Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Cloud based team software
  • Cletus

Hi,

I work in a small team of geographically dispersed people and want to find some way of sharing information and files with colleagues.

Our company does not provide anything suitable – their solution is Sharepoint which is only available when in the office or via PC based VPN. My issue with this is that I often cannot access the VPN from customers sites (or where I can have to disconnect my PC from what I am working on and so cannot see content and work at the same time). Also not being able to access the content via phone/tablet is frustrating.

I have been told that I can look for a cloud based solution as long as it is cheap (preferably free).

The key requirements are:

Access from a range of devices including Windows, iThings, Android
    Support for structured content – e.g.

Products
    Product A
    Install Notes
    Test Docs
    Guides
    Product B
    Install Notes
    Test Docs
    Guides

Ability to author content in web format – templates would be ideal so no formatting required
    Ability to attach files to web pages
    Comprehensive search facilities
    Ability to view new content when logging on
    Ability to back up content from cloud

There are lots of services that do some of this but the structured web page content seems a bit of a stumbling block.

Any suggestions would be welcome. I really want something straightforward and easy to use with the key features listed above.

Thanks

kcal

wiki?

Cletus

Thanks – a wiki lacks the structured content as far as I know.

Services I have looked at so far include Google Sites, Drive and Box.

None of these quite fit the bill.

allthegear
    Free Member

Sounds like Drupal Commons (https://drupal.org/project/commons) to me. Would install on most cloud environments.

Might be persuaded to help configure/extend/install…

Rachel

Cletus

Thanks Rachel,

I will check out Drupal and maybe create a test site at drupalgardens.com

I have done some basic HTML/CSS stuff so hopefully I can get the hang of it.

Are there any more recommendations? – Drupal looks useful but I was hoping for something already set up for team interaction.

woody2000
    allthegear
    Free Member

Cletus – The specific “distribution” of Drupal, called Drupal Commons contains most of the things I believe you require and you just need to add new content type to match what you need.

Not sure if you can spin up a specific distribution on gardens. (I probably should, a friend helped create it…)

If not, also think about doing it on getpantheon.com.

Rachel

cbike
    Free Member

Zoho have some collaboration apps? https://www.zoho.com/

vings
    Free Member

I’m not entirely what you mean by “Ability to author content in web format” or “Ability to attach files to web pages” You might want to explore those use case a little further, but I would have thought Google drive fits the bill pretty much perfectly. Alternatively you might want to look at Confluence. https://www.atlassian.com/software/confluence

richardk
    Free Member
    bonchance
    Free Member

‘Move’ Corp Sharepoint to cloud/365?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Cloud based team software’ is closed to new replies.