Close passing ok in South Yorks according to police

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 132 total)
  • Close passing ok in South Yorks according to police
  • Premier Icon martymac
    Subscriber

So, basically, they are saying that as long as there’s no actual collision, there’s no problem at all, and that the highway code is to be ignored.

wow.

nosedive

And totally out of step with the 1.5 metre guidance other forces are promoting

Premier Icon davosaurusrex
    Subscriber

That is absolutely bloody appalling. No wonder the majority don’t want to cycle in this country

tjagain

Same in cambridge.  Apparantly 1.5 m passing clearance would make passing too difficult in cambridge.  Complain loudly to the police force involved.  Highway code is clear.

Onzadog

Don’t know the Derbyshire Police position on this but on the few occasions I’ve needed to report stuff, including dangerous driving and close passes, they’ve made it pretty clear that they’re keeping crime down by considering pretty much everything as a non issue.

RaveyDavey

One of the most inept constabularies in the country. They never fail to amaze me.

Truly scary. Have you considered sending this to your MP etc? Newspapers?

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

S Yorks police 10yrs ago have:

– hit me with one of their own vans, officer didn’t notice.

– told me that a deliberate ramming of me on a bike, then two punches from driver, with witnesses to whole event, was not a prosecuteable case…until I complained to senior officer and then they discovered driver was local miscreant with all sorts of warnings, at which point (three weeks later) did they go and interview and then prosecuted.

Dreadful force then, sounds like little improvement.

The OP’s video officer may (and I’m not sure) be right that a court won’t prosecute. BUT they fly in the face of other forces that are now taking on these things with face to face warnings and letters. Policing isn’t just about the prosecution – it’s about prevention. That’s where the attitude in that call is just plain wrong.

stevextc

Apparantly 1.5 m passing clearance would make passing too difficult in …..

Do you REALLY want this enforced ?

Think carefully in terms of reciprocity before you answer.  Should every cyclist who passes a car with less than 1.5m be prosecuted?

tjagain

Yes I want the highway code enforced.  There is no obligation in the highway code for cyclists to do the same as car drivers are not “vulnerable road users”

Premier Icon ta11pau1
    Subscriber

Enforcing the highway code leads you down a dark path. No reflectors on your pedals at night? Riding on a pavement for a few metres? You’re nicked my son.

Yes, the pass was close, I didn’t bother listening to the whole thing but I gather they thought it was an OK pass and aren’t going to do anything.

nosedive

Thankfully I am not the cyclist in this vid, I came across it on another site.

Matt_aob  exactly what I was thinking, it might not be prosecutable but a 5 minute call from the police could have changed this drivers behaviour for good but syp dont seem to care about that

1.5m is unenforceable, it’s an aspirational target set to try to at least get drivers a few feet away.

But to look at that clip and see anything approaching a safe pass is ridiculous, not that it surprises me with SYP.

Premier Icon ta11pau1
    Subscriber

It’s hard to judge anything from a GoPro video, nothing looks like it does in real life.

Onzadog

1.5m seems to be perfectly enforceable in other countries.

ugarizza

This video has shocked me.

Not a good advert for the police.

Delibertae punishment pass by the SUV . Has 7 – 8 ft of spare tarmac, but sees  the cyclist in front and thinks to himself.-  ‘ I am going to get as close as I can to that guy without hitting him, just to scare him, as it will amuse me”. And that is what he does. SUV driver  is a monster cock, no doubt.

S Y P officer  however ranks up  there as well. If the cyclist had had to go round a pothole, or a cracked bit of tarmac or sunken manhole cover then he would have  been hit from behind. By 2ton of steel at , what looks  pretty fast , I reckon 55- 65 mph. Hospital job no doubt.  Its using a vehicle as a weapon to scare someone. You cannot walk around  brandishing a Samuri sword without armed Police appearing very quickly, even if you havent attacked anyone  yet. However using a car as a means to intimate someone not  in a car is perfectly fine.

