Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Close shave with death!
  • cb200
    Free Member

Driving out of the supermarket carpark, I noticed a car had stopped pn the narrow section of road in front of me. Next thing I know, BANG. I thought someone had chucked a breezeblock onto the car from the roof. Then I saw the big yellow barrier right by my head!

So, it seems that the barrier should have been locked in the open position, but wasn’t. The car in front of me had driven into it, smashing their windscreen. That impact knocked the barrier forwards, hitting the hedge, then swinging backwards again into my windscreen.

Quite a shock, as you can imagine. I think my neck will hurt a bit once the adrenline has wirn off as it feels a bit sore and sounds a bit crunchy! I reckon half a second later and it would have through the passenger window and through my skull.

Car’s a write off most likely as the barrier mashed the pillar and bent the roof upwards.

kayak23

Shittin ‘ell 😳

theboatman
    Free Member

Oooof!! That is a shocker pal, glad you’re okay. Car’s can be replaced.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bsims
    Free Member

Get yourself a lottery ticket!

garage-dweller

Lucky escape. Glad you are ok to tell the tale.

bsims
    Free Member

Oh! Very glad to hear you are ok!

Drac

I hope you bought new kegs in the supermarket.

tdog
    Free Member

Well thank god it was only a Mazda, pheewwwwwww!

Nahhhh seriously, as long as you’re doing alright and typing ;d

P-Jay
    Free Member

Shit fire, a chap was killed by a supermarket barrier near me a few years back.

nealglover
    Free Member

Fooooooook.

Lucky escape really. Could have been worse as you said.

Buy a scratch card and a lucky dip.

ElShalimo

10 posts in and nobody has said Koooo-eee

Cougar

Blood and sand.

Good job there was no-one in the passenger seat.

cb200
    Free Member

Cheers. Yeah, I feel very lucky!

The fire service came to safely extract the car from the barrier. I’ll speak to the insurance tomorrow – the supermarket manager assured me that their insurance will sort it all no quibbles.

bruneep

the supermarket manager assured me that their insurance will sort it all no quibbles.

Still expect to be out of pocket somewhere down the line

drnosh
    Free Member

Shit. Bit close that one. Glad you are ok. What happened to the other car and driver?

cb200
    Free Member

The other driver hit it at a different angle, so the barrier just bounced off the windscreen. The windscreen was broken, but no other damage and no injuries.

andyl
    Free Member

the supermarket manager assured me that their insurance will sort it all no quibbles.

Nectar points?

alpin
    Free Member

A bit of wink-wink-whiplash….

Lucky boy, op… Lucky boy!

milky1980
    Free Member

Glad you’re alive!

They have to report things like this to the H&S Executive who will come down on them like a tonne of bricks as it has put a member of the public in serious danger.  Expect the insurers to roll over too.  I also guarantee you will not be left out of pocket, the supermarket will not want any bad publicity from this whatsoever.

funkmasterp

Bloody hell OP. Glad you’re okay. I’d be pushing the supermarket for a free food for life deal. After all you now have a fear of supermarkets and won’t ever be able to visit one again 😉

spooky_b329

As above I’d be pushing for this to be investigated, I’m sure they identified the this hazard and that all ‘triangle’ barriers must be locked open to avoid a pointy girder drifting about in the path of vehicles and killing people.

For their sake, hopefully it was locked open but the other car broke the lock when hitting it.

cb200
    Free Member

It was not locked open; the padlock was intact and locked onto the pillar. Not sure but I think the rope was a temporary measure by the fire service to keep it open.

Note how the impact has bent the barrier!

cb200
    Free Member

Just to clarify, it’s a barrier of two halves meeting in the middle when closed. The right hand one was safely locked in the open position. The left one was seemingly unlocked and free to swing. Doesn’t seem to be tampered padlock, as you can see above pic, it’s intact and locked to the post.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

WHOA

You’re a lucky sausage aren’t you!

takisawa2

I complained about the barrier at a local Safeway’s some years ago but they couldn’t have been less bothered.!!!

You would think any risk analysis would require them to be restricted to half road width & only to swing outwards from the direction of travel

The one I complained about was like a bloody jousting pole. Approaching end on it was all but invisible.

Glad you weren’t injured Op.

Buy a lottery ticket today. 🙂

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Don’t watch Final Destination

rmacattack
    Free Member

wow, thats a lucky escape.

ElShalimo

@cb200 – how are you feeling today? That must have been a rough evening for you.

piha
    Free Member

Crikey! You are a very lucky fellow.

I bet that was quite a fright.

davros

Jesus Christ monkey balls!

Any excuse for a new ‘what car’ thread 😉

mattyfez

I think my neck will hurt a bit once the adrenline has wirn off as it feels a bit sore and sounds a bit crunchy!

Get yourself X-rayed, I had a fractured vertibrea that I didn’t know about for a few days after an accident until I got a really weird click when bending over to put some washing in a machine. I had put it down to general stiffness/pulled muscles.

cb200
    Free Member

@Elshalimo

I’m ok thanks. I’m a pretty rational and logical chap and have been fine, if a bit pensive today. The main emotional spike comes when I think of a family member being in the passenger seat. I’ve driven down that ramp scores of times with my wife or daughter in the passenger seat.

cb200
    Free Member

@mattyfez

Cheers, yeah, I’m waiting in the walk in centre now to get it checked out, and will see my GP in the week.

TrekEX8
    Free Member

To a layman (ie, me), that looks like an incredibly heavy duty piece of kit for what it’s designed for. I would hope that the barrier would be changed to a more lightweight, frangible version?

You were very, very lucky.

spooky_b329

A lightweight barrier isn’t much good if you are trying to secure your car park!

TrekEX8
    Free Member

No, it’s not as secure, but it won’t kill people.

you don’t see many barriers like that on NCP car parks etc., they seem to still make money?

project
    Free Member

https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/2015/04/17/argos-delivery-drivers-death-in-oswestry-was-a-unique-accident/

Happens every so often, remember thats life doing a few spots on loose barriers, theyre a killer if not secured.

Thank god youre still alive, it could have been a lot worse, health and safety will investigate as will the police and shit will fly at the car park owners.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-northamptonshire-42615403/northampton-car-park-barrier-smashes-driver-s-windscreen

imnotverygood

Meh. That’ll buff out

CountZero

Shittin ‘ell

My exact first thought on seeing the photo!

Glad the OP is fine, I can imagine the shock of that taking a while to go, the always-there thought about what could have happened to a passenger. No question about liability, though.

avdave2

What’s all this lucky bollocks, thousands of people have probably driven through there with that barrier unlocked and only the OP gets squashed. Lucky my arse I reckon they’re a bloody liability! 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Close shave with death!’ is closed to new replies.