Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Closing the FSS – What will happen to the national DNA database?
  • one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Worked for the Forensic Science Service 6 or 7 years ago at the national DNA database, looking after the storing of DNA records. Everyday we would pull hundreds of samples for comparison in rape, murder, assault and child abuse cases.

No mention has been made in the news as to what is going to happen to this valuable resource when the FSS is ‘wound up’.

*MODS could you move this to the other forum please*

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Could end up in private hands?

Ewan
    Free Member

So a database with little control applied to how it is used, full of information of people who have never been convicted of a crime, will no longer be used to effectively randomly search people? Good ridence.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Ah yes, that useless DNA database…. 🙄

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Between April 09 and 28th January 2010 the National DNA Database produced 174 matches to murder, 468 to rapes and 27,168 to other crime scenes.

Yeah, useless…

There was a lot of control when I was there. I cant see a problem with taking DNA if your arrested and suspected of a crime. If your proven innocent you could always ask to have your record removed.

What’s the phrase, ‘the innocent have nothing to fear from the Law…’

Ewan
    Free Member

There was a lot of control when I was there. I cant see a problem with taking DNA if your arrested and suspected of a crime. If your proven innocent you could always ask to have your record removed.

No you couldn’t. That was the problem. Once you were on it you were on it. Citing rape stats and talking about pedophiles is just falling back on the ‘won’t someone think of the children’ argument.

If i’m not a criminal (as in convicted by a jury of my peers) why should the government hold my personal details, and basically treat me as a suspect in every crime that is committed from this point on.

Pointless arguement, as it’s been destroyed has it not?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

But they retain it anyway

almost all the matches are when they already have caught the perp. Its just used for confirmation. Virtually no crime has been solved as s result of retaining dna info

Ewan
    Free Member

There is another saying. ‘The law is an ass’.

Helios
    Free Member

If your proven innocent you could always ask to have your record removed.

I shouldn’t have to either:
    a) be “proven” innocent for a record to be deleted – as the burden of proof goes the other way.
    b) ask for it to be removed. It should be removed unless I ask for it to stay.

Yep – cos there are never miscarriages of justice in this country… And it misses again the point of burden of proof – You shouldn’t even have to use that defence that I don’t need to fear the law if I’m innocent – because I should never be put in the position in the first place.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I reckon we should look after it here. We should also take over the entire judicial system and we will judge cases on the forum. Where there is a disagreement (or when everyone agrees except for the Elfen one & TJ 😉 ) we will then refer to the database.

To keep things simple, we only have two punishments. Weeing in shoes & Bombers.

Simple

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

No they dont, part of my job was physically removing the DNA samples from storage for destruction when requested or required by law.

There are many many cases where DNA has been found on site and has produced a match on the DNA database, I quite like to see what statistics you’ve seen that conclusively prove otherwise.

Btw, im not a goody goody that loves the govt. and the police. I just happen to have worked for the police and have seen the work the FSS NDNAD does.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

One happy hippy – you are wrong about the removal. All dana data was retained for all suspects. Following a ECHR ruling this was supposed to be limited to 6 years. Still no statute. even the 6 years is probably illegal but needs to be tested in ECHR

However, an appeal was made to the European Court of Human Rights and the case was heard on 27 February 2008. On 4 December 2008, 17 judges unanimously ruled that there had been a violation of Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights, which refers to a person’s right to a private life, and awarded €42,000 each to the appellants.[9] The judges said keeping the information “could not be regarded as necessary in a democratic society”.[10]

In response to this the Home Office announced in May 2009 a consultation on how to comply with the ruling. The Home Office proposed to continue retaining indefinitely the DNA profiles of anyone convicted of any recordable offence, but to remove other profiles from the database after a period of time – generally 6 or 12 years, depending on the seriousness of the offence.[11] The practice of taking DNA profiles upon arrest is not affected by the decision, but it is not yet clear whether the new retention policies will be applied to fingerprint data.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_National_DNA_Database

Yes there have been many matches but none that have solved the crime – they already had the suspect in every case. No crime has been solved by the retention of DNA from not guilty people.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The genetic profiles of hundreds of ­thousands of innocent people are to be kept on the national DNA database for up to 12 years in a decision critics claim is designed to sidestep a European human rights ruling that the “blanket” retention of suspects’ data is unlawful.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2009/may/07/dna-database-government-retention

glenp
    Free Member

The innocent should have nothing to hide, sure.

