• This topic has 25 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by DrJ.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Clothes for off the bike
  • SaxonRider

On a day-to-day basis, I pretty much have a ‘uniform’, but when I get to wear what I want, I like things to fit properly. I’m 5’10” and about 79kgs.

As it is, I have a hoodie that I bought in Lidl last year that is very well-cut: it’s slim fitting and a bit longer in the torso bit, and was made to look like an Etixx Quickstep team fan hoodie.

Barring the ‘fan’ look, where can I get slimmer fitting tops, and decent jeans (or other trousers) that fit well for the middle-aged cycling man?

Any particular outlets? Labels?

Suggest away.

dmck16
    Free Member

Middle aged man = Jacamo

thestabiliser
    Free Member

I think most on here get their elasticated action slacks from the back of the Express on Sunday magazine

redstripe
    Free Member

Man at Primani

SaxonRider

But are they 100% polyester?

Slightly more serious answers also welcome.

redstripe
    Free Member

STW answer for clothing for the ‘active’ middle age bloke who doesn’t want to break the bank – Decathlon

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

John Lewis. Ordered online and delivered directly to your local Waitrose just in time to collect some craft beers for the weekend.

nerd
    Free Member

Trousers: GAP. Especially jeans. Lots of different fits, leg lengths and waists in 2 inch increments and lots of combinations 28W, 34L for example. Decent quality. Also lots of “khakis” (chinos) and other stuff occasionally – I have a nice pair of half lined wool mix trousers for work that are great in winter.

I’m not quite middle aged, though 🙂

nickc

Howies?

grahamt1980

Howies for slim fit tops, finisterre are good too.
    Otherwise fat Face are good

jam-bo

Fat face jeans are ok but only at their pretty regular sale prices.

CountZero

Uniqlo. Loads of well designed, understated tops and bottoms in many styles, their selvedge Japanese denim jeans are outstanding for the money, no silly stitching or anything, although you can get them with bits worn through if you’re too lazy to let them wear naturally.
    https://www.uniqlo.com/uk/en/men

lunge

How “outdoorsy” are we talking here? My entire casual wardrobe is either H&M or bargains from TK Maxx. The former work as their fit is a slimmer than most and my 6’4″, 84kg frame looks not good in normal L/XL clothing.

If not, Decathlon as above, but the fit is very hit and miss.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Zara

beej

I seem to keep buying stuff in Animal. I’m slightly ashamed but justify it as they support Martyn Ashton.

aP
    Free Member

Try Universal Works.

geoffj

Markies obvs
    /thread

‘Slim fit’ my arse!

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I think the right answer is shops, as in go to your local big town/city wander around, browse, try stuff on and buy what you think suits you.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Rap………………..

cheekyboy
    Free Member

ARCO do some fairly robust threads………..so Iam told 😉

1-shed
    Free Member

You haven’t given us much to go on but if you go shopping with a list of what you need you should come back with clothes you like. Buy simpler styles in a limited range of colours. But be prepared to spend a bit more than lidl prices.I do well from Levis, Carhartt, Nicole Farhi and Ralph Lauren. I do get them in sales, outlets and buy from TKMAX. Have a look at the hip store in Leeds website lots of quality casual wear and 50% off at the moment. Happy shopping 1 shed.

slowoldman

Hebtroco of course.

andykirk
    Free Member

Bring back Man at C&A. Bestest cheapest clothes everer.

LeeW

Universal Works stuff is ok, I personally think it’s a bit too short and I have some of their jeans which are ok, but a little old fashioned in their cut – come up quite high at the front.

Get yourself down to TK Maxx, buy what fits your figure, you style and your pocket. I bought some RL Polo shirts from the Merry Hill one a few weeks ago for £40 each, exact same thing was double from a store not 100ft away. They were nice colours too rather than the bright yellows and oranges you normally get in there on sale.

there used to be a bike type brand called Carbonaut, I picked up some of their gear a couple of years ago, lasted well and fits well but I can’t seem to find it any longer.

I think it maybe one of Sportpursuit’s* own brand labels which fell off the radar.

*Guessing they have their own brands but there does seem to be a couple of brands of cycling gear you can only get through them.

funkmasterp

Washing lines?

DrJ

I think the right answer is shops, as in go to your local big town/city wander around, browse, try stuff on and buy what you think suits you.

That’s the route to anarchy. Imagine if everyone went around with that sort of attitude !

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Clothes for off the bike’ is closed to new replies.