Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • Close pass? That’ll be 1800 quid please.
  • Premier Icon Phil_H

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-61815609
    Serves you right you entitled shite.
    The other cars managed to leave more space, you just wafted by in your 2 ton tank.
    Bet you wished you’d taken up the offer of the driver improvement course.
    Bet you wish you’d payed the fixed penalty.

Have fun when you come to renew your insurance😡

Premier Icon dissonance

I do like the claim about the last fine being 35-40 years ago.
    So never been caught before then?
    Modern technology really is an arse isnt it allowing cyclists to, relatively cheapily, attach cameras to their bikes to catch those dangerous passes which have been happening for years.

Although to be moderately fair perhaps he thinks his oversized piece of crap is still the same size as the cars he learnt to drive in which would have probably given the space he thought he was giving.

Premier Icon tenfoot

He’s probably the living embodiment of Mr Morris on Friday Night Dinner

Premier Icon scuttler
    Free Member

Hahahahahaha

Premier Icon dyna-ti
    Free Member

Daily mail readership are up in arms, with plenty of stories of cyclists(other road users) who haven’t been prosecuted.

What I find remarkable about their protestations is here we have someone breaking the law, getting caught and being penalized for it.

You would think that’s exactly the thing they were wanting to happen. But no accounting for the average intellectual capacity of your daily mail reader.

Premier Icon flannol
    Free Member

+1 all of the above. Lol.

Premier Icon PJM1974
    Free Member

Firstly, that’s not an arbitrary fine – your wee man had an opportunity to attend a driving course or pay a fixed penalty, he could’ve avoided the cost.

Secondly, I think that it’s about time that fixed penalty fines were adjusted to account for income and wealth – the thicker the wallet, the heavier the fine.

Thirdly, Audi.

Premier Icon PJM1974
    Free Member

But no accounting for the average intellectual capacity of your daily mail reader.

That’s an oxymoron there.

Premier Icon dissonance

But no accounting for the average intellectual capacity of your daily mail reader.

Nah. They are law abiding citizens and hence any law that they break is clearly an unjust one which should be removed from the statue books.
    Or in special circumstances have those special circumstances recorded aka if they are the ones doing it then its fine but if its an unmarried single mother than she should be executed.

Premier Icon garage-dweller
    Free Member

It’s interesting that point about the readership of a certain publication and no doubt others of a similar editorial persuasion…It’s all crime and punishment and death sentences for everything etc. except if it’s a driving offence, which isn’t a real crime anyway. Can you imagine a group of people coming out with “well we only kill 5 innocent people a day why is X illegal” in any other context.

In practice I think a part of this outrage is more about an underlying lack of confidence in the ability to meet an acceptable standard of driving and the fear of having to face the actual consequences of being unable to control their base impulses/ineptitude behind the wheel (see also hit and run accidents – whether car park scrapes or life ending/altering collisions). People object to enforcement because they know it could be them next and because they see elements of their own driving in the cases being brought. I still believe this a significant part of the cyclists “dead cat” arguments and why so many crown court cases seem to result in not guilty verdicts in driving cases.

Driving well is actually quite hard. Personally I work hard at it to consciously try and maintain good standards every time I get behind the wheel because always in my mind is someone’s life might be ended if I mess it up. It needs concentration, self control, a high degree of environmental awareness, empathy, patience, anticipation and planning skills and good risk assessment. Lots of those skills are clearly lacking in a lot of drivers. It takes a bit of courage to say to yourself – “I didn’t get that right, what would I do better next time?”

Premier Icon i_scoff_cake
    Free Member

I’ve had much closer passes this year.

Premier Icon pondo

Brilliant. 😀

Driving well is actually quite hard. Personally I work hard at it to consciously try and maintain good standards every time I get behind the wheel because always in my mind is someone’s life might be ended if I mess it up. It needs concentration, self control, a high degree of environmental awareness, empathy, patience, anticipation and planning skills and good risk assessment. Lots of those skills are clearly lacking in a lot of drivers. It takes a bit of courage to say to yourself – “I didn’t get that right, what would I do better next time?”

100% this – the lack of care and respect that the average driver gives to piloting their car is terrifying.

Premier Icon stumpy01
    Free Member

This bloke got £2500 fine and 6 points for similarly appealing a speed awareness course & fine 🤣

https://road.cc/content/news/nmotd-783-ps60-fine-ends-ps2460-293549

Premier Icon batfink

Still absolutely flabbergasted, believing that some great injustice has been done….. rather than him being in the wrong. What an self-entitled tit. Further evidenced by the “but I haven’t had a fine for X years!”…… surely this rule doesn’t apply to ME? Only bad drivers, right?

I’m a gammon (according to some on here)…..