But they have nothing to prove either.
    __

The problem with widespread holding of DNA data is that it is such seductive “proof” – because it is assumed to be infallible.

Admiralable
    Free Member

If you’ve commited a crime and had DNA taken then screw your Human Rights. If someone murders someone else what about the victims human rights?

My mum was burgled last month and the guy was caught because of the DNA database. So as far as I’m concerned it’s a good thing. If it helps solve crimes and prevent future crimes then its all gravy!

The Dna on the Database from not guilty people if they’ve not done anything wrong then they’ve nothing to worry about!

uplink
    Free Member

Yes there have been many matches but none that have solved the crime – they already had the suspect in every case. No crime has been solved by the retention of DNA from not guilty people.

I agree with others that DNA shouldn’t be taken unless convicted but I think you’re wrong on that claim TJ

http://www.bbc.co.uk/crimewatch/solved/howtheycaught/colette_aram.shtml

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Please could you provide me evidence of this? Im pretty sure there have been numerous cases where DNA evidence left at a SOC has been matched on the NDNAD and identified a possible suspect.

Infact numerous cold case reviews where DNA has been taken from previously closed cases years after the event have found matches on the NDNAD –

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/Mother39s-Day-rapist-trapped-after.6372206.jp

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23838810-double-rapist-who-evaded-justice-for-23-years-is-caught-by-his-dna.do

And many many more.

Anyway my point of the OP was not to debate the NDNAD validy or effectiveness – more to enquire what will happen to this resource (be it good or bad) and what the likelihood of what 3million DNA samples / tissue samples falling in to the hands of a private corporation…

GrahamS

If i’m not a criminal (as in convicted by a jury of my peers) why should the government hold my personal details, and basically treat me as a suspect in every crime that is committed from this point on.

“The government” already has access to more details about you than you know yourself. All of which could potentially be used to link you with a crime (e.g. bank/credit details, tax, mortgage, insurance, DVLA, passport, NI etc etc)

A DNA profile may be emotive, but “they” hold far more personal details about you than that.
    So why is it so objectionable?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

that case was not solved by the retention of DNA material from a non guilty person

One happy hippy – neither are your two examples. Both were guilty of another offense and the DNA matched.

However I cannot find the data on this so cannot show it.

Admirable – you miss the point.

Its no issue retaining the DNA data of people convicted of crimes – its retaining it for innocent people that is the issue

AdamW
    Free Member

So Admirable – I take it you have sent a sample of blood/sputum/hair/whatever to put on the DNA database previously as it is such a good thing?

toys19
    Free Member

One happy hippy – you are wrong about the removal

TJ this isn’t quite true some people have had their DNA removed. And all innocents in whee ghillie jockoland scotland have their dna removed don’t they?

torygraph so it might not be true
    the register, it’s got colours so it must be true
    more accurate info here

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Aye – scottish law has a bit more respect for the ECHR

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Personally Im not all that adverse to every child born in the UK being profiled at birth and anyone entering the UK for the first time being profiled.

Sry TJ I must have mis-read that or it has been edited to clarify – I dont have anything to support that Innocent people whose DNA has been retained have been implicated subsequently for crimes due to matches on the DNA database. Strange how people who are innocent are unlikely to show up as matches what with them not being criminals on the whole (hence why they were innocent in the first place)…

GrahamS

Its no issue retaining the DNA data of people convicted of crimes – its retaining it for innocent people that is the issue

We’ve been over this before TJ so I’ll just make my point.

