posts - 81 through 94 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘club politics when it gets personal – UPDATE’ is closed to new replies.