Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Cloning OS and moving to a larger drive.
  • Wally

256Gb SSD main C drive is now full. 1TB is on it’s way.
    Where do I go from here? (Windows 10 home registered)
    A) Download Windows onto a USB – from where? (Vague memories from last time some years ago)
    B) Some magic voodoo cloning programme (Sounds fab, but not idea what or where)

Advice very gratefully received.
    The advice that my daughter should do this, as it’s her computer science stuff that’s suddenly filled the C-drive is also readily taken. But she is asleep, dreaming of fairies (I hope) whilst daddy deals with the family PC.

Processor is an i5-7400, with 16GB of 1200Mhz and Radeon R7 200 1Gb. Thought about a complete rebuild with new above, but gains vs cost seem very poor?

GeForceJunky

Make external backup of important documents, add new SSD, download Macrium Reflect Free, run from Windows and clone all of existing drive to new SSD, use disk management to expand the new C: volume if Macrium doesn’t automatically. Change boot order to new drive in the BIOS.

You might need another SATA data cable if you don’t have any spares. Should be spare power already.

If you’re on a laptop with only one HD slot, buy USB 3.0 2.5″ HD caddy and use that to clone then swap the drives.

Once you’re happy, old drive can be formatted and used for extra storage.

The other option is just move all documents to the new drive and keep the smaller one for OS and programs.

thols2

If you want to install Windows from scratch, you can make a bootable USB stick from this link:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

DrP

User macrium reflect as suggested…

You don’t need an external caddy… you can just buy a USB to sata cable, and just plug it straight into a USB…
    Clone drive…
    Swap drives over…

Fin…

DrP

Wally

Thanks all. Will use Macrium reflect. Will post when successful.

sharkbait
    Free Member

What DrP said.
    Get the USB/SATA cable and user macrium
    No need to backup as your not erasing the existing drive – yet.

thols2

No need to backup as your not erasing the existing drive – yet.

Better to have one too many backups than one too few.

fooman

You only need 2 things, EaseUS (free download version) and a SATA USB cable.

Plug new HD in with SATA, choose Clone on EaseUS, when it’s done take old drive out put new drive in.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Bookmarked, as I want to move to a SSD.

DrP

it’s actually surprisingly easy..
    I did it as a straight HDD to SSD…

My Dad did it 2 days ago, smaller HDD to bigger SDD.. same procedure with Macrium (but he had to run the clone twice, for some reason??). He used my USB-SATA cable..

Easy..

DrP

Wally

DrP – you were right.
    30mins later of using Macrium reflect I have completely working machine with a larger C drive.
    I am quite gobsmacked how easy that was when you know how. Thanks STW hive.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Cloning OS and moving to a larger drive.’ is closed to new replies.