I drive an Audi

I also drive a 2.5t SUV

I’ll sit behind a cyclist for 5 minutes if I have to until there’s clear road ahead

I give a good 2mtrs+ when I pass

Not all stereotypes are equal

*just had my first speeding ticket (second whilst holding a licence) in 30yrs though – 65/50 on a dual carriageway, awaiting the penalty

Premier Icon Drac

I’m a gammon (according to some on here)…..

`Welcome brethren.

Premier Icon Daffy

The driver “measured” there was 4ft for the cyclist, which was safe. Yeah right! He was barely on the other side of the road in a “car” that’s almost exactly 2m wide. Are these idiots measuring from the kerb and saying “there’s your 4 (supposed to be 6) ft? It’s 6ft FROM the Cyclist!

Premier Icon MrGrim

https://road.cc/content/news/nmotd-783-ps60-fine-ends-ps2460-293549

Miché added: “The driver did not attend court because he was bitten by an animal (squirrel).

Those pesky squirrels!

Premier Icon crazy-legs

I’m sure he could pay the fine by selling his story to one of the local rags which they can run alongside a “who was in the wrong?” poll aimed at getting all the gammons clicking away…

77 year old man, probably a “kindly grandfather” who was no doubt on his way to do important charity work vs a lycra-clad cyclist who was probably hogging the road while also not using the cycle lane, not paying road tax and umm…err, oh yes, hurtling recklessly while also holding up all the hard working honest drivers.

Click here to comment.
    (technically, he wasn’t fined for the close pass, he was fined for not accepting the awareness course and then the Fixed Penalty Notice…)

Premier Icon ico86
    Free Member

Its been said before but I just love the quote:

Mr Humphreys, said: “The fine is absolutely appalling. I am 77 years of age and the last fine I had was 35 to 40 years ago.

“Other than that I have never had a fine and I have had a licence for 60 years.”

So, apart from the fine he had he’s never had a fine! I’m glad he cleared that up for us.

Premier Icon kerley
    Free Member

If the driver is not completely on the other side of the road (as they would be if passing a car) then I want to know why not. It hardly takes any effort to slightly turn the steering wheel to move the car to oncoming lane and then move back again after passing.

Measuring good or bad driving by speeding tickets is an odd approach but seeing as with very limited police on the road then the only way I suppose. In between those known camera positions the drivers can drive like **** all day long.

Premier Icon joebristol

That’s not the closest pass I’ve ever seen but still closer than it should be – the other cars managed to give the whole lane of room – and it’s on video. Then he’s ignored the driver awareness course and a fixed penalty fine – so he deserves the fine. Awful attitude towards it too.

The 2nd linked pass is way closer and then the guy gets out of his car and gets all chopsy about it and threatens violence. He still had to ignore the offered class and fixed penalty to get what he got. Lol @ couldn’t attend court because he got bitten by a squirrel 🐿

Premier Icon n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

As much as I’m glad someone got found guilty of a close pass and was given a sizeable fine, I hate the idea of having to spend hundreds of squids on having decent quality camera technology front and back that can record rides of typically up to ~5 hours…

And then trying not to spend hours after each ride playing back footage, looking for what I would consider poor driving.

Premier Icon intheborders
    Free Member

“This has already cost me about £4,500 with the money for the court and the solicitor. It doesn’t make sense to me.”

It doesn’t make sense that you’ve ignored legal proceedings and spent your cash trying to get out of been guilty? Entitled to55er.

And the 4.5 feet he left, the rider themselves would make up nearly half that…

Premier Icon leffeboy
    Free Member

I don’t get why neither of them turned up at the hearings.  Why would you do that? It does smell of entitlement

Premier Icon 5lab
    Free Member

Secondly, I think that it’s about time that fixed penalty fines were adjusted to account for income and wealth – the thicker the wallet, the heavier the fine.

Income based fines have been a thing for years and would have been applied here. Careless driving (in its lightest form, which I imagine was applicable here) has a fine of 25-75% of weekly income https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/offences/magistrates-court/item/careless-driving-drive-without-due-care-and-attention-revised-2017/

Given the retired chap is driving a £100k Audi, an income of £150k per year might be right

Premier Icon plus-one
    Free Member

Brilliant the more of these arseholes get hefty fines the better !!

Premier Icon garage-dweller
    Free Member

As much as I’m glad someone got found guilty of a close pass and was given a sizeable fine, I hate the idea of having to spend hundreds of squids on having decent quality camera technology front and back that can record rides of typically up to ~5 hours…

And then trying not to spend hours after each ride playing back footage, looking for what I would consider poor driving.

Easier if you’re retired, my father spends a couple of hours a week doing this (regular touring cyclist). He’s got enough spare time it’s a minor impact for him.

I wouldn’t spend the hours on it either but I’m grateful to those who do. After incidents like this week’s neanderthal in a white van who decided shouting at my 13 year old son was appropriate or the many that close pass him each day on his way to school. He’s got a cool head on him when he rides and so far nothing ultra scary but he shouldn’t have to endure this **** just to cycle to school.

