Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Closure of another important museum. The Durham Light Infantry.
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/durham-light-infantry-museum-set-10306466

The museum, in Aykley Heads, Durham, will close but the collection will go on show at Palace Green Library from next year

Err, no it won’t cos the Palace Green library is nowhere near big enough. Most stuff could be stored in some warehouse in Spennymoor apparently.
    There’s a big uproar about it but the council aren’t budging & I reckon there’ll some dodginess involved regarding the land it stands on.

Drac

Bede’s world is closed now too.

midlifecrashes

Aren’t Durham council trying to clear out all of Aykley Heads to redevelop the lot? My brother did his police training up there.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Aren’t Durham council trying to clear out all of Aykley Heads to redevelop the lot? My brother did his police training up there.

Aykley Heads covers a big area, from the police HQ through the County Hall down to the railway line. The council have just said It’s for financial reasons, they typically don’t give a monkeys about anything but £££’s, including the history of soldiers who serves & died with the DLI. (Including my Grandad)
    They’ll be looking after their own interests that’s for sure.

project
    Free Member

Things us the public want, like free healthcare, libraries, subsidised bus services, and museums are all being cut or closeed, but then again quite a few misguided people voted for this lot to cut and cut some more.

butcher

Quite surprised at that!

Things us the public want, like free healthcare, libraries, subsidised bus services, and museums are all being cut or closeed, but then again quite a few misguided people voted for this lot to cut and cut some more.

Can’t disagree with that. I can appreciate why people think cuts need to be made, but we’re cutting things important to our development, investments for our future, and they’ll cost a shit load more to be replaced once gone.

Riksbar

This is Lancashire, but the same story.
    More closures

rob2
    Free Member

Nooooooooooooo

I used to go there all the time when I was young (up to 8) and climb on the tanks. Sad days

postierich
    Free Member

Close to my heart this being an ex 2LI soldier read the article in the Guardian makes my piss boil!!!
    60 million on a friggin foot bridge

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

You ex DLI Rich??

postierich
    Free Member

2LI recruited mainly from Yorkshire/Durham I,m old but not that old 🙂
    reading it sounds like it needs to move dwindling numbers!

project
    Free Member

Birkenhead town hall converted to a museum , now closed,

Museum of labour history liverpool closed,

Grasshopper steam beam engine, Birkenhead, closed,

Woodside ferry terminal Birkenhead to close, oldest ferry terminal in the uk,

Williamson art Gallery Wirral on notice of closure,

Conservation centre, liverpool museum closed,

and many more, all ireplaceable, most now or soon to be empty buildings

redthunder
    Free Member

My dad was in the DLI then went into the SCLI.

I’m sure will niggle him when I tell him tomorrow.

dli info

And some slight info….

http://britisharmedforces.org/scli_%20pages/index.php

righog
    Free Member

9th Richest country in the world in 2015 according to GDP.

Why can’t we keep the heritage of the working class alive, I wonder ?

richest countries

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

It would seem that a lot of local authorities of this country are callous, unemotional & detached to the feelings & wishes of their local people. No shit Sherlock eh?

project
    Free Member

Think of it as deliberate destruction of working class history as most museums are dedicated to the working man and what we achieved in the past.

Yet art galleries seem to somehow survive the cull,along with councillors and mp,s.

This lot want the kids uneducated about the past, and place the working man and woman had in the development of uk plc.

Where as in the past museums and libraries where set up by wealthy people and councils to EDUCATE the working clases

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

My grandad was in the DLI in ww2 Normandy to Germany – they have been forgotten… it’s disgraceful but never mind Beamish “victorian disneyland” museums still up the road

totalshell

very quietly but at the next general election there will be 50 fewer seats up for grabs.. so thats 50 less mostly labour bums on seats..

twosheds
    Free Member

And at more or less the same time £9,000,000 lotto heritage awarded to ,Auckland Castle to create a museum to house priests robes and similar crap!! Don’t get me started on what that money could have been spent on!!

CaptJon
    Free Member

esselgruntfuttock – Member
    It would seem that a lot of local authorities of this country are callous, unemotional & detached to the feelings & wishes of their local people. No shit Sherlock eh?

Or are being cut to the bone (in the North at least) and can only afford to spend on their statutory duties.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Closure of another important museum. The Durham Light Infantry.’ is closed to new replies.