Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • close clearance between 105 front mech and chainset?
  • mtbtomo
    Free Member

Anyone else noticed that when a Shimano 105 front mech shifts to the outer ring, it comes awfully close to the back surface of the drive side crank arm?

Must be less than 1mm clearance on my Pinnacle Arkose. It did come with an FSA which I swapped straight off, but it looks like this has a wider ‘stance’ (q factor) to the crank arm so wouldn’t be as close.

Already worn a line in the back of the 105 crank it’s that close. Its the new 5800 crank and mech.

Scapegoat

Just checked the same clearance on my Ultegra front mech cage to the 105 cranks. It’s close, but not too close. There’s about 2-3mm clearance, and if you take up all the slack with the shifter it pushes it to about 1mm.

I would respectfully suggest that you re-check the height, alignment and stop-limits of your mech. … they should be close, but not making any contact.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

try adjusting the H limit screw in a little.
    Sounds like it need setting up correctly.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I’ve adjusted the limit screw to back it off slightly but with the mech in the big ring position, its still flipping close. If I limit it further, it rubs the chain or won’t shift up.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘close clearance between 105 front mech and chainset?’ is closed to new replies.