And as for that bollocks about deviating from you line, jeez, without constantly watching your rear veiw mirror how is that going to work, and  why should the cyclist have to deviate anyway .- To get out of the way of speeding SUV’s driven by a-holes who are  above / beyond the stubby arms of the law…

tjagain

Tallpaul – my bike is 100% legal bar the pedal reflectors are not CE certified ( but that is actually fairly irrelevant – case law blah blah blah)  I don’t (well very very rarely) break the highway code.  I am in favour of zero tolerance for illegal road use no matter who or what.

tjagain

1.5 m is enforceable.  a few high profile prosecutions and behaviour would change.  Plenty of examples of driving behaviour being changed from LRT buses to better driving in 20 mph limits

aP

Well, that’s another county I’ll never to go to.

stevextc

Yes I want the highway code enforced.  There is no obligation in the highway code for cyclists to do the same as car drivers are not “vulnerable road users”

There is no obligation at all, the highway code is not law.

my bike is 100% legal bar the pedal reflectors are not CE certified ( but that is actually fairly irrelevant – case law blah blah blah)  I don’t (well very very rarely) break the highway code.  I am in favour of zero tolerance for illegal road use no matter who or what.

1.5 m is enforceable.  a few high profile prosecutions and behaviour would change.  Plenty of examples of driving behaviour being changed from LRT buses to better driving in 20 mph limits

So you want a non legal code enforced but refuse to follow the law???

Any distance is enforceable so long as it applies to EVERYONE…

There is no obligation in the highway code for cyclists to do the same as car drivers are not “vulnerable road users”

So what ???

Either they make an actual ACT for 1.5m and it applies to everyone… OR they don’t.

Most drivers don’t ride bikes… as far as they are concerned bikes pass far too close, pass on the inside etc.

Any cyclist (or vulnerable road user) breaking it then gets the book thrown at them and preferably a custodial sentence.. simples. Then drivers will know it’s fair and applied evenly… or they just won’t follow it unless there are cameras.

If vulnerable road users REFUSE to follow the actual LAW … then why would drivers follow a best practice code?    After all they are not the ones getting hurt????

Any cyclist (or vulnerable road user) breaking it then gets the book thrown at them and preferably a custodial sentence.. simples

😆😀😁😀 what a idiot. Even by stw standards thats pretty special.

Premier Icon Bez
    Subscriber

Any distance is enforceable so long as it applies to EVERYONE

Except that it’s difficult to enforce and it needn’t apply to everyone.

rs

FFS! its a losing battle when even people on a bike forum don’t understand the difference between riding a bike and driving a car!

Premier Icon vincienup
    Subscriber

TBH, while close passing bothers me – and there are roads around here (in South Yorkshire and conveniently between my home and work) that I won’t ride because of the traffic speed/density – what really concerns me about every time one of these diagrams get posted with distances marked is that it adds fuel to the idea some/many drivers have that there is somehow a distance between bike and kerb that should be maintained.

Premier Icon kayak23
    Subscriber

That’s appalling. He just misses that drain. Had he decided to give it a wider berth he’d have been hit.

Terrible attitude from the police.

Premier Icon cynic-al
    Subscriber

Wow I’d not known stevextc to be such an idiot, not seeing any difference between a 1+ton car at 30-60mph and the cyclist he passes at whatever tiny distance he thinks is ok .

mickmcd

FFS! its a losing battle when even people on a bike forum don’t understand the difference between riding a bike and driving a car

I can’t gap a Renault clio… Can you

kcr

Think carefully in terms of reciprocity before you answer.  Should every cyclist who passes a car with less than 1.5m be prosecuted?

I’d suggest “think carefully” before posting a response as daft as that.

What threat do you think a cyclist poses to the safety of a driver if they pass closer than 1.5m? Do you think scratching someone’s paintwork is on a par with killing someone when deciding preventative safety legislation?