Premier Icon thepurist
    Free Member

Funnily enough, any incident that I’d consider reporting to the police tends to stick in my mind so I’d know exactly where to find it. But I also only bother with the worst ones – a lot of bad driving isn’t bad enough to warrant any police action, especially with the constraints they’re working under.

Premier Icon martinhutch
    Free Member

(technically, he wasn’t fined for the close pass, he was fined for not accepting the awareness course and then the Fixed Penalty Notice…)

That’s not quite the case, rejecting the course and the FPN just means he gets a chance to plead not guilty to careless driving in court. He was still fined for the original offence.

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash
    Free Member

It takes a bit of courage to say to yourself – “I didn’t get that right, what would I do better next time?”

Not sure if it’s courage or just self awareness and empathy. I’m obviously careful around cyclists, but I sometimes wonder if I got it right or could have done it better.

Driving 35 years, never had a fine except that one back in 1996 😎

Premier Icon crazy-legs

Given the retired chap is driving a £100k Audi, an income of £150k per year might be right

More likely just to be the usual thing of a lease car/hire purchase etc.
    The sheer number of wankertankers like that on the road, they can’t all be top 1% earners or lottery winners …

Premier Icon Rich_s
    Free Member

He’s not retired. He’s a company director. Of 2 companies who routinely send in their annual returns late, and their accounts as well.

One company took a bounce back loan for 50k in 2020. It also has outstanding HP of £89k. £100k Audi did you say? 🤪

Premier Icon tpbiker
    Free Member

I don’t get why neither of them turned up at the hearings. Why would you do that? It does smell of entitlement

I think it’s the awareness course he never turned up to. Can’t see where it says he never turned up to court

I agree he sounds like an aging gammon though..

Premier Icon devash
    Free Member

Daily mail readership are up in arms, with plenty of stories of cyclists(other road users) who haven’t been prosecuted.

What I find remarkable about their protestations is here we have someone breaking the law, getting caught and being penalized for it.

You would think that’s exactly the thing they were wanting to happen. But no accounting for the average intellectual capacity of your daily mail reader.

It’s the same sentiment and worldview that our current prime minister has. The laws are there to be applied to other people, not them.

Quite scary to think that 35 – 40% of the populace haven’t progressed past the ‘toddler tantrum’ phase of being unable to accept when they have done something wrong.

Premier Icon turboferret
    Free Member

Interesting that GoPro is now apparently a generic term for any sort of action camera.  The footage clearly shows CYCLIQ at the bottom, from a post mounted light with integrated camera specifically to record this sort of incident.

Yes, not the issue, but it piqued my interest.

Premier Icon escrs
    Free Member

You know you can buy cycling cameras for around £50 each that will record for 4+ hours, takes 2 secs to turn on or off

Records in 3 minute sections and takes around 5 mins max to find the clip your looking for and review the footage in a 4 hour recorded ride and the quality is fine for getting dangerous drivers prosecuted/fined/sent on driver awareness courses

Also have a dashcam front and rear in the car which cost more, if someone does hit me or someone else in the car or on the bike then at least i have evidence of who it was

The Chilli cam is meant to be good for the price, 2 cameras for under £100

New Bullet Action Camera

Premier Icon jeffl
    Free Member

Remember seeing this a while back. Sorry for the FB link but the anti-cyclist frothing in the comments is brilliant.

Driver got fined £1200 but at least turned up at court.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid0A1CxhoHb4kmxG96RzpSxkJQGPUZrE2HTjPosDerqgD4dq9ABLRPxX61qnPVW7Gkfl&id=143233165824638&fs=60&focus_composer=0&m_entstream_source=video_home&player_suborigin=entry_point&player_format=permalink

Premier Icon Superficial
    Free Member

It’s all crime and punishment and death sentences for everything etc. except if it’s a driving offence, which isn’t a real crime anyway.

‘Tough on crime’ is just a right wing dog-whistle. Heavy-handed policing just means keeping the poor, the minorities, and the disadvantaged (who are all disproportionately affected) down. The police exists to maintain the interests of large institutions in society and, in turn, to maintain the power structures that exist. If you’re well-off, it’s in your interest to maintain the status quo.

Driving is different, because it affects everyone in society, but particularly the wealthy. We don’t necessarily think in these terms, but deep down we all know this.

Interesting that the papers took the angle sympathising with the gammon, when the story really should be about an entitled moron ignoring warnings and fines. I expect nothing better, of course.

Premier Icon hatter

If I’m riding on my own I have a Cycliq rear camera for exactly this reason.

Guy sounds like a right entitled plum, he’s not in the slightest bit sorry for his crap, dangerous driving but he’s certainly aggrieved at getting caught.

More like this please!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.