Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Clothing for the ‘larger’ cyclist
  • toby1

I’ve started commuting again since October, a lot of my old commute stuff that fits is knackered and needs replacement. A lot of it is Endura for reference size XL.

I’m not slim by any means, but I’m also not vastly overweight. I have fairly large shoulders and round chest, as a result I can’t find much that fits, I’ve tried some Endura and DHB stuff, I went to an Evans the other day and tried some bits on, Everything was just too small to be useful.

I’m looking for a long sleeve jersey for the winter months, something with some reflectivity, but not totally un-breathable as I run warm.

Any good options?

rene59
    Free Member

If you have a Decathlon nearby I’d give them a try. They have a fair range of sizes, especially at the budget end.

somouk
    Free Member

I’m a similar size to you, I’d normally wear XL/XXL and find most of the cycle clothing too tight in XL. Decathlon is a good shout for this sort of stuff or just pop to go outdoors and wear walking gear instead of cycling stuff.

Normally good for wicking a much larger choice.

slowpuncheur
    Free Member
    hypnonewt
    Free Member

Fat Lad At The Back stuff and Funkier clothing come in a range of sizes for bigger guys.

ton

fat lad at the back stuff is terrible stuff. bought stuff in the past and sent back.

I now use outdoor clothing rather than cycling clothing.

Columbia have a big bloke section and it is cracking quality.

Keela also do some good stuff.

jimdubleyou

fat lad at the back stuff is terrible stuff.

I have a couple of their Jacksy jerseys. Usually just wear that over a base layer in the winter and it’s warm enough.

The latest pair of bib shorts I have, I haven’t got on with, but last year’s cut was good.

They had 30% off for Black Friday, which made prices more reasonable.

Have a look at Tenn aswell – they do some of their stuff in bigger sizes. The quality and prices are a lot lower than fat lad.

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

Didn’t know about FLATB quality issues. Galibier are good value, decent cut and do up to XXXL for some things.

kilo

+1 galibier

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Decathlon, not necessarily in the cycle range either

MoreCashThanDash

I’m a brand ambassador for FLAB so obviously biased….not aware of any generic quality issues, returns usually handled well. What I’ve used lasts well.

Pre-flab I found Decathlon, Altura and Polaris pretty good and true to advertised size.

I like the look of Galibier stuff but need to go a couple of sizes to be comfy!

toby1

https://fatladattheback.com/

Thought you were just taking the p*** initially! Thanks for the feedback guys, I’ll take a look at these, there is a Decathlon and for some reason I hadn’t even thought of it as an option!

ton

I’m a brand ambassador for FLAB so obviously biased….not aware of any generic quality issues, returns usually handled well. What I’ve used lasts well.

what I said was, it is terrible.

which is what I found when I ordered.

1 jacket that cost £100 was the same as a £25 softshell from tool station.

another £75 jacket tore when I used the zip to fasten the jacket for the first time.

twice bitten and all that.

aP
    Free Member

For regular commuting (5-15 miles) I quite often just lightweight stretch wear jeans, a uniqlo heat-tech t-shirt and something like an odlo button up walking shirt.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Speaking from experience:  (I got fairly massive thru forced inactivity + potato addiction + bread addiction.  It’s unglamorous compared to hoke and cookers but what can I say?)

(Mountain/any) biking happened in XL Endura Humvees with bib shorts under. XL Tee on top or XL tee on top plus hooded sweater if cold.  It worked. For a while.  But then I got down to Large size Humvees.  And stupidly, proudly, chucked the XLs.  But then I was injured again and put an inch on.  Now I can’t fit in the Large. They only have a little stretch.

Then MIL a few Xmases back inexplicably buys me a Sheffield Weds onesie.  I dont follow football.  I dont live in Sheffield.  I don’t particularly like Wednesdays.  Xmas Bingo achieved!

Nonetheless (and not to stare a gift ‘oss in the vizog) –  turned out it’s massively comfortable and so I rode in it one night for a hoot.  Funnily enough the embroidered logo does have an owl on it.  Hoot.  Thanks MIL.

*Model for illustration only, bearing no resemblance to either self or owl.  It also looks far less Hobbittish in real life.

Anyway, the wednesdayonesie is an amazing experience.  There may be no going back.  If it gets too warm then you just drop the zip to wherever above navel is suitable.  Dont go below navel.  We are a conservative society of late.  Be safe.  Be warm, be happy. But most of all be mindful.

scud
    Free Member

I have a FLAB jersey and it has been the best fitting, best wearing jersey i own, especially as they do actual chest sizes, not just XL or XXL. Plus the arms actually fit, lots of road jerseys seem to think despite the fact you may be XL, that for some reason you still have skinny arms

A weird advantage of it is that i swear cars give me a wider birth as they see the big FLAB logo on back, take time to read it and don’t think of you as one of those “serious roadies”.

For commuting i have always found the Altura Night Vision bits good and hard wearing and the best decently price winter jersey is an Endura Roubaix.

I suffer with being rugby lad shaped, so short legs and big thighs and always struggle to find shorts that if you wear XXL don’t think you must be 6’8″, the best i have found for shorts are Sportful.

MSP

American manufacturers tend to size larger than European, and Pearl izumi tend to size larger than most.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Have bought a few items from FLAB and sent every one back ! … even though it keeps going on about measuring etc before ordering which i did , ordered the correct sizes according to their site and still sent them back as the tops were like a second skin and im not a massive bloke , just a little round 🙂

maybe im just not the right shape of fat to fit their clothes ?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Good point from MSP above. Altura do (or at least used to in my last stint in the trade) a lot of good mid range stuff up to XXL

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Polaris is my go-to brand now, their MTB shorts are particularly good. Well-sized and bloody well made. I’ve had one pair for four years now and I’m a serial shorts-killer.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Clothing for the ‘larger’ cyclist’ is closed to new replies.