Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Clogged up tubeless valve cores
  • pipiom
    Free Member

Has anyone perfected a bodge/solution to this, or valve cores that don’t clog?

I’ve tried the “never inflate a tyre when valve is at the bottom” thing, but I still seem to get a few months, if that, out of a pair of em.

All tyres, but chubby and fatty are worse.

If not, what’s the best way to clear them.

Stans sealant in all.

iainc

unscrew and remove core, wash in hot soapy water and put back in, repeat annually 🙂

Tracey

Spray ours with a bit of silicon spray before putting in and never had a problem.

BadlyWiredDog

You can clean them by winding the end off the valve core with some needle-nose pliers – past the stop point – so that the thin stem inside it comes out. You can them poke out any gunk in the tube itself and scrape it off the inner stem thing. Then just screw the end stop back on, it’ll still work fine.

I used to soak them in acetone (nail varnish remover) which also works but it’s easier to just disassemble the things.

thedude
    Free Member

I filed the crimped threaded part so the core can be taken apart. If you think you can’t remember not to unthread it all the way, maybe not a option for you. The other thing is that if you flat on a ride and then need to use a pump, you have a option to clean it there if it’s clogged.

pipiom
    Free Member

thedude:I’m spookily concerned that you know my every move …. “maybe not an option for you” 😂😂

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Just buy some replacement valve cores for peanuts and change them when you need to .

timblake7

I used a bit of green oil degreaser and some tlc. It worked

dirkpitt74

Can’t believe no one has suggested the obvious…..

New bike 😀

Pack of new cores from eBay/Amazon don’t cost much.

What position do people have the valves when storing the bike?

Yak

I swap a new core in then add the gunked up one to my to-be-sorted pile.

Quite like the sound of the pliers technique ^. Might deal with the gunked pile in one hit.

nedrapier

Sounds like you’ve sold yourself an upgrade to the Lindarets Ti tubeless valve, with 85% bigger airhole and completely disassemblamable interiorr.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Clogged up tubeless valve cores’ is closed to new replies.