Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Clipless pedals for trail.
  • geomickb
    Free Member

Getting really frustrated because I can’t get going again when I stop on a technical climb. Currently I’m using standard XC Shimano pedals. Would pedals with a platform help?

Maybe Crank Bros Mallet DH? Expensive but good reviews.

Maybe a new ebike? 😀

Mick

akira

I’ve got some Nuke Proof ones that I’m very happy with, few different platform sizes and seem to be lasting well.

zippykona

Luckily I’ve invented a solution to this problem.

Cut up an old tyre and screw it to the instep of your shoes.

This will grip your pedal brilliantly . All you have to do is a couple of strokes pedalling with the arch of your foot.

Also good for sketchy downhills.

pedlad

Is the issue that you can’t clip in cleanly enough first time on the uphill? If so a hybrid spd with a platform may help to guide engagement a bit.

FWIW I use time atac pedals and they rarely fail to engage with clumsy/rushed attempts when in precarious positions.

jimdubleyou

I use the Saint platform / clipless pedals.

They are (so far) bombproof, and give a stable platform if you can’t quite clip in.

lardman
    Free Member

Saint SPD’s for me too. Ive added new longer (very spikey looking) pins, which also help loads. If i cant clip straight in, i still feel like i can ride no problem.

SirHC

New XT trails have a decent platform if you cant get clipped in. I find its the shoe/pedal combination, my 2fo shoes have a cupped section in the sole, clipping in is super easy.

If you are struggling to line up the cleat and the pedal, mark on the shoe with a strip of tape the location of the cleat looking from above, then you can line up the axle with the tape. Good for practice as you get to feel where the cleat is.

Sui
    Free Member

Ive just bought the Saint ones – by heck are they heavy, still if they fair better than my old xt’s ill be happy. I did notice that the pins they come with are largely useless, having zero contact wearing some ME7’s – so maybe some aftermarket biguns will be good..

DezB
    Free Member

I’ve tried all Shimano types – XT platform, the old plastic platorm, those red BMX type ones, new Saints, etc – none of them feel any different to the old style small SPDs when wearing SPD shoes, cos the soles are too stiff to make any difference in feel. I rode my Saints to the shop yesterday in normal trainers and they were fine, but with SPD shoes, no different to this type of XT

can’t speak for Nukeproof etc, cos never tried em.

cookeaa

If its just a case of missing the cleat on set off, I’d just get pedaling with whatever does land on the pedal (probably the middle of your foot?), adjust footing and clip in once you are up and rolling.

Faffing about trying to clip in when you really need to be moving isn’t worth it. What it sounds like you’re missing is the “muscle memory” to hit the cleat consistently every time, that only comes with practice…
    IME/IMO SPDs with a platform don’t really solve the issue, they just give a bigger target for you to stamp at…

howard8703

I had this issue when i had some Shimano mtb spd’s.
    I bit the bullet when i broke one of them and got some Crankbrothers Mallet E’s for the bigger flat pedal style and movement when clipped in. They work pretty well!

doomanic

I used to use Nukeproof Horizon SPD flat pedals in the DH size with 5-10 SPD shoes and they worked together well; easy to clip in to and a huge platform for when I missed but needed to keep going. I’ve since moved to flats, NP Horizon again, and I couldn’t be happier.

Tracey

Cant help you from my experience as the only time I tried them was for a day in Finale which left me battered and bruised however my daughter ended up settling for the the DMR V Twins, she has been using them for a few years and rates them due to the platform and their Shimano compatibility.

mattham

Nukeproof Horizon SPD flat pedals in the DH size

Same here, these are great for me.  Easy to engage, large platform if you miss.  To be fair, I used the Shimano old style ones for years and never had any issues, just push down on whatever I landed on until I could clip in.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

Not all shoes are created equal either – some have a much better cleat channel that guides your feet in to pedals easier. IME shimano shoes slip in to shimano pedals easiest.

geomickb
    Free Member

I have been riding with SPDs for 20 years so I don’t think it’s a muscle memory problem.

I’m just comparing to my mates that wear flats. I just think it’s too hard on a technical climb to get started, steer round rocks and clip in. I was thinking with a platform maybe I could just ignore the clear until I get going.