I’ve had experience of this today, with multiple dangerous close passes at speed by drivers and even motocyclists. There are too many people out there who don’t care about the safety of other road users. Having reported a deliberate, life threatening manoeuvre to Police Scotland in the past, I can confirm they don’t appear to take it seriously. They have run some “close pass campaigns”, but I reckon it was just window dressing.

tjagain

I have found the cops in Edi9nburgh both sympathetic and helpful when I have reported idiots in cars – searching CCTV for evidence.

thepodge

South Yorkshire Police in being shit shocker

Premier Icon cookeaa
    Subscriber

If vulnerable road users REFUSE to follow the actual LAW … then why would drivers follow a best practice code?    After all they are not the ones getting hurt????

Hmmm, except in this instance where a cyclist was complying with the law, was subjected to a punishment pass and found the police response lacking. So the system works if we’re all good little boys and girls on bicycles then does it?

You’re using the same sort of tired toss clarksonites like to throw about, to paraphrase;

“If you lot insist on RLJing, not wearing hiviz, etc, etc… Then expect Billy big bollox in his Navara to buzz you.”

Punishment passes have nothing to do with cyclists not following rules, they happen because people have become impatient, entitled, hate filled arseholes in a society that provides lots of reinforcing messages for that sort of behaviour and seldom presents them with any consequences…

I’d be fine with the police actually enforcing current road traffic law for all road users, and if I rode at night without pedal reflectors I would have to accept the consequences, if that acceptance was the price of having them bother to persue drivers for punishment passing, driving and texting or the myriad of other offences I see people get away with every day that would be just fine. But they won’t they lack the money, people and will.

Premier Icon epicyclo
    Subscriber

As for punishment passes, they only seem to be done to cyclists.

Never seen one done to a tractor for example…

bsims

As for punishment passes, they only seem to be done to cyclists.

Never seen one done to a tractor for example…

I think this highlights their mindset. They are bullies, they will do it to smaller cars and cyclists etc. The more vulnerable the other road user the more dangerous they become. A tractor would give them the response they deserve (not necessarily the correct or morally right response though).

Premier Icon martymac
    Subscriber

I’ve been punishment passed many times.

Whilst driving a 50’ bus.

as noted above, the problem is caused by the fact that there is virtually no chance of drivers being called to account for their behaviour.

bsims

I think they have special exemptions for older vehicles that won’t meet modern safety standards, makes them feel even more superior picking on bigger vehicles!!

Edit.

You meant 50 ft didn’t you?

I guess they feel that a bus driver will be held to account by their company for retalliation, that and they can speed off.

milky1980

I’m not surprised by the inconsistency between police forces on this.  I was knocked off 2 years ago while riding in a cycle lane in a no dropping off zone by a taxi door opened by the passenger getting out into the cycle lane by the big sign saying No Setting Down and the police officer who turned up told me off for riding in the cycle lane!  I’ve also had no real luck in reporting bully drivers – 2 in the last year – as the response has been one of apathy.  Yesterday I had some young guy in a BMW yell at me for ”not paying road tax” and being in his way, don’t even bother reporting that kind of stuff now as nothing is done about it.

All while Cardiff is placing itelf as a Cycle Friendly City 😐

Premier Icon frankconway
    Subscriber

Tosser in car; tosser in police.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

they are saying ..

Just one inept copper it sounds like to me. Haven’t watched the whole thing.

TJ and his 1.5M on every road law again. Didn’t we have this years ago? All roads are different, conditions, traffic and all that comes into account -roads I ride home on for example, I pass cars coming the opposite direction with a few cm to spare! Actually on the main road I do too and I’m on a cycle lane! 1.5m would mean I’d have to queue with all the numpty drivers wouldn’t it? Or is it ok for me to filter with less than 1.5m but not them to pass with less. Just a bloody nonsense.

However, when I’ve reported close passes down here, either to the company of a liveried vehicle or to the cops, I’ve had perfectly decent responses.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 132 total)

The topic ‘Close passing ok in South Yorks according to police’ is closed to new replies.