Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Clocks going back Do YOU loose an hour or gain an hour?
  • welshfarmer

Argument in our house. Mrs WF wants to hear what others think.

Now I know that when the clocks go back we technically (for the night in question) loose and hour. She says this affects her for weeks afterwards and she feels she really misses that hour every day. Whereas, I, on the other hand, find the extra hour of daylight in the evenings makes it feel like I have gained an hour from then on.

What do others feel after the coming change?

rene59
    Free Member

Extra hour of daylight in the evening is better than losing one hour of sleep one day a year.

onehundredthidiot

They go forward.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    whitestone
    Free Member

There’s still 24hrs in the day, we just map modern life onto it differently.

finishthat
    Free Member

Spring on – Fall off

Yak

Clocks go forward. But yes, I agree with you.

onehundredthidiot

I walk the dogs at 0600 it’s now just light, it’ll be dark again but only for a couple of weeks. The lighter evening more than make up for this.

milky1980
    Free Member

Extra hour of daylight in the evening is better than losing one hour of sleep one day a year.

^^ That!

Means I can extend the commute home in daylight so it’s worth getting the views. Also means that all-day rides can start at 9am and still have loads of daylight left to finish it in 😀

onehundredthidiot

Spring forward, fall back.

ads678

Doesn’t matter, you either give it back or get it back in a few months any way!

Now phones change automatically i don’t really notice.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Spring on – Fall off

Lefty loosey, righty tighty.

Loose isn’t lose.

jam-bo

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so

jimdubleyou

She says this affects her for weeks afterwards and she feels she really misses that hour every day.

In theory, it takes a day to get over one hour of jet lag.

+ 1 on enjoying the lighter evenings.

perchypanther
    Free Member

She says this affects her for weeks afterwards and she feels she really misses that hour every day

Couldn’t she just go to bed an hour earlier on Saturday night, sleep for her normal duration and wake up at her normal time?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’m not sure my partner would see it acceptable if I had a loose hour.

jam-bo

i’m looking forward to the clock in my car being right.

scotroutes

welshfarmer

Sorry, of course they go forward. I don’t think being in the middle of lambing is a good time to suggest Mrs WF has an extra hour in bed 🙂 She is already only about 1 misplaced utterance off killing me and we have only been going a week.

You don’t lose an hour of sleep, just get up an hour late.

mrhoppy

As a farmer you can’t complain about it. No **** else wants to be buggering about with it. 😀

mahalo

went for a spin after work last night and was chasing the light at about 18:30 – gonna be delighted when it stays out for another hour, at least!

so gain an hour in my book i spoze.

onehundredthidiot

Given its lambing, don’t you lose 200hrs of sleep no matter what the clocks do?

zippykona

Meanwhile in Australia…..

jj55

when is the true midday? The winter one or the summer one?

Cougar

If you’re counting and you go 1 2 3 5 6 7 have you lost a digit or gained one?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Only time I’ve ever seen it affecting anyone is the kids, plays havoc with their sleep pattern when young.

Perhaps the OP has a child bride?. 😆

neilthewheel

Winter. Greenwich Mean Time.

cloudnine
    Free Member

The clocks go forward.. An hour works itself loose and falls off..
    We gain one when it grows back in October

nickhit3
    Free Member

Whereas, I, on the other hand

Big hand or little hand? Minutes or hours? which one is it. Stop writing Loose by the way.

alanf
    Free Member

It’s gain and loss whatever time of year it is.
    You either gain an hour in bed and lose an hour in the evening OR
    lose an hour in bed and gain an hour in the evening.
    It usually takes me a day or two to adjust but then it’s business as usual.

whitestone
    Free Member

Another way of looking at it is that if you don’t live your life by an artifice then nothing really changes. There will be slightly more daylight than the previous day. Since the OP is a farmer and is in the midst of lambing then it’s a case of get up, do the work, go to sleep. Clocks have nothing to do with it.

P-Jay
    Free Member

They go forward, we all lose an hour of imaginary time. On the 26th 1am to 2am is erased, we get it back in October. We don’t really though, it’s just a number, a tool to help us all turn up for work at roughly the same time rather than some magical force that sets how old we are.

less literally, it’s not a bad deal, my body has already started to adjust – I don’t know if it’s 38 years worth of practice, or just the sun coming through the curtains a bit earlier, but I’ve started to wake up earlier every day this week, Monday I’ll feel a bit more tired than usual, but come Tuesday I’ll be over it – in exchange I’ve sacked the Gym membership off and will be riding after work next week instead – it’s a glorious day.

morphio
    Free Member

It’s all just a pointless waste of effort changing clocks and dealing with issues where different regions change their time on different days. Should just bin the whole concept!

xcgb
    Free Member

i’m looking forward to the clock in my car being right.

This!
    I bought a car in December and CBA to find out how to change the clock, next week is pay back time! 😀

Cougar

It’s all just a pointless waste of effort

Saves a lot in power, doesn’t it?

johndoh
    Free Member

Spring on – Fall off

Spring forward / Fall back

slowoldman

You don’t lose an hour of sleep, just get up an hour late

Or go to bed an hour early.
    I never have a problem, as long as I get my 10 hours sleep.

twicewithchips
    Free Member

depends if you’re on nights or not doesn’t it?
    why is the third hand on the clock called a second hand?
    and why is the minute one bigger?

mattsccm
    Free Member

Car clock will be correct for me as well. I can also correct the 5 minutes it gains every 6 months.

imnotverygood

Working shifts means it feels like a difference to me. Great if you are working an hour less on the night shift. Not so good if you have a shift starting at 6am.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Clocks going back Do YOU loose an hour or gain an hour?’ is closed to new replies.