Mick

tjagain

I find pedals with a platform worse for clipping in.

zezaskar
    Free Member

I now ride with flats, but on my clipless era I learned a trick that made worlds of difference when resetting on steep climbs. You hop on the bike while doing sort of a trackstand and only start pedaling when both feet are clipped. I know, it sounds stupid, but it’s actually quite doable once you get the hang of it

Flaperon

Time ATAC always worked well for me. Never struggled to clip in. The platform itself was a bit useless though if you weren’t clipped in or needed to ride a short distance in trainers. Or if the bolts dropped out your cleat and it falls off.

kerley
    Free Member

I have been riding with SPDs for 20 years so I don’t think it’s a muscle memory problem.

Unless of course your muscle memory is wrong and needs correcting which explains why you can’t clip in without even thinking about it.

seb84

Where are people getting longer pins for the saint pedals?

geomickb
    Free Member

Completely missing the point. I can clip in and out in my sleep. I’m saying that I find it difficult to clip in and get going, half way up a technical climb.

cookeaa

Completely missing the point. I can clip in and out in my sleep. I’m saying that I find it difficult to clip in and get going, half way up a technical climb.

So you’re an expert, except for when an inclined bit of terrain turns you into a newborn foal?

Just buy some caged SPDs if you want, they won’t make getting clipped in on a slope easier, but at least you’ll have a bigger target for your hoof… Or just don’t stop halfway up a climb.

geomickb
    Free Member

Great advice, thanks for being so kind and helpful.

four
    Free Member

I know what you mean and also struggle with this, I’ve used and own both Trail and Race Shimano pedals.

I don’t find the Trail easier to get into but they do offer a platform that I can push against if I’m not able to clip in and get up the hill.

What I’ve found makes a difference is the shoes, my carbon bottom slippy Sidi can be awkward and it’s a bit dancing on ice, where as a treaded SPD sole helps with purchase.

I also find it easier if I’m not in my easiest geR, so I’ve got some resistance when I turn the pedal.

I’m thinking of going back to trail type shoes over my XC racing snakes.

Hope this helps.

geomickb
    Free Member

Thanks @four. I agree about being in the easiest gear, it’s trickier to balance when moving so slowly. I will try moving down one first.

What do you mean by trail shoes?

What trail pedals are you using?

whitestone
    Free Member

I know it’s fashion to spin like a whirling dervish on a climb but I find it’s better to have some resistance so I’ll often be in 3rd or 4th gear rather than first. Just gives you that oomph when you come to an obstacle. This also helps when setting off as the initial push on the leading pedal gives you some momentum to either get clipped in with the other foot or put the instep on the pedal for a few pedal strokes until you can get clipped in.

I also find it is easiest to clip in if I don’t actually try and think about it and especially don’t look at the offending foot and pedal, the muscle memory seems to work better if I just let it do its thing.

BigJohn

I’ve often thought about making a sole for my shoes with a pedal shaped well in the sole, just behind the cleat so that my feet have a stable platform when riding clipped out. It would only work with small SPD pedals but that’s not a problem.

fivealive

I know what you mean and also struggle with this, I’ve used and own both Trail and Race Shimano pedals.

I don’t find the Trail easier to get into but they do offer a platform that I can push against if I’m not able to clip in and get up the hill.

What I’ve found makes a difference is the shoes, my carbon bottom slippy Sidi can be awkward and it’s a bit dancing on ice, where as a treaded SPD sole helps with purchase.

I also find it easier if I’m not in my easiest geR, so I’ve got some resistance when I turn the pedal.

I’m thinking of going back to trail type shoes over my XC racing snakes.

Exactly this. Different shoes for different Pedals. Sidi XC Shoes are a slippery bugger for XC SPD (but are super stiff sole), Whereas Shimano XC Shoes finds the cleat really easily. I use the Shimano XC501 or AM7 for XT Trail pedals (Which are super easy to engage). Currently also trying Crank Brothers Candy 7 on Enduro bike, and these are super easy to engage but the float is bigger and I often heel strike compared to XT Trail. That said my two pairs of XTR PD-M959 pedals (now 20 years old) have created a reliable muscle memory and are the true hero of pedals.

johnx2
    Free Member

I find it difficult to clip in and get going, half way up a technical climb.

