Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Clocks going forward, anyone going to miss fully dark evening rides?
  • WackoAK
    Free Member

Coming off the back of my first full winter of night riding is anyone else going to miss their evening rides being fully dark when the clocks change this weekend?

prahran
    Free Member

No friggin way! I want my daylight back

organic355
    Free Member

when is it this weekend?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

nope.

trickydisco
    Free Member

absolutely no way!

can’t wait to get out on some evening road rides and mountain biking locally

WackoAK
    Free Member

organic355 – Member
    when is it this weekend?

Yep, Sunday.

sefton
    Free Member

no there scarey! 😳

neil853
    Free Member

No, can’t wait for warm summer DRY nightrides

takisawa2

We’ve done more rides this winter than any previous. I quite like riding in the dark. Clocks change generally sees me back on the FS again. And its still in bits. Need to address this urgently I fear.

D0NK

I guess so yeah, properly dark night rides are fun. Winter you know where you stand, you need lights, summer you’re normally OK, rest of the year I frequently end up getting caught out late without lights.

wallop

Why don’t you just go out later? 😆

elliptic
    Free Member

Well you can always go out later… 😉 [EDIT: ninja-ed!]

Our Thursday rides start at 8pm so people can get kids to bed etc. There’s only a brief midsummer window of six weeks or so when you don’t actually need lights at all.

Lovely being out in the long summer twilight though.

Alex

I really enjoy night riding. Even when it’s grim and cold. Once you’re out, it’s always fab. But I am VERY HAPPY to be starting in the light from next week. I feel I’ve earned it! Also for commuting coming home in the light will be great.

We don’t start most of the time until 7:30pm so we’re always night riding except for about a month in midsummer.

scaredypants

not bothered about the dark but hoping to see a LOT less mud soon

mrblobby
    Free Member

Dark is good for stealthy cheeky trails.

rocketman
    Free Member

No friggin way! I want my daylight back

^^ this

Totally pissed off with lights and thermals now. I don’t care if I never see a battery pack again.

BFITH
    Free Member

I just go out a bit later…still dark then 😀

Del

happy with more light – it’s trail building season 8)

pixelmix
    Free Member

On balance, sunshine and daylight is for the best, but one of the paths I use on my way home from a night ride isn’t really suitable for the day time, as it is too narrow with blind bends, and it will be a nightmare dodging the dog walkers. Guess I’ll need to revert to the boring wide tarmac path instead for that section. 😕

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I’m really looking forward to the longer days. Lovely, dry and warm evenings on dry singletrack. Just-warm-enough evenings for road rides whithout the fear of being mown down by drivers who can’t see well enough in the dark.

Bring it on!

PJM1974
    Free Member

If it were up to me I’d have mainland Britain towed 1500 miles southwest each September and then back again every April.

😀

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

14 degrees here today – tropical! Looking forward to long sunny evening blasts.

D0NK

Why don’t you just go out later?

normally leave at 6 and get back 10ish, get in clean and or put bike away, post ride refuel (and lots of it) and shower, means I’m not getting to bed before 11 – and on a school night too!

fbk
    Free Member

That’s the great thing about seasons. Night riding’s ace but it’ll be nice to get out in evening daylight again…..then when it comes round again, night riding will still be ace 🙂

soobalias
    Free Member

the lighter evenings just mean more people riding, which is a must because the logging this year has made a real mess in places.

i could do with about 200 tyres reshaping a couple of sections.

binners

My battery on my Lumi’s packed in completely last night. Waved two fingers at me. Tis an ex-battery! I take this as my bike expressing its feelings about the upcoming evening rides. In other words “**** all this darkness! And the mud too!”

thesurfbus
    Free Member

Yes, as I have just built a Twin XML light, will still get to use it for a few months as I tend to stay out late.

D0NK

And the mud too!

OP didn’t mention mud – I will happily wave farewell to the mud!

cookeaa

Can’t come soon enough, I like a good night ride, but good old fashioned daylight is far more enjoyable, plus my lights are in need of a bit of maintenance now, it’s been a hard winter…

To be honest I’ll still do summer night rides, they seem faster and less of a muddy slog, plus I quite like starting in the early evening and riding as the sun sets, looping back to do some of the same singletrack again after dark…

The only downside with summer is there tend to be more belligerent dog walkers and Doggers knocking about in my local woods…

WackoAK
    Free Member

I’ve really enjoyed my night rides this season although the only downside is that it generally means being out in shocking weather. Some of the trails feel betetr in the dark than in daylight which may explain why I enjoy it more. It will be good to have daylight and (hopefully) dry rides again though.

Roll on next winter! 😀

Pook

+1 for feeling like I’ve earned my daylight this winter. My bike, clothes, washing machine and mop are all screaming out for dustiness rather than mud when I’m out.
    Last nights ride was beautiful, riding through sunset until the stars appeared, on fast, dry, fun trails.
    Must admit I’m glad to see the back of winter this year.

Onzadog
    Free Member

why can’t it be the other way around? If we must have mud, why can’t it be when the nights are longer so I can wash my bike. Then, if it must be dark, let that happen when it’s dry so I don’t need to clean my bike.

monkfish
    Free Member

not at all. I’ve ridden all through the Winter and by February / March time i’ve had enough of the dark.

Give me Summer dusty rides any day. By the end of August i’ll be looking forward to the night again.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

it’ll be fully dark for a while yet – I don’t go out till 8pm once the kids are in bed.
    Bring on the midsummer epic though 🙂

Hohum
    Free Member

Hell no!

I love daylight and hate darkness.

I guess it is nice to have a bit of variety though.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Done NO riding to speak of this winter, looking forward to getting back into it with the benefit to motivation that comes of lighter evenings!

Night riding is fun, but I want to get my mojo (ha!) back (ha! again) before I even think about going down that particular route 😉

Paceman
    Free Member

…can’t wait 8)

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Nope but rose tinted glasses will tell me different in October.

devs
    Free Member

I have ridden 5-6 times a week in the dark this winter including a 24hr event. You can’t do that unless you love it but even I am a bit weary of the novelty now. Bring on the warm and the sun and balmy evenings where a pub stop till midnight still involves a ride home in daylight.

Oggles
    Free Member

Nope. My lights are broken and out of warranty 🙁

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Clocks going forward, anyone going to miss fully dark evening rides?’ is closed to new replies.