If you accept that DNA Profiling is effective at reducing crime then why shouldn’t everyone be on it?

If you think that DNA Profiling is flawed and leads to wrongful convictions then how can you justify foisting that injustice on people that have already served their time?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Its about the balancing of the rights. Convicted people rightly lose some of their rights. Innocent people don’t.

The odds on a successful conviction because of the retention of DNA data from innocent people are so low that IMO and in that of the European court of human rights it does not outweigh the right to privacy of these people.

Why do you lose your human rights for being arrested but not convicted?

epicyclo

toys19 – Member
    …And all innocents in whee ghillie jockoland scotland have their dna removed don’t they?

Why the demeaning racist comment, toys19?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

One happy hippy – fair enough.

GrahamS

Personally Im not all that adverse to every child born in the UK being profiled at birth and anyone entering the UK for the first time being profiled.

+1

I’ve discussed this on here before (but I can’t find the thread). Makes sense to me, but DNA is an emotive issue even once you get past the fallacious “They’ll sell my DNA to Insurance Companies” arguments.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

It makes more sense to have everyone that to retain arrested but not convicted people.

However I still want my privacy and I am glad that the ECHR protects my privacy

uplink
    Free Member

that case was not solved by the retention of DNA material from a non guilty person

It was – Hutchinson’s son was not convicted

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The breakthough came in early 2009, when a relative of the killer was arrested on a minor driving charge.

So we don’t actually know if he was found guilty or not unless you have other info not in that story.

toys19
    Free Member

Why the demeaning racist comment, toys19?

Because I’m demeaning racist scum.
    Or is it that you have lost your sense of humour? Lets face it the scots generally don’t rate the english, so I like to give a bit of ribbing back. I don’t actually hate anyone but I do like a joke, this particular one I culled from Ade Edmonsons 80’s book “How to be a complete and utter bastard”

edit: Actually it might have been from the Spitting Image book, I had them both and can’t remember which it was now.. Very funny anyway.

uplink
    Free Member

So we don’t actually know if he was found guilty or not.

It never went to court

gonefishin
    Free Member

Why not just cut to the chase and tattoo a number onto everyones arm, or maybe implant them with a chip? More simply why not explain, without any appeals to emotion or other logical fallacies, what benefits would be obtained by such a massively expensive, and no doubt bureaucratic system? While you are at it can you also explain why these benefits are also worth giving up even more of my privacy?

GrahamS

Ah found the previous thread (from five months ago):
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/the-dna-database

Not that this will stop anyone going over old ground you understand 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

It still does not cover the type of case I am talking about that is used as a excuse for the retention of data which is :-

crime committed, dna found, checked on database, database match with retained DNA of unconvicted person leads to suspect

In that one a person is arrested, dna taken and found to have a familial match to a crime. Not the same thing

Still possible to do without retention of the data, Its the retention of the data that breaches privacy

nickc

TJ, what is it that worries you about having peoples DNA on a database? Putting aside the privacy issue for a moment, which lets be honest is a bit of a red herring, as there’s so much of our lives now in the public domain that’s so very freely available especially to law enforcement agencies.

What is it about DNA in particular?

GrahamS

More simply why not explain, without any appeals to emotion or other logical fallacies, what benefits would be obtained by such a massively expensive, and no doubt bureaucratic system?

Any viable DNA sample at the scene of a crime could be used to identify a person of interest. This seems very likely to improve the conviction rate.

While you are at it can you also explain why these benefits are also worth giving up even more of my privacy?

What “privacy” do you think you are actually giving up?

(Tip: A DNA profile is just a string of 20 numbers – not your entire 3 billion pair DNA sequence)

GrahamS

A little metaphor:

In the interests of privacy, how about we change the law so that cars only need number plates if the owner has been found guilty of a motoring offence?

kimbers

What is it about DNA in particular?

having tussled with TJ on the issue of cloning before its my experience that he has some underlying phobia of the dastardly double helix

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Closing the FSS – What will happen to the national DNA database?’ is closed to new replies.