It is difficult. The end. Sorry, I’m no good at this either but I can say that flats don’t seem to make much/any difference. In the last couple of years I’ve gone flats on my MTBs, SPD’s now just on my xbike. Weird at first climbing in flats as I’d go to pull the back end over an obstacle and feet just come straight off the pedals.

Anyway, the lads who can just get straight back on and go, flats or clipped in, can also, unlike me, muster a decent trackstand.

zippykona

I’ve often thought about making a sole for my shoes with a pedal shaped well in the sole, just behind the cleat so that my feet have a stable platform when riding clipped out. It would only work with small SPD pedals but that’s not a problem.

May I refer the honourable gentleman to my previous post.

jimdubleyou

Don’t the screws hurt your feet? 😛

four
    Free Member

@Geomickb no probs mate.

By trail shoes I mean shoes like Shimano ME5 or similar as opposed to pure XC shoes like Sidi Drako.

My pedals are XTR Race and I have some XT Trail.

The Sidi are great, but imo a very focussed shoe and really ideal for riders of better ability than me.

I’m going to retire my Sidi having just ordered new ME5s.

mudfish

Yep. Mallet DH are ace. You can pedal not clipped in to get going
    The other advantage is you can clip in whilst pushing the foot backwards. Much better for bike dynamics than wriggling the foot forward to clip in. Although you can do that too. Easy to clip into as long as the pins are not set too high.
    As others have written the shoe is important too. Mallets aren’t going to help with hard plastic soles. Get the Shimano AM7 shoes and set the cleats nice and far back.
    Designed for Shimano by the Athertons specifically to interface with the mallet DH. Nothing wrong with the older ones with a blue flash. You may find those cheaper.
    Having a soft sole to grip the pins when not yet clipped is vital and the channel designed for the Mallet’s clip is a big aid too.
    Near brighton? Size 9 or 10? You could try mine. I’m on flats just now.
    Message me ‘;~}
    Neil

DickBarton

Got XT spds and have used them for years, been a SPD users since they first were introduced in the 90s…I reckon it is down to the shoe rather than the pedal. I’ve got some XC ‘race’ shoes from Specialized and the sole is solid with little ‘grip’ on them…shoes slips around if I don’t get engaged first time. I’ve also got some Shimano MT-somethings and they have a slightly more flexible sole with some grip on them and they work much better if I don’t engage.

Pedal is the same but the sole differs and they both work great for pedalling, but the Shimano shoe is much better if it isn’t clipped in.

SuperScale20
    Free Member

I have used XTR Trail for years and they are bullet proof have hardly had to do any maintenance which is always easy – Unfortunately I have to buy a new pair but this is due to a borrower not returning – I would ways go shimano just from how easy they are to use I am using Sworks trail shoe about 3 years now with stiff sole.

pothead
    Free Member

Mallet DH here, just replaced an 8 yr old set with the updated version and I didn’t really consider anything else as they just work (Shimano AM9 shoes). Only downside is that Crank Brothers use brass cleats which don’t last anywhere near as long as the steel Shimano cleats

alan1977
    Free Member

literally gone down this route after deliberating for ages
    decided i wanted a combo flat/spd pedal to get a feel, looked at dmr versa and funn mamba, but there was complaints about unclipping, and no float … in the end ordered a set of xpedo ambix, and hte midrange shimano am7? gr7? whichever one.. ive already got the true flat ones also so had faith in the shimano range.
    I know everyone says combo pedals are….. rubbish and buy one or the other..

johnx2
    Free Member

I know everyone says combo pedals are….. rubbish and buy one or the other..

I had some shimano combos of some sort on a scott scale for a while so my lads could use it wearing trainers. It worked for this okay, so rubbish is probably a bit strong, but made bugger all difference to my riding/getting clipped in (never an issue to be honest, now getting unclipped…) Just carrying a bit of unnecessary clunkiness about.

geomickb
    Free Member

Just bought Mallets and AM9s. I’ve only ever had cheap shoes and the cheapest SPDs previously so hoping I should now be able to stop for a brew half way up a dam wall. 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Clipless pedals for trail.’ is closed to new replies.